Notices

New to the Boards with Questions

Old 07-01-2004, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the Boards with Questions

Hey All,

I am new here and glad I found you. I think I heading for a serious problem, may even be there already. I started drinking when I was about 30, I guess I was a late bloomer. Over the years my consumption has increased. I guess I am at about a pint of Vodka a day. Its funny how it slips up on you.

So far it has really not caused any problems in my life, I have been lucky. However, I am going through some of life's troubles as we all do and I find myself relying more and more on the alcohol to cope.

I do not think I am in the need of inpatient care, but am afraid of going cold turkey. Is it at all possible to taper your consumption to avoid the worst of the symptoms which I have never really had but am afraid of.

Would love to hear your advice.

Thanks in advance,

Triegger
Old 07-01-2004, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Triegger,

Welcome to SR!

You are lucky to be stopping drinking before it causes big problems in your life. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and that is inevitable if you continue to drink. As far as tapering off, it didn't work for me because I was never able to cut down very much. If I drank, I drank a lot. All or nothing was the only way for me. But, of course you can give it a try if you think it'll work. I'm not sure how much it would cut down on withdrawl symptoms. You also might want to check with you dr before you do anything. Hang in there and keep posting.

Love, Anna
Old 07-01-2004, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Anna, it means alot to know there are others out there who have been there and done that as they say.

I am new to all this and as many of you have struggled with this know I am in that phase where I am telling myself I can be a normal drinker, just got to slow it down a bit. I know when I am blowing sunshine up my own skirt but have not gotten the strength yet to just quit.

But I am working on it and just so glad I found a place to talk about what I am going through.

Thank you all for being out there,

Triegger
Old 07-01-2004, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Triegger - Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I've never been arrested or lost a family to alcohol, and I don't think I drink that much (maybe a bottle of wine a night, give or take a glass or two). But once I get started I can't stop until the bottle's empty or I pass out, and it's getting progressively worse. Just like you, I signed on here for a little perspective on things about a week ago, and I've been sticking around (sober so far) for almost a week, which is the longest I've gone without a drink probably in 13 years (I'm 35).

Just a suggestion - type in "Alcoholism Screening" into your search engine or just go to AA's website, and you'll find a number of self-tests that help you figure out how you compare. Ultimately, this is a decision and journey you'll have to make yourself, but the hardest part for me has been getting perspective beyond my own head. Hopefully these will help you too. Here's a couple of links:

http://alcoholism.about.com/gi/dynam...reening.org%2F

http://alcoholism.about.com/gi/dynam...2Fmasttest.htm

http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/...a.cfm?pageid=4

Hope these are helpful. By the way, I've concluded that I'm an alcoholic. It's not the end of the world, and hopefully it's the beginning of a better one.

God bless, and good luck,
Joe
Old 07-01-2004, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Triegger and welcome!

I would suggest seeing your doctor to decide if it's possible for you to cold turkey it. Alcohol withdrawal is extremly dangerous, depending on your use. Some are able to do it successfully, but it should be monitored. Additionally, your doctor can prescribe some med's to ease the symptoms.

I used to drink a 12 pack nearly every day and was able to quit with out any major physical discomfort, but I checked with my doc first. Just take every precaution to make it as easy as possible for you.

If this is what you decide you need to do then I hope you will look for a means of support in remaining sober. Most can't do it alone, and it makes it so much better to be around and talk with people just like us. Good luck, keep posting.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums Trieggar.

Alcohol may numb the pain of the challenges we face in life but it demands a terrible price.It is good that you want to quit now before your need for it consumes you.

Personally I dont know about "tapering off" but I agree with Anna that you should really go and talk with a professional.

In the meantime keep coming back and keep posting.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Everyone thanks for your encouragement.

I assume it is ok to admit here that I have had a drink today. I know I have not come to terms with it right now just trying to get through the day drinking less.

Maybe that is the wrong way to approach all this but I need to start somewhere. I have also made an appt to talk to my Dr. about quitting so taking it little by little.

