Notices

Alcohol and society.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think this generation gets more education than I did - which was none. My niece and nephew are high school age - they not only get government sponsored talks and programmes but the school has it's own in house education too.

It's a start

They do where I live Karate

D
I normally buy 12 packs ,Oddly they last a week .
Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

book

has anyone here read the book-ALCOHOL LIED TO ME by Craig Beck? it really hits this issue on the head.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

To me alcohol education is like like sex education. If you don't know the dangers and precautions you should take by the time you graduated high school..I believe you had your head in the sand. it doesn't really matter. its a cultural thing. its what your taught at home and by society not by assemblies at school. we had an assembly of drug addicts in high school. They basically spend 2 hrs bragging about their drug use and jail stays...then all the high school girls had a crush on them. and would ask them questions like do they have a girlfriend...these are men in their early thirties with no job. Drugs and alcochol are a romantic thing to a teenager. thats is the culture
Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
To me alcohol education is like like sex education. If you don't know the dangers and precautions you should take by the time you graduated high school..I believe you had your head in the sand. it doesn't really matter. its a cultural thing. its what your taught at home and by society not by assemblies at school. we had an assembly of drug addicts in high school. They basically spend 2 hrs bragging about their drug use and jail stays...then all the high school girls had a crush on them. and would ask them questions like do they have a girlfriend...these are men in their early thirties with no job. Drugs and alcochol are a romantic thing to a teenager. thats is the culture
I agree with the above. Kids are largely going to mimic what they were exposed to at home. If mom and/or dad are always pounding them down, odds are junior will follow suit.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

I posted this in the gratitude forum but it works here too.

Originally Posted by Treerat66 View Post
When I was 16 (many moons ago), three AA members came to a youth group I attended. They shared their addiction histories with the group, which at the time was very interesting but 'obviously' wasn't relevant to me

Due to those AA members I spotted what I was doing to myself the second time around after being almost sober for twelve years.

The youngest of those men would be in their seventies if they are still with us. I have noway of thanking them face to face. But to them and anyone else who share to youth groups

Thank you.