Notices

I have made my decision

Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have made my decision

Hello there.

I am a twenty-seven year old male and yesterday I made the decision to stop drinking. The decision came to me after a weekend where I got black out drunk friday and Saturday. On friday I was on a date with a girl I really liked and unfortunately the drunken me showed his ugly face after too many beers. Things were going really well when before that. The night ended with us being angry at eachother and I can't even remember why. On my way home I fell asleep on the tram and woke up in the wring part of the city.

On Saturday I got *********, started arguing with random people, hit on a girl when it was not appropriate and threw up multiple times. Could hardly walk straight but walked the whole way home during the night. Had someone wanted to hurt me I would have been an easy target. Yesterday and today I've been feeling like ****, shaking and my heart rate is through the roof.

The two incidents mentioned above are just the tip of the iceberg. I've hurt people, made an ass of myself so many times. Been drinking alone atleast every weekend and sometimes during the week. Most of the times alone. I've gone up during the middle of the night to steal wine from my parents.

I have both loved and hated the person I become when I'm drunk. I've had many fun moments but I realise now that I can't go on like this. It feels good but at the same time frightening. I've never really thought about quitting altoghether before. Thank you for reading. Felt good to get this of my chest. Wish me luck.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck mate, if you want to quit drinking you're in the right place.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i you think you have a problem and are ready to admit it, you are well on your way.
There way be some ups and downs and I gotta tell ya, its a tough road but it is so worth it.
I have never been the same
Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! Keep posting it helps me a lot, especially early on.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluebird1927 View Post
Good luck mate, if you want to quit drinking you're in the right place.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
i you think you have a problem and are ready to admit it, you are well on your way.
There way be some ups and downs and I gotta tell ya, its a tough road but it is so worth it.
I have never been the same
Yes i can imagine it. Ive done some attempts at quitting before, lasted 24 days. Thats during a ten-year period. How have you changed since quitting?

Originally Posted by seeks View Post
Welcome! Keep posting it helps me a lot, especially early on.
Thank you! Ive been thinking of doing something daily.. i thought i saw a blog function that im gonna use.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome TheRuiner. I commend you for taking a hard look at what alcohol is doing to your life. Unfortunately, I waited for many more years - thinking I could hold on to the fun times and avoid the chaos. I was never able to control the amounts I drank, not once.

I had to make the decision to stop all together - I had proven to myself many times that once it was in my system there was no way to predict the outcome. It became dangerous in the end, in addition to embarrassing and self-destructive. I was hurting and confusing everyone I knew.

When I found SR I wasn't sure I could ever let it go. When I began to post and received support and encouragement, I found the strength to do what I had to in order to save my life. You will too - and you'll never have to suffer the misery many of us have. We're here to help - so glad to meet you.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, SR has helped a lot with my recovery. You will find a great deal of support here. Best wishes.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome TheRuiner. I commend you for taking a hard look at what alcohol is doing to your life. Unfortunately, I waited for many more years - thinking I could hold on to the fun times and avoid the chaos. I was never able to control the amounts I drank, not once.

I had to make the decision to stop all together - I had proven to myself many times that once it was in my system there was no way to predict the outcome. It became dangerous in the end, in addition to embarrassing and self-destructive. I was hurting and confusing everyone I knew.

When I found SR I wasn't sure I could ever let it go. When I began to post and received support and encouragement, I found the strength to do what I had to in order to save my life. You will too - and you'll never have to suffer the misery many of us have. We're here to help - so glad to meet you.
Thank you very much I think i feel the same way now as you did when you found SR. It feels unreal to think the thought that i will never drink alcohol again. I was suprised about how some of my family/friends have reacted when i told them im not going to drink anymore. They were almost trying to convince me to "just cut down on it a little bit".

Originally Posted by hayley86 View Post
Welcome, SR has helped a lot with my recovery. You will find a great deal of support here. Best wishes.
Thank you
Old 04-14-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Big fat welcome xxxxx
Old 04-14-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
Big fat welcome xxxxx
Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome TheRuiner

Sounds like you've made a great choice

D
Old 04-14-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome glad you are here. You can do it. You have taken the first step which is the hardest.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome TR! Glad you found us and joined the family. Come here and post and read any time you feel tempted to drink. We'll help talk you off the ledge.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sick doctor

The longer I drank, the more the bad nights outnumbered the good, and the more I mourned the fun I used to have drinking. It's always a good time to stop...

My family stopped saying 'just have one' when they saw me stop torturing myself, saw my eyes slowly clear up, saw things I hardly noticed myself. There's been no magic wand for my moods or my energy levels, but I wouldn't go back to drinking now.

Good luck, The Ruiner!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You have made a great decision.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

once you decide that is the most important thing. it is very important to see and admit the unwanted side of your drunk personality… please please please keep on. everyday you will feel even more proud of your self. and you are going to see your life becoming more qualified. when you feel down or urge to drink don't hesitate to write here. everyone at SR is so welcoming. you are not alone. go ahead
Old 04-14-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have a way to handle explaining that I am not drinking anymore. This is how I do it when someone invites me to drink...

I say " You know, I just don't want any today."

Amazingly it takes all the pressure off. I just don't want any today. Just say that every day...very manageable and people don't jump to convince you that you have to. They seem to respect it...

Just a small "nope, not today..."

Old 04-15-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by huntingtontx View Post
Welcome to SR. You have made a great decision.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Mia1972 View Post
once you decide that is the most important thing. it is very important to see and admit the unwanted side of your drunk personality… please please please keep on. everyday you will feel even more proud of your self. and you are going to see your life becoming more qualified. when you feel down or urge to drink don't hesitate to write here. everyone at SR is so welcoming. you are not alone. go ahead
Thank you for the encouragement Right now it feels really good.. To feel like im in control of my destiny again. But i dread the weekend.. Thats the first big stepping stone, just to be totally sober for a whole weekend.

Originally Posted by HonestlyTrying View Post
I have a way to handle explaining that I am not drinking anymore. This is how I do it when someone invites me to drink...

I say " You know, I just don't want any today."

Amazingly it takes all the pressure off. I just don't want any today. Just say that every day...very manageable and people don't jump to convince you that you have to. They seem to respect it...

Just a small "nope, not today..."

Thanks for the advice il try that Im gonna tell that to myself everyday. Im not gonna drink today.

The first three days since this awful weekend has been good. I tried to apologize the my date this friday and told her i was sorry and that i realised i have issues with alcohol. But she didn't respond. At least i tried to apologize.

Been keeping mysef busy with work and working out. Doing fine for now!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ruiner this is my 104th sober day. I totally agree about the weekend anxiety. Guess where I am right now? I am in night business and right now I am attending to one of the coolest party of the year enjoying soda, music and people around. This takes some time. So why dont u try to do stg different this weekend that might take you away from the idea of drinking? What is the second biggest thing you enjoy after alcohol? Can u concentrate on that until you form the habit? And hey would u also consider changing your nickname from Ruiner to something more positive since you will not be a ruiner. Even if you do you will be back on track soon )))
Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

One thing that keeps my spirit going is listening to the album the downward spiral by nine inch nails. I took my username from it. At this point (although i understand im by far not one of the persons that has suffered the most from the alcohol abuse here) i really relate to the story of this record. My interpretation of this story is that it is about a human that struggles with addictions of all sorts: love, drugs and sex among other things. I feel ive always overdone the things i like to the point where it's not healthy anymore.