Notices

Diet pills and alcohol

Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diet pills and alcohol

Has anyone here ever been on the diet drug phentermine? I started taking it for a while some time back. I stopped taking it off and on with no noticeable issues.

I stopped drinking in August, and that finally allowed the phen to start working. It's much easier to take advantage of the drug's appetite suppressant qualities without pints of beer, half-priced happy hour appetizers, and drunken Totino's pizza. I'm finally at my goal weight -- same as my high school weight -- so I decided to stop taking the pill. I had a couple of really depressive days which I didn't initially link to stopping the pill. I took the pill again and voila, I was back out of the funk. I've been taking it again for 3-4 weeks now. I talked to my head doc about it, and he said yes, while most medical sites will say there is no withdrawal, stopping can take you down for a week or two before you level back out. Anecdotal evidence on phen forums supports that it's possible to have some sort of withdrawal. I was a little perplexed by this since I'd not taken the drug before with no issues. It was just today that I clicked that when I dropped the pill before, I was still drinking. So quitting the pill sober is the issue for me.

I didn't take a pill today, and I was fine until now. I guess it's starting to work out of my system. And I want a beer soooooo bad. I'm in a funk. I know 1 = 7, so I'm not planning to do that, but this is really hard. When I dropped the pill last month, the second or third day of "the funk" was scary -- I was getting some pretty intense thoughts of dying. I've had bad days before, but nothing like that!

While long-term phen use isn't considered by the medical community to be terribly unsafe, I don't want to be on it forever obviously, and there can be heart complications if you're blood pressure isn't in check (mine is for now),

Any words of wisdom? Even if you've never taken phen specifically, I'm sure there's good advice out there.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never taken it - if your pdoc says it may take a week or two I'd go with that.

I always try and remember although I might be feeling a certain way the feeling is almost certainly due to the change in meds. That helps me deal a little better.

Getting out into the sun, keeping active and exercising helps me too.

Of course if things get scary please go see your Dr immediately.

D
Old 04-27-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think that's a good point. The first time around, I didn't know what was happening to me. This time I do, so since I can expect it, know that I'm not cracking up, and that in the whole scheme of life it's short lived, I should be better. It's just weird how I instantly want to grab a beer and fix it. That scares me a little! Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took it but my doctor weaned me off pretty slowly, three days on for a few weeks, then two. I found myself thinking, Oh, this is an "on day" which means it will be a good day. It does wake one up in a pleasant way, at least it did for me. I recall missing it for a short while and that was that.

If you don't feel better soon maybe you should let your doctor know and see if anything can be done. I'm glad you decided not to self-medicate with beer and wish you the very best.