Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

When does a "recovering" alcoholic become a "recovered" alcoholic?

Notices

When does a "recovering" alcoholic become a "recovered" alcoholic?

Old 05-04-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

http://www.xa-speakers.org/speakers/...dar-rapids.mp3

Listen to her....in the beginning she talks about being recovered and being around a long line of "recovered" alcoholics (including the conversation she had with her sponsor). Specifically at 7-8 minutes in.... (7:30-8:50 or so)

I believe I am recovering, my sponsor says recovering, my grandsponsor and their sponsor use the word recovered....it's just semantics.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robbyrobot
i'm a recovered alcoholic drug addict, and have been so for more then 30 years. My alcoholism is in remission and so no longer plays an active role in my daily life. Sobriety has rightfully taken its place in my life. I was in recovery process for those early times of ambivalence after last quitting and just before successfully living free of my alcoholism. Being now forever free though of those addiction chains means sobriety is simply a foundational essential experience of my daily life journey. There is always more to life than what sobriety itself offers for me. I didn't quit my enslavement to alcoholic drinking to become yet enslaved to the other side of the addiction coin: Recovery and constantly remaining in a not-drinking process where everything is filtered through that recovery lense. Quitting drinking was an event for me. Recovery from my alcoholism addiction was a process. Being recovered from same is the successful end result of that recovery process. I am recovered from the illness of my alcoholism.

My life is a journey of continuous days, and so obviously a drunken journey when i drank. Now a sober journey, but nonetheless a journey either way. The sober life i have now has long ago surpassed my drunken life. There is nothing from my drunken life to recover from anymore. This is not to say i don't live with life-long consequences from my past alcoholism. Having said that, these consequences have no recovery potential. They are now and always will remain various facets what now makes me the me i am as a recovered alcoholic drug addict. Ongoing acceptance of my human and personal limitations is an essential practice for my life long enjoyment of being recovered.

For those who choose to see sobriety as the working definition their life, and not as simply a part of their life, then those persons being in perpetual recovery would make better sense then being recovered, as recovered means an end to whatever, while recovery suggests a timelessness without end.

Either way, its really a matter of personal choice how we journey our lives, and i don't believe one choice is less than the other. They both offer successful relief from addiction in unique ways.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The HEALED person was told
now sin no more
or something worse may happen to you

for some not
but
for me drinking is a sin

MM
Old 05-04-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
LDT

Yes, semantics... I agree sugarbear....but for me personally, I stay the course more when I am recovering, not recovered....at least for now.....I also know that when I am blessed enough to have many years of sobriety, I could also change my mind and consider myself recovered.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Dan,

Hi. This is how I think of the "Labels".
I used to be a smoker--about 10 years ago---I always say I am an x-smoker. But, I do know if I take a puff...it will trap me again.

The same with drinking. I consider myself to be an x-drinker. But, I do know if I take a sip.....it will trap me again.

....................it's the pattern again ............,

The word recovery does not seem Final to me. I like to think " X " because that does seen final!

Like in the term X husband or X wife. You are no longer with them. They will always be there....but not as a partner. This may sound silly. Yet, I am divorced. I am not a wife in recovery. It is finalized, they are my "X" and I move on

Just like with my drinking, it is my "X" and I move on

This is how I see it. I hope I was able to help you a bit
Old 05-04-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

digderidoo,

Interesting how you lower-cased some of my uppercase references to self in your edited quote of my original post.

Why is that? No worries, just asking.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm not sure when I'll be fully recovered. At four months I wanted to have a beer but chose not to. So I guess I am still recovering. If I still have to make a conscious decision to fight the temptation, then I am not yet recovered according to me. When/IF I finally get to the point that I don't even consider having a beer, I'll get back to you.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

From my very-last-minute, crash-course education regarding alcoholism....... it seems the resounding consensus is that once the invisible line is crossed there really is no "recovered". I'm not sure if this is also the case with other drugs........ being that alcohol is the only drug i have indulged thus-far in my life, i can't comment.

