Notices

Mom vs Son

Old 04-27-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is in regards to the post from "Music"

You sound like a very immature person who is struggling for attention. Your comment does not help nor support any recovering alcoholic and clearly you have never been in a rough situation before. People like you need to stay off forums like this. You only make things worse.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Velketor....I'm so sorry the job didn't work out.

It's a tough situation, but you need to google resources in your area. Perhaps even if there is a homeless shelter you could contact and they can direct you to some resources.

Or, do you move back to where you came from?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Everywhere I lived prior to my mom's had alcoholics living in them. I keep moving to avoid them. It seems everyone drinks religiously.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I live with my mom who continues to drink daily, but it has nothing to do with me. It's her choice to drink and I'm never going to blame my alcohol problems on her. What you should be worried about is staying sober and not what your mom is doing. While she may need to stop drinking herself, you are now living in her house and if she says you can't drink, you should respect that.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i shouldn't be stopping her when she drinks and gets in the car to drive? regardless of my own alcoholic recovery it is my responsibility to keep her off the road to protect her and others who are driving.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Brian's post is excellent:

Originally Posted by Brian316 View Post
I know very much where you are coming from. I'm 6 months sober and following a divorce OWI and the loss of my house I had to move in with my parents. They both drink daily and my mom has been known to get pretty trashed. She blacks out and passes out on the floor and stuff. I've talked to my sponsor about it and while being sympathetic and spoken a little more kindly, he's told me pretty much the same thing people here told you. I am a guest here, it's temporary and I can't fix or help someone that's not looking for it. I pray for them, go to meetings and am trying to pick out an apartment right now. I'm thankful they are here for me and let me stay here. Now that does not mean I have to ride with them in a car or hang around with them while they are drinking. Yes it is hypocritical of an active alcoholic to belittle us, but we can't let another alcoholic's hypocrisy determine OUR recovery.
I am sorry that you are having a tough time. Praying for you x
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velketor View Post
i shouldn't be stopping her when she drinks and gets in the car to drive? regardless of my own alcoholic recovery it is my responsibility to keep her off the road to protect her and others who are driving.
That's not the same thing, but yeah you should stop your mom from driving drunk. You can't make her stay sober though.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

velketor has already brought this point up on the second page of this thread, but after reading the first page, I was going to say...

I completely agree that our own sobriety is our own business, and someone else's sobriety is their own business. We can't fix or help someone that's not looking for help. I get that, and I live by it myself.

But it is extremely worrisome that velketor's mother is driving home from work drunk every day. Not only for her own safety, but for the safety of other drivers on the road, and for the kids walking or biking home from school on the street.

What can we do, or say, in situations like this? Taking into account that for many alcoholics, driving drunk is part and parcel of getting drunk, and simply telling them "don't drive drunk!" is not going to fix the problem.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Oxford House International
Those are self managed clean and sober houses (there are some in Philly). The rent is generally very affordable. I hope it helps