Notices

Friendships

Old 05-03-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friendships

I'm 65 days sober now and I've hit a stage where it seems like some of my friends don't find me near as fun as I used to be. The calls to hangout get less frequent and it's kinda depressing. Maybe it's for the best or maybe I boring now. Who knows. Just think about it and need some encouragement to keep this up. It's hard in so many ways.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hatchman-sounds like you might need new friends? Are there ways you could meet new people(thru interests you have, etc?). May sound kind of cheesy but maybe you're not boring- maybe you're better.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

65 days is wonderful. You might have to change out a few friends but it will all be worth it. Good luck and congrats
Old 05-03-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You need a plan for new and improved friends. The wrong people can pull you down.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

This can be one of the toughest things about getting sober but can also make you realize who your true friends are. I had a lot of 'drinking buddies' that I thought were my friends, when I walked away from the bar scene I soon realized that they were just 'drinking buddies'. Not 1 of them called or came by to see how I was doing and I then realized that friendship involves much more than drinking and partying together.

Remember that misery loves company and so do alcoholics.....
Old 05-03-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As long as you stay sober and fo some work on yourself you will make new friends over the coming years. Ones that share your new interests.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
I'm 65 days sober now and I've hit a stage where it seems like some of my friends don't find me near as fun as I used to be. The calls to hangout get less frequent and it's kinda depressing. Maybe it's for the best or maybe I boring now. Who knows. Just think about it and need some encouragement to keep this up. It's hard in so many ways.
You still have friends? Boy that's a blessing.

I remember about a year before I stopped drinking, I planned to visit some old school friends for a few drinks. They met me at the gate, not to bid me welcome, but to turn me away. They certainly did not regard my drinking behaviour as fun.

A few months later my best friend banned me from his house for good. Again because he was no longer amused at my antics.

That was my last friend gone. Not a single one was willing to tolerate my drinking behaviour. It was the kindest thing they ever did for me, probably saved my life.

Conversely, anyone encouraging me to drink, probably for ther own amusement or to justify their own drinking, could hardly be called friends.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is common. My girlfriend broke up with me because I was too "serious" after getting sober. These people don't understand.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is how
I'm feeling I feel
Boring without drinking!!! And starting to think after going in at me to
Stop my boyfriend feels the same!
Old 05-04-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel good bananacake! We don't need that crap to "have fun". That "fun" was fake anyway.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't know if you are like I was. But most of my life,all my friends drank.
People that didn't "party" were boring,and I didn't want anything to do with straight people. I thought people that partied were in the majority.
After I sobered up and changed my lifestyle,I realized the ones that drink and party often are the ones in the minority.
When I quit drinking,I found I had little in common with my old friends. They are still my friends,but people change. And quitting drinking is a major change in anyone's life that drinks. Adjustments have to be made. New friends are one of the adjustments. You are not boring. You are changing.
It takes some getting used to. But it's worth it!
Fred