Notices

Why that Avitar?

Old 04-16-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I love walking in the countryside. We have some beautiful scenery here in the uk. I went for a weekend of walking a fortnight ago in the mountains and it made me feel so much better about myself. So that's why I have my avatar
Old 04-16-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

It's a sign we have at my home group. My chinese zodiac sign is the pig. Not that I believe in that, but pigs are cool. I like pigs and I like my home group.

My previous avatar was Mister Met, the NY Mets mascot. He is the greatest living human being; real or imaginary

-allan
Old 04-16-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think curiosity is the antidote to judgment. That is important to me. :-) Plus, I find I am more open to what the world has to offer when I assume a posture of curiosity.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I'm a spiritual seeker, contemplative and practicing mystic and shaman. I'm drawn to all things of a metaphysical nature.

I'm fascinated by the spiral. As above, so below . For me, the journey doesn't start at middle point and go outward. It starts at the darkest point furthest from the Light and journeys inward. Becoming brighter and brighter with every experience until eventually it reaches the place of Oneness.

It reminds me of The Journey and how we set out,with our only mission being to find our way back home. Enlightened. And grown.

Alpha omega. Beginning and End.

I'm just a freak like that.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I like that, Alpha!!

I could speculate / associate a lot about mine, but very briefly: in a few ways, it represents various layers of the dualistic aspects of my personality, motivations, interests - and how these dualities and layers are in fact interrelated and interact constantly. You can probably tell I love abstractions It's based on an image I downloaded from the internet, and then manipulated in Photoshop quite a bit.

One of these "layers" could be represented by two major driving forces that tend to motivate my interests:
1. conceptual understanding (it's a fractal image, I love chaos theory), and
2. aesthetics (not only visual, basically it's a love of harmony, I think).

The red and blue color scheme is something I always like to use in visual presentations, and I also used them metaphorically as a symbol when I was writing short stories in my youth.

A general observation about avatars: I find it interesting how many people like to change them, some frequently others less so - while some members seem to have settled on one image. This always makes me speculate about people's self perception and self identification... but won't go into that now
Old 04-16-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Because it was finally time in my life to get honest and address issues and make some hard decisions.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Eagles are symbolic for everything I strive for- A1A is the Florida State Hwy. that travels the Atlantic Seaboard all the way to the tip of Key West. To me it is a symbol of beauty and serenity. Good morning everyone here's wishing you all a lifetime of sobriety!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mine symbolizes what it's like to live with manic depression. (it's now called bipolar, but that makes me sound like a big magnet,lol )
Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

mine is a 300ZX, Z-cars are my only real material obsession/weakness. It represents the 14 year old boy inside of me. My struggle is making sure he doesn't call the shots in the rest of my life.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The non-avitar of my profile represents my clutter free life, the minimalist zen of my existence............

That or I'm too lazy to put one up!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Mine just made me smile. I like to change them occasionally, sometimes they're sayings/quotes of lessons I'm learning, other times they're just a funny picture, like a bunny's butt
Old 04-16-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Mine is of a painting I did years ago of an alleyway behind our house. I had an art gallery dealer (who was a bit of a pompous kind of guy) tell me that nobody is going to buy paintings of alleyways and not to bother bringing that collection in But I am a painter and love to paint light in the most seemingly unbeautiful places. (alleyways, warehouses junkyards etc) I am convinced that any subject can be beautiful-just depends on the lighting. Somehow when I post I don't see my avatar. Is that normal?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Ah I see I figured it out. I had no picture in avatar section
Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

mine is pretty self explanatory...some days I'm happy, some days I'm sad. It's quite an emotional roller coaster what we're all going through. When I first joined I had a picture of an eye and tear drop. I'm doing much better from back then.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I watched WAY too much TV as a kid and that's reflected in my ever-changing avitar
Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I have exceptionally large hands. As you can see by my photo they are huge to the extent I try and keep my arms crossed when in public, by crossed I mean having to push them right up into my arm pits which looks a bit strange but is better than being mocked by complete strangers in the street!

My grandson loves them as, he is 2, I can carry him in the palm of one hand! It looks a bit ridiculous but I tend to choose secluded areas so it works out fine.

The only place I have not been mocked for my huge hands is in the rooms of AA. I am a grateful alcoholic because if I had not been one I would never have met people that did not judge me for my condition. I sit at meetings with my hands on my knees and no one says a word:-)

So now the mystery unravels for all at SR as to why I am so passionate about AA. It saved my life in that I fully recovered from alcoholism and, to a lesser extent, am getting over much hands! Hence why I feel brave enough now to put my hand up as an avatar!

I bet a lot of you will read this and think "ah makes sense now"!
Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stoogy View Post
Saw a few pholk feeling a bit down at the moment which happens to us all at some stage, on a brighter note, there are so many cool avitars on this site and was wondering the relavance of your particular avitar to you?

I'll start, I simply live dogs and coffee, it's that simple.
It's hard to argue with that.

I love them both.

I would have a barn full of dogs if my wife would let me.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
It's hard to argue with that.

I love them both.

I would have a barn full of dogs if my wife would let me.
Me too, the thing about dogs is the simplistic love, you always have a good welcome to brighten even the worst of days.🐶🐶🐶
Old 04-16-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BASEjumper View Post
Purple cat purple cat what do you see?

My avatar is pretty self explanatory I think
Looks like you're space walking outside the IST.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I saw mine and I just liked the picture. Not sure if it is a photo shop or not, but it is just a moment in time of an animal doing something silly that we should all do once in awhile.

It reminds me that I don't have to take everything so seriously and it does put a smile on my face when I see it.