Notices

First Meeting

Old 04-14-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Meeting

I did it! I actually did it.

Have written about it. Obviously not with details that compromise anyone's anonymity.

If you want to read it, message me.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job! Congratulations. Now just stick to it and wait for the miracle to happen.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you dollpart! I'm so proud of you.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations, dollpart.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations. I got a lot of advice at my first one. The one that saved me was "KEEP COMING!"

BE WELL
Old 04-14-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you!!! xx
Old 04-14-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

glad to here it dollpart
Old 04-14-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This evening I took a huge step. I went to my first Alcoholic’s Anonymous meeting. Beforehand, I had a lime and soda in a pub in town, because I had time to kill. I sat there inhaling the atmosphere, longing for a half a lager and lime. Just a half but-

but it never is just half, is it?

I was invited back by some people I just met, for a “proper drink” after the “thing” I had to do (“I could tell you what it is but… I’d have to kill you,” I said. “I’ll be back.”)

At half past six I went to the back of a church, asked if this was the meeting, and stepped inside.

It was a candle-light meeting, all the lights out and just candles sprinkling the table. It made it easier to hear others’ stories and eventually, to tell a little bit of mine. The whole time I was thinking about that pint waiting for me. I heard other peoples’ stories and bit my lip for wanting to cry. I could recognise myself, and also see the differences- because every person is different, aren’t they?

I wasn’t going to say anything. I wanted to say something. I couldn’t say anything. Could I?

Shaking leafishly, I spoke.

“Hi, I’m Becky. i’manalkolik.”

“Hi Becky.”

I wanted to swallow my tongue. I wanted to walk out. I wanted to be sick. I started shaking. I spoke.

“I’ve been sat here thinking I’m not an alcoholic, I want to go for a pint. But… I dunno, it’s weird. Well, a few weeks ago- I have bipolar- I was high, and I got given sleeping pills to help. But instead of taking the pills, I took a bottle of wine and all my meds and I jumped out a window. And that’s how I broke my ankle. And that’s why I’m on crutches. I guess I’m lucky to still be here. So, I’m glad I’m here… and thank you, all, for being here too.”

“Thanks, Becky.”

There’s a book I read as a child: “And That’s How I Got My Bad Knee.” A little girl has hurt her knee and makes up all kinds of stories about it: she fought a crocodile, she was attacked by a bear… and then she gets home, and her mum asks what happened. And she says, “I fell off a swing and I hurt my knee,” and she starts to cry. All the bravado stripped, and she just wants a hug.

The ankle was my bad knee. The alcohol was my swing. I needed a hug. I got the hug in the form of support, kindness, and a lift home with another bipolar sufferer, who knew all too well what the alcohol can do to you.

I’ve done it.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Well done Becky. Keep at it and work for the miracle. It seems more likely to come to those who work for it than those who wait for it.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, very few people say there first and last name in a meeting, so I doubt anonmity would be broken. How is a person suppose to go and check on them if they hit the hospital. Hello nurse, is Bob here somewhere in the building?

Did you buy a Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book, the straight facts and procedure on how to achieve sobriety?

Did you also obtain a sponsor to help guide you through the program of action?

DId you get a meeting list?

All these things are crucial, and critical to achieve any kind of meaningful success. If not willing to dive and work a program of action, then thanks for keeping the seat warm for the next guy who really really wants it bad enough to work the 12 step program.

Just remember you get out of it, what you put in. So just going to meetings doesnt cut it very much, it helps for awhile yes. Hope you find something that keeps you coming back. Wish you the best.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
DId you get a meeting list?

This is what I consider the most important AA literature.

Just remember you get out of it, what you put in. So just going to meetings doesnt cut it very much, it helps for awhile yes. Hope you find something that keeps you coming back. Wish you the best.
I feel that for about 90 meetings listening and identifying is very important. During that period ask questions, show up early, maybe help set up the hall, maybe clean up afterwards, go out for coffee afterwards, and try to get into a schedule of different meetings to perhaps meet other people and see how it can work.

BE WELL
Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Uh maybe I'm not ready.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dollpart View Post
Uh maybe I'm not ready.
I felt the same when I came around and was assured my drinking would never get any better than what it was that day. So being undisciplined I proceeded to try to show these professionals wrong. They were not and I finally surrendered to win.

BE WELL
Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It seems like the threshhold of the door of the first AA meeting is around 30 feet wide.

It took me too many years to muster up the courage to cross it.

After that, going to a meeting became like going to a second home.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
I felt the same when I came around and was assured my drinking would never get any better than what it was that day. So being undisciplined I proceeded to try to show these professionals wrong. They were not and I finally surrendered to win.

BE WELL
Thank you- I do feel encouraged. I'm just finding tonight hard.x
Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
It seems like the threshhold of the door of the first AA meeting is around 30 feet wide.

It took me too many years to muster up the courage to cross it.

After that, going to a meeting became like going to a second home.
]

Thanks. It's taken me a long time to get my head round it, but I think I should go again. I'm just scared.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dollpart View Post
]

Thanks. It's taken me a long time to get my head round it, but I think I should go again. I'm just scared.
You should. It has been my experience that nobody has ever been anything but supportive and encouraging at meetings, especially when I was brand new to the program. AA is one of the very few places in this world where I actually feel like I am truly welcome.

I hope you go again
Old 04-16-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks.

I hope I do... I will. There's a meeting tomorrow but two in a week might just exhaust me... it was exhausting admitting stuff.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great job on ur 1st meeting!

There's a saying if you keep going into a barbershop you will eventually get a haircut.

If you keep going into a pub you will pick up eventually. Why go somewhere where you are longing for a drink. What's the point.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

At the beginning I went 6 days a week a few 24 hrs later I still go to 4. Not sure I need that many but I never want to find out. I better get going or I will be late for my Wednesday meeting