Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Binge Drinking and Blackouts--It doesn't get better

Notices

Old 04-13-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I posted here in October/November of 2012 about binge drinking and blackouts. Despite long periods not drinking, I was having unpredictable blackouts. I took a month or two off drinking and started drinking again, moderately. I had a pretty good 9-10 months after that--you know, the fun kind of drinking, where you can get a good buzz and not drink to oblivion. [Read my old posts if interested.]

Well, 18 months later, I can say that things did not improve. Blackouts reemerged and became increasingly problematic. Besides the potential to destroy my life, the worst part about blackout drinking is that strange, gnawing sense of guilt and shame the days about a blackout. What did I do? What did I say?

I am 24 years old, three weeks sober, and I intend to abstain from alcohol for the rest of my life. And I am pretty damn happy about it.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by JRiverBlues View Post
I posted here in October/November of 2012 about binge drinking and blackouts. Despite long periods not drinking, I was having unpredictable blackouts. I took a month or two off drinking and started drinking again, moderately. I had a pretty good 9-10 months after that--you know, the fun kind of drinking, where you can get a good buzz and not drink to oblivion. [Read my old posts if interested.]

Well, 18 months later, I can say that things did not improve. Blackouts reemerged and became increasingly problematic. Besides the potential to destroy my life, the worst part about blackout drinking is that strange, gnawing sense of guilt and shame the days about a blackout. What did I do? What did I say?

I am 24 years old, three weeks sober, and I intend to abstain from alcohol for the rest of my life. And I am pretty damn happy about it.

Well done on 3 weeks, and great decision to abstain indefinitely it's the best choice you could possibly make. Congratulations.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep blackouts suck, weren't enough to get me to commit to sobriety though. If you haven't had morning withdrawals yet consider yourself lucky. Good idea to quit now
Old 04-13-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by JRiverBlues View Post
In my late teens and early twenties I formed the same intentions, and I don't doubt your sincerity. However, without help I managed to prove the old adage "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

Most people with alcohol use disorder can stop or moderate pretty much under their own power.

But there are some of us who find this impossible, no matter how hard we try, no matter how much we want to stop. We need extra help and a good solid plan for life. We can't handle alcohol, but for us it turns out we can't handle sobriety either.

At 22, having arrived in hell, I went to AA and followed the simple suggestions, and I haven't needed to drink since.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good job on 3 weeks xxxxxxxx
Old 04-13-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am 36 and ive been a binge drinker since i was about 15. If you cant control your drinking and lets face it people like you and me clearly find it almost impossible, then just stop altogether.

I know you say you had a spell when you were drinking with out getting totally wrecked but it inevitably descends into drinking till you black out over time. If you can accept that you cant drink alcohol anymore while you're still only 24 then that would be a great thing for your life. Dont wait another 10 years like I did till you stop because it will be 10 years of going round in circles while embarrassing yourself through the daft things you say and do due to drinking ridiculous amounts of alcohol.

drink - feel like sh1t - recover - drink - feel like sh1t - recover - drink - feel like sh1t - recover...and so it goes on and on. Its not a good way to spend your life. Stop now and enjoy the rest of your life.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three weeks sober. You're smart to stop drinking while you're still young. You'll have fewer regrets when you get to be my age if you stay sober.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey JRiver. Glad to see you. Sometimes we need further convincing that we can't touch it. I'd love to go back to being 24 & relive my life without the alcohol. Things would have been so different. Proud of you for seeing what needs to be done and taking control of your life.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on three weeks and a smart decision. Black outs were what I hated the most. Being sober is so much better, knowing what I did and said the night before.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back JRiverBlues - congrats on 3 weeks
Old 04-13-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A progressively increasing number of blackouts are what made me seek sobriety, and the additional benefits of living clear headed has kept me sober. Congratulations on three weeks!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know what you mean by blackouts. Their scary as hell. Since I always drink at home, I would wake up in the mornings with all these empty bottles and maybe an 18 pack of beer and don't remember getting them. If I keep going like this, I'm probably gonna end up killing somebody driving around like that, and not even remember it. That's guilt (and jailtime) I don't need. That's something I could not live with, killing someone, maybe a kid.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Nope, it doesn't get better. But it does get a lot worse! Congrats on deciding to stop now before it does. Any time you feel you need help, you know where to find it.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo View Post
If you haven't had morning withdrawals yet consider yourself lucky.
I posted elsewhere that I believe a morning hangover to be mild withdrawl. Withdrawl gets a lot worse too!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate it.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
A progressively increasing number of blackouts are what made me seek sobriety, and the additional benefits of living clear headed has kept me sober. Congratulations on three weeks!

Agree ,I got to where I could not remember a darn thing I needed to .
Old 04-15-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have seen countless sober people die, decades upon decades of being sober, they go back out and they drink. The progressive nature of our disease sits with us when we are sober as well. This explains why a 1000 year sober man, realpases and dies quite quickly after taking a drink.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

50 days! Here's to 50 more.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Jriverblues

D