I am so thankful I found this resource,

Triegger
Old 07-01-2004, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
learning

Hey triegger,

Withdrawal is different for each individual. I echo the advice to consult your doctor. Statistically speaking the physical withdrawal symptoms last for about three days. In most people it is similar to having a case of the flu. If it feels worse than that in anyway, do not mess around. Get to a doctor immediately.

I applaud you on your self-awareness. From the way you describe your situation, it sounds like you have a lot of it. That has always served me pretty well. When I quit, I needed some techniques to help me break the habit as well. Check out Smart recovery . There is tons of useful information there as well as here. The most important things I learned in changing my behavior was:

1. People who successfully change firmly develop why they are changing in their minds. That is successful changers have an ironclad “Why�. If people have a strong enough reason to change, they are more motivated and direct more energy towards doing so.

2. When you find yourself in the situation where you are most likely to act on your bad habit, find something you can do to break the pattern. Go for a walk, to the beach, for a drive, anything that will help you break your pattern and improve your mental state to deal with the issue at hand.

3. Come up with some constructive alternatives to the bad habit. Take a class, go work out, read a book, post to recovery message boards like here and elsewhere. Anything that you feel will move you towards self-improvement.

4. Find a role model(s). Some one who has achieved what you are setting out to. Make sure that this person’s methods coincide with your own belief system. Change becomes much easier when you have someone you can relate to who has been through the necessary steps of what you are trying to achieve.

5. Practice. There are going to be many situations that will arise where engaging in the bad habit might seem appropriate. Practice reinforcing your why, breaking your pattern, engaging in constructive alternatives and finding a suitable role model. Each time you go through this process and achieve what you are attempting to, it makes the next situation easier. Trust me on this.

6. Be Persistent. If what you truly desire is to eliminate a bad habit, always remember that it is impossible to fail. Every action provides feedback. For example, if you are tying to abstain from alcohol, and you drink one day, you have gotten feedback. You may need to alter your plan for abstinence or you might just need to actively adhere to it.

This is a lot for right now. Just see what you think. Keep posting here and Smartrecovery.org has a good message board as well.
Check out the greeting cafe section.

message board
Old 07-01-2004, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Triegger...

Good for you on taking this step!....I was drinking a lot more than a pint per day when I quit cold turkey. My symptoms were relatively mild but I didn't realize the risk I was taking at the time, so good for you also to check with your doctor first.! I have learned a lot since I quit drinking, a big part of my plan for sobriety is to keep learning.

Mike
Old 07-01-2004, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
learning

For triegger
Old 07-02-2004, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Joe (Brookie) you are just like me. But I think a bottle of wine a night is bad. I can easily down one and then a couple beers or more wine if it is available. I am so embarrased by this. When I go to dinner ...of course one bottle is split...hmmm. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I relate to your drinking and want to stop too. I believe I have a definite problem when a couple just aint enough.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Bradley - Thanks for the hello, and for the reality check. I've got a week of sobriety under my belt, and I'm already trying to convince myself that things weren't that bad. I haven't paid the serious price that many others on the board have already paid, but things have been deteriorating pretty quickly lately and I can foresee them getting much worse. But then again, it's Friday before a long weekend, and every cell of my body is lobbying for a stop by the liquor store on the way home tonight.

Best,
Joe
Old 07-02-2004, 11:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Brookie
I've got a week of sobriety under my belt, and I'm already trying to convince myself that things weren't that bad.
That's right Joe. Alcoholic thinking at it's finest. Sure it's true, some of the citizens here have paid or are still paying a very dear price for their choices, myself included. I've got just over three months sober, and I still catch myself thinking things weren't that bad after all. The losses we experience because of our alcohol and drug abuse are relative. Each individual has his or her own experience. But losses they are, no matter how you measure them no?
Take a different way home tonight Joe. Simple. Start with that.
Good luck. And hey, congratulations for your sober week
Old 07-02-2004, 12:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Thanks Dan!