SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   People likley wont belive this ,but WOW ! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/330092-people-likley-wont-belive-but-wow.html)

karate 04-24-2014 08:08 AM

People likley wont belive this ,but WOW !

New co worker at my full time job , very respectful young fellow .

So I always try to help the new employees ,if nothing else but eating lunch with them .

So about me and the new employee are sitting there eating and he asks the question , how long I have been here ,what I do ,ect -usual stuff .

I told him and asked "what did you do before here ".

He said "I had to quit my old job ,I just could not stand it anymore ".

That got my curiosity up and I asked him why .

He said the Meth and Ice drug use was out of control and they all DRANK
Listerine all day .

Yes you heard that right they DRANK Listerine mouth wash all day .

I will have to say I was floored by that .

I had heard of it , but this first hand account was shocking to say the least .

Dan1888 04-24-2014 08:22 AM

Well yes, that is shocking but the obvious question is, was the guy talking a load of cr@p? I just googled Listerine and apparently it is 27% alcohol, so it's feasible that if someone was desperate enough they might drink it.

No wonder the guy left, he must have been on some seriously cr@ppy wages if his fellow work mates had to resort to buying mouthwash to get drunk instead of normal booze.:lmao

BASEjumper 04-24-2014 09:32 AM

I remember hitting that low, drinking mouthwash. Yuck.

Not proud of that, I had forgotten until I read this thread.

I was full of shame and minty fresh breath!

Taking5 04-24-2014 09:41 AM

Yes, listerene, some furniture cleaners, and even antifreeze, if properly strained through bread, all contain alcohol and will get you a buzz.

Carlotta 04-24-2014 09:45 AM

I have drank listerine way back (years ago) to kill hangovers so no one at my job would smell alcohol on my breath. It is a very stupid and dangerous thing to do btw.

deeker 04-24-2014 09:47 AM

me2

Ryno03272009 04-24-2014 12:52 PM

Helps with hangovers and is banned from jails/prisons because inmates herd the stuff and try to extract the alcohol... by extract i mean they drink bottles of the stuff and get sick but feel a sleight buzz

CousinA 04-24-2014 12:57 PM

Yup. Listerine. NyQuil. Vanilla extract. Those tinctures of whatever in the health food store. It's all booze.

I knew guys at the meetings on the Bowery who started sterno through white bread.

PurpleKnight 04-24-2014 02:01 PM

That sounds awful . . . brushing my teeth in the morning after a heavy night used to make me gag and sometimes vomit . . . never mind downing a bottle of mouthwash!! :eek5:

Thepatman 04-24-2014 02:51 PM

Yikes that sounds really horrible. Glad I catched myself before reaching that point.

But make no mistake, I was heading right down that path.

caboblanco 04-24-2014 02:54 PM

rubbing alcohol and cheap aftershave are popular

malcolmsloan 04-24-2014 04:40 PM

I knew a guy who was discharged from the army for drinking antifreeze. Not alive anymore.

Jfanagle 04-24-2014 04:50 PM

When I was stationed at Fort Ord I walked in on a guy who was straining after shave to get the alcohol to a "drinkable" state? There is no end to desperation when an alky puts their mind to it.

Reason #78 that I am glad I stopped when I did.

Jon

Hearts 04-24-2014 04:54 PM

I sank that low. I thought I was a genius because no one could smell it on my breath. Man, talk about a bad withdrawal. Not only from the alcohol but from all the other chemicals in there.

karate 04-24-2014 05:42 PM

The curiosity got the best of me and I had to do a search on it .

Actually it seems quite common .

jaynie04 04-24-2014 05:45 PM

They took my self tanner away in rehab…I told them if I could get buzzed from licking my legs they would certainly know because my tongue would be tan.

PurpleKnight 04-24-2014 05:53 PM

I can't cope!! . . . some of this is pure madness!! . . . whatever happened to just having 15 cans of Guinness and passing out into bed!!

Anitfreeze?? :gaah

karate 04-24-2014 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by purpleknight (Post 4612460)
I can't cope!! . . . some of this is pure madness!! . . . whatever happened to just having 15 cans of Guinness and passing out into bed!!

Anitfreeze?? :gaah

We have hundreds or gallons of antifreeze on hand at work , and the required labeling MSDS sheets must be kept updated .

Antifreeze is toxic ,Or the kind we have is .

caboblanco 04-24-2014 05:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a97Q2hmM-2I

"buy me brandy..a snifter of wine..who am i kidding? i'll drink turpentine"

Barney..The Simpsons

BrendonM 04-24-2014 06:40 PM

I work in a lab with 100% organically extracted ethanol. Thank god I never degenerated to the point where I would be taking that.