Notices

Another reason i will never drink again!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another reason i will never drink again!

Hi guys, hope your all doing well.

When I got noise induced tinnitus a few years back I hit the bottle hard, drinking 8 beers a night, then the hard stuff, out of depression, to keep calm, to sleep etc. I drank everyday until new years eve.

I relied on alcohol to cope, (as well as dependency) the irony is I have just found out alcohol is toxic to the inner ear! Apparently it causes hearing loss in the high frequencies! So all that time over the couple of years drinking I was unaware I was damaging my hearing even more!

During the few years of having tinnitus it got worse from an everyday loud noise, I couldn't understand why it had permanently worsened my tinnitus, now I have the theory that the heavy drinking weakened my ears to the point were it lowered the ears protection against loud noise!

Now knowing alcohol damages the inner ear has sealed the deal regarding staying sober for life, if i had known I wouldn't have have touched the stuff!

Looking after my hearing is my priority in life!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I did not know that about alcohol and hearing, especially tinnitus But it's a theme I am very familiar with. I was drinking because of depression and anxiety, and some anger issues. The more I drank, the more depressed and anxious and angry I became. It wasn't until I quit that my depression and anxiety and anger became manageable, until they really disappeared almost completely.

Just like your hearing, my mental health is nothing I would ever jeopardize for a drink or a buzz. Not again. I will never go back to that place.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry.....lol!....I'm going to stop posting nonsense like this! Alcoholics don't care about health risks! We know binge drinking is harmful to every part of our body but that didn't stop us! (Like smoking)

Why am I saying this?.....because its my dads birthday tomorrow, I went the the supermarket/store today to buy him some special expensive bottled beers, first time buying alcohol, kept the beer under my bed to give it to him tomorrow but I had to give him his present early! Was highly tempting with it under my bed, I felt very uncomfortable! I didn't care about my ears, the craving was very strong!

Out of sight out of mind!
Old 04-16-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was in a lot of loud rock bands growing up. I have very mild tinnitus in my right ear which seemed to get worse when I was drinking. I don't think alcohol directly affects it, maybe we just notice it more while having the hangover/drinking. I haven't noticed it since I stopped though.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have never been around loud noises, rock bands or concerts and I have it.

I have had it close to 13 years or so. I have not noticed it change at all since I have stopped drinking other than the screaming does not seem so bad but then again that seemed worse after a heavy night of drinking and everything seems worse.

Mine is due to hearing loss and there is not much they can do about it. I had a myringotomy (tubes in the ears) about ten years ago and although that improved my hearing a bit, it did nothing for the tinnitus.

My hearing is pretty bad. I have to use closed caption as I will miss half of what is said. I can't hear certain tones and I can't make a word you are saying if you are whispering or walking away from me.

BUT...I am sober
Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alwaysober, buying that beer and stashing it under your bed is like a fireman rushing into a burning building without putting on his SCBA first.