SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Feeling Anxious 3 weeks in (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/330082-feeling-anxious-3-weeks.html)

1meropet1 04-24-2014 06:32 AM

Feeling Anxious 3 weeks in

I have been doing really well. Monday was 3 weeks sober. But i woke up today an emotional wreck, feeling edgey, anxious, angry and ready to just plain ole rip someones head off. It has been a roller coaster ride to say the least but thought just when i felt good TODAY happened. Any one else feeliing like this.... I feel like i am gonna explode!!!!

LBrain 04-24-2014 07:33 AM

congrats on 3 weeks. Yes, we suffer from anxiety in the beginning. Just try to tough it out. Are you working any kind of program? Is there someone you can call?
Just try to relax. Read up on mindfulness exercises and meditation - self-awareness.
Stay strong, you'll get through this.

doggonecarl 04-24-2014 07:41 AM

Congrats on three weeks. But it takes more than month for the mind, body, and psyche to heal from all the damage our drinking has done.

Stay strong and stay sober. It gets better.

Dee74 04-24-2014 04:06 PM

We drank for years, right? :)
Give yourself, mind and body time to heal 1meropet1 :)

D

Thepatman 04-24-2014 04:17 PM

Congratulations on 3 weeks!

It was one of my relapse pattern, not dealing with my emotions in a healthy way. This time I need to invest in a punching bag to take care of the days like you are having ;-)

karate 04-24-2014 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Thepatman (Post 4612245)
Congratulations on 3 weeks!

It was one of my relapse pattern, not dealing with my emotions in a healthy way. This time I need to invest in a punching bag to take care of the days like you are having ;-)

It sure works ,burns off the aderenaline that somehow gets released for no reason .

If you do get a bag ,get someone to show you how to wrap your hands .

Or you can just work on light contact and speed .

This is hard to beat for the price

Century Wavemaster Training Bag Red - Walmart.com

unger894 04-24-2014 08:45 PM

Been there. It happens. It's brief and it gets a lot better.

Gottalife 04-24-2014 08:51 PM

I suffered a lot from this sort of thing in the early days. It lead me back to drink a few times.

Just stopping drinking didn't fix my alcoholism, it brought it to the surface.

When I got really serious about stopping, even though I was attending AA, every few days I would get this awful feeling of dread and not know where it came from. I learned, with the help of my sponsor, that it came from me.

Though I had stopped drinking, my reaction to life was still abnormal. I still lived in the old self centred way, though completely unaware of it, as living like this was the normal thing for me. And that set me up to fail time and again.

I had tried it your way and it didn't work. When I got around to taking action, especially around the fourth step, I began to understand the cause of these feelings (me) and through the rest of the program found a lasting solution.

1Sober1 04-25-2014 01:58 AM

I have been doing really well. Monday was 3 weeks sober. But i woke up today an emotional wreck, feeling edgey, anxious, angry and ready to just plain ole rip someones head off.
Congratulations on your weeks of sobriety.

Google "Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome" (sometimes called P. A. W. S. ). I believe the symptoms you describe are contained within.

LadyBlue0527 04-25-2014 03:40 AM

Three weeks is a huge accomplishment! Cut yourself some slack.

A pointer, the more active you are in recovery the less you feel this way. Not only that, when you get cravings they pass much more quickly.

This is hard work that you're doing and the more work you do the easier it will be.