Notices

Alcohol Withdrawal

Old 04-28-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

From what I've seen at work, patients that end up seizing usually present with shaking, sweating, hallucinations and confusion by day two or three so you should be good. But then again I'm not a doctor.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I could never take detoxing lightly because the idea of it scared me too much. You really should go to the hospital and detox in a safe environment. Considering you created a thread about it is a sign it's worse then usual and something you should get help with.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JTBIV View Post
From what I've seen at work, patients that end up seizing usually present with shaking, sweating, hallucinations and confusion by day two or three so you should be good. But then again I'm not a doctor.
Seizing up was always my biggest concern with detoxing. Then meeting people in detox who were in there early 20's like me and have seized up from alcohol withdrawal put it into perspective. Also considering they drank just like I did.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had withdrawal seizures and I agree that you should see a doctor. I am fine now but I wish I had at the time.

I would also be careful with the valerian. I used to to take it to help me sleep but it left me with hangover like symptoms in the morning. Also some of these herbs are not meant to be used long term.

I hope you will be fine. Praying for you x
Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsbeenrough
Hi,

I am in my mid 30s, fairly good shape as I exercise 4 plus times a week. I have struggled with alcoholism for about 10 years. At its worst I would go through 1/5 of vodka a day for days on end, quit for a few weeks, then go right back. This has gone one for the last ten years. Before reading about withdrawal, I had always just thought my periods of sobriety were a prolonged hangover. I would have clammy skin, high blood pressure, inability to maintain sleep. However, these symptoms were never life threatening, and I figured they would just pass. They always did.

I recently quit again for hopefully the last time. Im currently completing day 3 of complete sobriety. Day 2 was the most intense. I had inability to catch my breath. No shakes, or anything....it was like waves of panic attacks. As an exercise enthusiast, I am familiar with supplements. What I am doing is taking animal paks which contain high doeses of vitamins, milk thistle, and valerian.

My question is, because my symptoms are different this time, is the risk high that I could go through more intense withdrawal. I am eating well, and like I said taking high doses of supplements. I am currently on hour 75. I was mostly a day drinker. I don't know if that matters or not, but thought I would add. I'm really concerned I might flip out after reading about DTs, and know I am in the thick of when that could happen. Please advise.
What i highlighted is pretty dangerous from what i have read on here and elsewhere........... i think the term is "kindling". Basically, when you do that "stop go stop go stop go stop go" pattern that you described it makes quitting harder and harder as the withdrawal symptoms are more severe when you finally do decide to quit. I dont know much about it, just what i've read here on SR and on a couple other sites.

If you are doing this alone, please please please see a qualified person....... dont do this alone. That is a mistake, dont play games with your health.

I mean that........

My 2 cents.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

We cant post medical articles here , But you can google all you want and do a bunch of reading .
Old 04-28-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The blue book does have some excellent information
Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

In my experience ,if it was going to come on the anxiety came first .

And I never knew what the deal was .

Never seized or anything like that ,but did have some miserable tortureous times .