Notices

Alcohol Withdrawal

Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Withdrawal

Hi,

I am in my mid 30s, fairly good shape as I exercise 4 plus times a week. I have struggled with alcoholism for about 10 years. At its worst I would go through 1/5 of vodka a day for days on end, quit for a few weeks, then go right back. This has gone one for the last ten years. Before reading about withdrawal, I had always just thought my periods of sobriety were a prolonged hangover. I would have clammy skin, high blood pressure, inability to maintain sleep. However, these symptoms were never life threatening, and I figured they would just pass. They always did.

I recently quit again for hopefully the last time. Im currently completing day 3 of complete sobriety. Day 2 was the most intense. I had inability to catch my breath. No shakes, or anything....it was like waves of panic attacks. As an exercise enthusiast, I am familiar with supplements. What I am doing is taking animal paks which contain high doeses of vitamins, milk thistle, and valerian.

My question is, because my symptoms are different this time, is the risk high that I could go through more intense withdrawal. I am eating well, and like I said taking high doses of supplements. I am currently on hour 75. I was mostly a day drinker. I don't know if that matters or not, but thought I would add. I'm really concerned I might flip out after reading about DTs, and know I am in the thick of when that could happen. Please advise.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

A lot of what you are asking amounts to medical advice, and we can't give that here. What is normal for one person might be fatal for another. By seeing a doctor, you can detox safely and a doctor might even prescribe something to make you more comfortable.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by itsbeenrough View Post
Hi,

Please advise.
Suppliments won't stop a withdrawal seizure.

SR always recommends that you should see a doctor prior to quitting and detox under medical supervision. As you've already quit, see a doctor if you are concerned, or visit the emergency room if you feel worse.

Quitting is a wise choice. Do it safely.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't feel particularly bad. In fact i'm about to go to the gym. I'm just paranoid, after reading some of the horrific stories on the web. I've been to a doctor before when I didnt feel well after quitting. They always said just get some rest, your blood pressure is high, but you'll be fine. Never prescribed anything, even after telling them my drinking habits. I guess I am just being paranoid, and looking for reassurance.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also I have never done any drugs save for when I was younger I smoked a little pot.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by itsbeenrough View Post
I have struggled with alcoholism for about 10 years.
Did you tell your doctor you had trouble quitting drinking?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yes I did as I have self detoxed myself at home hundreds of times after going on benders, and then getting sober. This has been my mo for 10 years. I drank heavily for weeks, then quit for weeks. Over a period of 10 years I have done this countless times.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

what keeps the cycle going, is I tell myself Im fine. I go to doctor after a scare, and relay my concerns, and they tell me join AA, and stop being paranoid. All the blood work is fine which is miraculous considering the amount of vodka I have put into my system over 10 years. So, I talk myself into biuying a bottle and then another and another because my head convinces me that I am invincible and I desreve to get buzzed.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Did your doctor mention going to an AA meeting?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

(We apparently posted at the same time. This might be more effective to carry on in the chat room, but I have a plug-in problem with chat).

AA saved my and my wife's lives. Have you been to meetings?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have tried AA, and have had bad experiences. I don't care to go into them, as they may detract others from joining, and i believe it is a good program for a lot of people. I tried several meetings in different places, and it just didn't work for me. It wasn't the program that turned me off-moreso it was the people. I've read the blue book cover to cover several times, and it has helpful information.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just got into trouble with alcohol before I knew what happened. It started social in college and grad school, then I realized that I was doing it everyday. Before I knew what happened I was hooked. I have never had any legal problems, and have always been a functional alcoholic ---maintaining my job. However, my personal relationships have suffered. My main concern is my health, however. I have mended the damaged relationships long ago.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

SoberRecovery works for some, and indeed you seem to have a knack for posting (the other half of this program involves reading about and supporting others).

But it's like AA, it only works if you work it.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Itsbeenrough,

I know exactly what you are going through. I'm an avid weightlifter myself and know ALL about supplements after lifting for 12+ years. Supplements will not increase your withdraw symptoms. In fact, you're lucky because you haven't had the shakes which I've had before and that's good. If you haven't started shaking by day 1-2 you most likely won't get them. They are typically an "on the spot" side effect. Also, you consistent exercise does help a lot. Before, when I was going through my withdraws I stopped lifting all together, as in NO exercise. All I did was drink. So your exercise definitely helps get through withdrawal. Anyway, this is just my experiences. Hope this advise helps. Good luck and hang in there!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks dynarider. That is reassuring. I just got back from gym, did protein shake and feel good. I hurt my back about 6 months ago picking up dumbells, put me down for a month. didnt work out. Needless to say i felt into a funk, and picked up heavy drinking when i couldnt gym. So im just like you in that regard. Im just thankful i havent experienced extreme withdrawal like some.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have self detoxed myself at home hundreds of times after going on benders, and then getting sober.
I did too. The last time I suffered several mini strokes.

I'm not suggesting that will happen to you - I'm not a Dr or a clairvoyant.

I am suggesting you take nothing for granted itsbeenrough

D
Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have self detoxed myself at home hundreds of times after going on benders, and then getting sober.
I did too. The last time I suffered several mini strokes.

I'm not suggesting that will happen to you - I'm not a Dr or a clairvoyant.

I am suggesting you take nothing for granted itsbeenrough

D
Old 04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks dee. It something im worried about. But i feel ok going into day 4. I hope im in the clear. Im sorry for your last withdrawal. Hopefully youre doing much better
Old 04-28-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks itsbeenrough - it was the best part of a decade ago now

D
Old 04-28-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. Be safe when you detox. If you start feeling badly, get to the ER.

I hope the support here can help you stop drinking for good.