Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Maybe I shouldn't have a sponsor just a therapist.

Notices

Old 04-21-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's to hard to have a sponsor sometimes I'm just feeling discouraged. Why waste the time I'm too dependent on my sponsor. Maybe I should just stick to my therapist. I can't rely on her anyone else only god and my therapist.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you feel as though that is the right path for you, then perhaps that is the way to go.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The sponsors job is yo get you through the steps as soon as possible so you recover from the life threatening illness alcoholism. If they aren't doing that and you haven't worked the steps then find someone who can help you if you want help.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally, I'm working on step #5 and will be admitting the exact nature of my wrongs to my counselor. My first two sponsors just aren't reliable enough. This person never misses an appointment and quite frankly, HE was the one that even suggested that I go to Al-Anon (which led to AA, etc, rest is history). He's been amazing.

Do what feels right, I say.

PS - A friend gave me a wonderful suggestion one time. It was that nothing says you have to have one sponsor that helps you with everything. You could have multiple sponsors, multiple people to call for help, multiple places to find the peace and serenity to help you on your path (meetings, literature, forums, people, sponsor, therapist). A therapist is a great addition to the help!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes you do not need a sponsor. Sometimes you don't need God, you don't need steps, therapists, and whatnot. Notice I said SOMETIMES! Maybe the "normal" route to absolute recovery isn't for you. Sometimes people just have to have a belief in themselves. Sometimes it is okay to take responsibility and know that YOU can overcome the addiction. You started drinking, you put the bottle to your lips so much that your brain decided it wanted the alcohol more than anything else, and you have the power to tell your brain to shut the heck up and stop bugging you. It cant force you to take the bottle and put it to your lips, you have THE POWER to tell your brain NO WAY JOSE! You have the power my friend.

So, If you want help, it's there, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Lots of love.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have worked all the steps. I was just mad at my sponsor last night today I feel better I'm not giving up. She is best thing that happened to me.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Perhaps there is a better way - we think so. For we are now on a different basis; the basis of trusting and relying upon God. We trust infinite God rather than our finite selves. We are in the world to play the role He assigns. Just to the extent that we do as we think He would have us, and humbly rely on Him, does He enable us to match calamity with serenity.