Notices

On The Brink of Relapse

Old 04-22-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On The Brink of Relapse

Managed 6 days, Faltered. On 3rd day now. Close to faltering again. What do you tell yourself to stop yourself falling?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I kept a journal and would often read what I wrote after a binge. Sometimes the best thing I could do was just go to bed and lie there. Sometimes I would just sit and cry.

It gets so much better once you stay stopped for a while. I promise.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi dollpart - playing "the tape" in my mind helped - you know the one that starts with the first drink and ends with the "Morning After" and all its disappointments, regrets, embarrassments.

Keep posting on SR.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SoberLeigh is right. Keep playing that tape over and over again. Also, stay as busy as possible. Make a list of things to do and stick to it. Find as many distractions as possible. Clean, go for a walk, anything to stay busy. Sitting around doing nothing is not a good thing. Please stay in touch with us.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. The "tape" thing helps but also makes me want that oblivion... temporary as it might be.

I'm writing essays for my course at the moment, not used to writing sober and it's stressful...

x
Old 04-22-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ru12- how does it get better? (that's not a challenge, it's a genuine question)
Old 04-22-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dollpart View Post
Time is your friend and time is your enemy. You need to push passed these early physical cravings and get past the threshold for the mental cravings to subside. You just have to hold on for long enough, it does get better if you can abstain long enough.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

With each passing week it will get a little easier but you will have the 3 to 4 month hurdle where you think you have it beat. You feel great and decide to "reward" yourself with some moderated drinking. Before long you are back to full fledged alcoholism. This is the point where I always failed, the 3 month mark. Just remind yourself in those early days all the reasons why you want to stay sober and try not to think about it. Just go about your life and find something else to occupy your mind. Eventually those massive early cravings will quiet down, then you just have to beat those mental cravings. You can do it if I can, you just have to hold out long enough to see it.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It got better for me just to not wake up feeling like death warmed over and hating myself. To wake up feeling good and ready for the day, whatever it brings. To know I can help my aged mother and not be too drunk or hungover to do so.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Take a walk and let the thoughts pass. I also drank a lot of orange juice- my blood sugar got low- same feeling I got the day of a hangover and your mind knows alcohol brings your blood sugar up quickly. Now fruit juice works instead of alcohol.
A good day drinking was always worse than a bad day sober. Keep your chin up and post when you feel the urge- aolt of support here.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi dollpart. I know it sound simple, but it works for me. I promise not to take the first drink, no matter what. I keep that promise, no matter what. I eat ice cream. I love ice cream, and I would never drink when I eat ice cream. Kind of treat myself like a kid. lol... Anyway, it really does get better. Time passes and you want a drink less, you feel good about the person you have become. It is a good life without the alcohol. I love the clear head, knowing what I did and said last night. Just feeling good about the person I am becoming. I wish you well, and glad you posted.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Give. It. Time.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Have you thought about becoming part of the Class of April support thread dollpart?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-16.html

D
Old 04-22-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One day at a time. Only focus on not having that first drink.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by dollpart View Post
Early sobriety was the worst for me especially week 3. I got thru it a day at a time even a minute at a time if I had to.

HALT is another good one. Are you hungry, angry, lonely or tired? These are actually the top triggers for people.

It gets better in the sense that you learn how to cope differently with things. And I also made sure I tried to keep things as simple as possible. All that is required of me is to get thru today without taking a drink. That is all I need to do.

You can do this.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcella99 View Post
Take a walk and let the thoughts pass. I also drank a lot of orange juice- my blood sugar got low- same feeling I got the day of a hangover and your mind knows alcohol brings your blood sugar up quickly. Now fruit juice works instead of alcohol.
A good day drinking was always worse than a bad day sober. Keep your chin up and post when you feel the urge- aolt of support here.
Gatorade here , for the same reasons .

Spend almost as much as beer used to cost

But no nasty hangovers .
Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

After a month when the cravings were stronger and the memory somehow distant of what I felt like withdrawing I came back on here and re read my first post ever. That helped a lot.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone.

Guess I'm lonely.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
painless

Talking

TAKE A PICTURE OF YOURSELF WHILE USING AND COMPARE IT TO A PICTURE OF YOURSELF WHEN YOU WERE HEALTHY AND NOT USING and u tell us what u like seeing better... Relapsing is part of what us addicts go through no matter what the drink or drug is... Your job is to keep yourself busy and away from PEOPLE PLACES AND THINGS that will make you trip up and relapse... Me personally... I removed every dope dealer from my phone after calling or texting them telling them to STAY CLEAR OF ME UNLESS THEY WANT A PROBLEM... and at 233 lbs of muscle i look pretty big and scary to a skinny heroin dealer...You gotta change your entire life and start a new life where drugs and drink have no place... Get to meetings and find a sponsor because theres no way you can do this by yourself... I go to a private therapist that I pay for outta my own pocket and at $75.00 3 times a week that adds up but its way less then what i used to spend on heroin weekly and it makes me feel great to find myself more and more with every visit... im asking for more hypnosis this week because its amazing what the subconscious mind can do with a little positive suggestion... all my bad dreams are fully gone and now i have great dreams that for the first time in 48 years i can remember my dreams where before i would wake up screaming and would try to wipe all the fresh blood off my hands onto the wall next to my bed... ive seen and done a great many bad things in my lifetime that would make anyone have night terrors for ten lifetimes... but with positive suggestions under hypnosis ive made leaps so im gunna continue to make leaps... please.. your worth saving but u gotta want to surrender... keep posting so we know your ok... much love and prayers... Painless
Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey dollpart, just surrender! If you're a alcoholic then you have two choices. Drink or don't drink. If you continue drinking you will loose everything dear to you. Then your body will shut down from to much poison you put in it. You will most likely die from this affliction know as alcoholism. It is painful death. This is not to scare you, its just the most likely probable outcome of alcoholics who never quit drinking. Or you can not drink. In this case life will be much more predictable. You will experience many things that alcoholism would take from you. The benefits are to numerous to list here. The point is you will have a full filling life ahead of you. Just give it up. The cravings will go away. You will be happier. If you stay sober long enough you will look back on your drinking days and say to yourself, I can't believe I put myself thru that. Hang in there. Were here for ya!