So far, from what i have been reading on here and elsewhere, the "choices" regarding drinking seem to be as follows:

1. Short-term and intense abuse and indulgence resulting in "ruining" alcohol for yourself, being unable to drink again due to the risk of relapse and or kindle effect

2. Keeping it long-term and "casual", enjoying only during special occasions, dinners, holidays and the like

3. Sobriety, not drinking at all
Old 05-04-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
I'm a recovered alcoholic drug addict, and have been so for more then 30 years. My alcoholism is in remission and so no longer plays an active role in my daily life. Sobriety has rightfully taken its place in my life. I was in recovery process for those early times of ambivalence after last quitting and just before successfully living free of my alcoholism. Being now forever free though of those addiction chains means sobriety is simply a foundational essential experience of my daily life journey. There is always more to life than what sobriety itself offers for me. I didn't quit my enslavement to alcoholic drinking to become yet enslaved to the other side of the addiction coin: recovery and constantly remaining in a not-drinking process where everything is filtered through that recovery lense. Quitting drinking was an event for me. Recovery from my alcoholism addiction was a process. Being recovered from same is the successful end result of that recovery process. I am recovered from the illness of my alcoholism.

My life is a journey of continuous days, and so obviously a drunken journey when I drank. Now a sober journey, but nonetheless a journey either way. The sober life I have now has long ago surpassed my drunken life. There is nothing from my drunken life to recover from anymore. This is not to say I don't live with life-long consequences from my past alcoholism. Having said that, these consequences have no recovery potential. They are now and always will remain various facets what now makes me the me I am as a recovered alcoholic drug addict. Ongoing acceptance of my human and personal limitations is an essential practice for my life long enjoyment of being recovered.

For those who choose to see sobriety as the working definition their life, and not as simply a part of their life, then those persons being in perpetual recovery would make better sense then being recovered, as recovered means an end to whatever, while recovery suggests a timelessness without end.

Either way, its really a matter of personal choice how we journey our lives, and I don't believe one choice is less than the other. They both offer successful relief from addiction in unique ways.
this was so well put, it should be on this page too , wonderful robby
Old 05-04-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am a recovering alcoholic who has not ingested alcohol for 28 years, but I continue to work the steps because my ism is alive and well in this 82 year old man.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
quat

oops lol , sorry mods didn't see it was already here, so now thrice as nice
Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope you have a comfy chair Dan...this is one of those questions that pop up from time to time and lead to really long threads.
Yes, and I've decided to sit this one out beyond saying that I don't drink and that my life is so much better for it.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm one for keeping it simple and don't think too much about which phrases amongst "recovering", recovered", "alcoholic", "problem drinker" apply to myself.

Instead the facts of the matter are and the reality is, I can no longer have a drink, not even the one drink anymore!!

If I keep doing that then life will be on the up!!
Old 05-04-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I hope to remain recovering.

Feeling recovered led to a relapse after 11.5 years sober.

At best I can keep it in remission. Ask anybody who has relapsed after lengthy sobriety and across the board they speak of it's progressive nature.

Not drinking gets much easier, but alcoholism is always there ready to pick up where we left off
Old 05-04-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I will happily call myself a "recovered alcoholic" when the funny farm -days end completely. When there is no notable confusion or discomfort in daily life.

Recovered would mean that I'm totally content being sober but still wired an alcoholic and can never drink again. But I'd use the word recovered there. It would mean clear big results from recovery "work".
Old 05-04-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I could say that I am recovered right up until the point in which I take a drink and then if I get back with the program I would be recovering once more

my sponsor says that we have recovered from our past

then others will say that one is recovered once they have done the steps

seems to be wide open here does it not

MM
Old 05-04-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm just throwing this out there, but the Big Book title page states: "Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism"

I assume the term "recovered" rather than "recovering" was used for a reason?
Old 05-04-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I'm just throwing this out there, but the Big Book title page states: "Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism"

I assume the term "recovered" rather than "recovering" was used for a reason?
Is it sacrilege for me to suggest that perhaps the Big Book is wrong in this instance? Judging by virtually everyone's response to the original question at the start of the thread it would appear it is.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

To me, this thread illustrates that there's not a universal right or wrong answer Dan.

D
Old 05-04-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan1888 View Post
Is it sacrilege for me to suggest that perhaps the Big Book is wrong in this instance? Judging by virtually everyone's response to the original question at the start of the thread it would appear it is.
It's not sacrilege for me Dan. I sometimes attend AA meetings, but I've never fully worked the Steps and the odds are slim to none I will ever work the Steps. I just found it interesting that many AA members (and non-members) use the phrase "in recovery" when AA's most valued text, the Big Book clearly uses the term "recovered". In fact, by doing a BB search on this site AA Alcoholics Big Book Search you'll see that the word "recovered" is used 16 times in the first 164 pages of the book.

But IMO it's a personal choice: I see both sides of the argument, and whatever term is used, I believe it's important for all ex-drinkers/users to at least take a few moments each day to reflect on why they got sober.