Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Not sure how to talk to sponsor about this but i am going to do it

Notices

Old 05-03-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I will talk to my sponsor eventually about something she did that reminded me of how my dad treats me and it really irritated me. I am not sure though yet what my part is in it. I need to discuss it with one of my good friends. I have to be honest with my sponsor or how can she help me. I know my sponsor is not my parent and I don't think of her that way more like a close mouthed best friend. I made an amends for what I did and we resolved it but I just cant let go of this one thing it reminded me of how my dad treats me and I know with all my heart that she didn't mean to do it. I will discuss it with her when I meet with her next week. Right now I need to figure out my part in it or whether I am projecting my own issues into this.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anoronha
I know with all my heart that she didn't mean to do it.
If you believe that, then it sure sounds like projection on your part. Just communicate what it was about your past to your sponsor so it won't inadvertently happen again.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

Whatever you do, it may help to bear in mind that there are significant differences between your father and your sponsor.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is there any way you could just take a look at life ,just a bit more relaxed ?

Take a step or two back ?

I know that sounds funny ,it took me years .
Old 05-03-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had a problem with an AA member and it definitely triggered a memory of my mother.

In my case the person was telling me how to do something that she really had no business telling me. I don't care if it was triggered by my past, she overstepped. As an adult in AA, she can share her strength hope and experience, but I do not want/need, nor is it helpful for anyone to tell me how to "do" my sobriety. I will gladly eat my hat should I drink because I didn't listen to her.

Yeah. So not going to happen.