Notices

I did not make it .....

Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just DON'T PICK UP THAT FIRST DRINK.

PERIOD.

You can do this Karate. Give yourself a fighting chance this time around.

Sorry about your grandma. Do this for her!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

actually 'snuff' is a misused term. it goes back to the early days of kings and queens, mozart and all that and was in frequent use by the aristocracy well into the 19 cent. And still used into the late 20th by a fair amount. it wasn't 'polite' to smoke in public so folks got their fix by using snuff. you can still find it today if you really look for it. Copenhagen, skoal and all of the imitators market are what is termed as smokeless tobacco - chewing tobacco. Not in the sense of the old time baseball players, 'redman' etc. it is more finely ground and is not chewed but rather 'sucked' on or allowed to enter the blood stream by just being there. snuff is a dried powdery tobacco product that is literally 'snuffed' into the nasal passage - which gives the same effect. If you remember 'Blazing Saddles', there is a scene where Harvey Korman takes a pinch of snuff - one for each nostril. That is snuff. The ssst that I have in my mouth right now is called 'chew' or 'dip'. "Hey, can I bum a dip from you?" That is what most users call it. You can tell a cowboy dips by the circular outline worn in his bluejeans back pocket.

As Earl Campbell would say, "Skoal brother."
Old 04-13-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I'm glad you are not drinking because your grandmother is in ICU. If you did, that would be using her tragedy as an excuse for you to get drunk. That would not honor her, would it? It would make all her pain about you, not her. It would be selfish, and it would make you not fully present for her when she needs you.

One idea that was a pivotal moment for me was when I realized that I don't get a medal for suddenly doing things that I should have been doing all along.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by karate View Post
Just have to stop the habit of getting a beer on the way home after work .
Congrats on day 3 with the alcohol.

Regarding your above statement, I think you know deep down that it's much more than simply not stopping at the store. I failed over and over because I also thought that sheer willpower should be enough to get sober. Most of us need help...I hope you find the strength to accept it.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
actually 'snuff' is a misused term. it goes back to the early days of kings and queens, mozart and all that and was in frequent use by the aristocracy well into the 19 cent. And still used into the late 20th by a fair amount. it wasn't 'polite' to smoke in public so folks got their fix by using snuff. you can still find it today if you really look for it. Copenhagen, skoal and all of the imitators market are what is termed as smokeless tobacco - chewing tobacco. Not in the sense of the old time baseball players, 'redman' etc. it is more finely ground and is not chewed but rather 'sucked' on or allowed to enter the blood stream by just being there. snuff is a dried powdery tobacco product that is literally 'snuffed' into the nasal passage - which gives the same effect. If you remember 'Blazing Saddles', there is a scene where Harvey Korman takes a pinch of snuff - one for each nostril. That is snuff. The ssst that I have in my mouth right now is called 'chew' or 'dip'. "Hey, can I bum a dip from you?" That is what most users call it. You can tell a cowboy dips by the circular outline worn in his bluejeans back pocket.

As Earl Campbell would say, "Skoal brother."
Thanks for that

I thought Copenhagen meant beer...ooops

And I am sorry about your Grandmother, Karate, and good luck with not drinking...keep it up!
Old 04-13-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You'll get there Karate, glad you are keeping at it. Suddenly you will find yourself several months in and be surprised, it's just a matter of time if you keep trying.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey karate.

Giving up the booze first sounds a good plan. Maybe consider getting some help and support with that if you're struggling to do it alone.

God bless.

Michael
Old 04-13-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm at hospital with granny now

No damn alochol for me ,
Old 04-13-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Stay strong!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

HI KARATE,

How are things today? How's Granny doing?
Wishing you both well. Just remember that one beer leads to 2-3-4 etc.
Granny needs you and you need yourself. Stay strong my friend.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Im Doing good , granny has had 93 years of life .

She might not make it through this one .

Not drinking , no plans to drink .

Thanks for asking .
Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Copenhagen snuff..it's like dip but classier

i used to dip kodiak...it was very relaxing I must admit
Old 04-14-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sorry about your grandmother, karate. Dig deep for the strength and resolve to stay sober.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
jkb

Well, I personally am just happier that you didn't pick up a drink. I was the "relapse queen" for years and now.... I am not so I believe that no matter how many times you fail it is important to keep trying.

And yeah giving up nicotine and alcohol both at once... uugghh. I still smoke some here and there. It is my NEXT thing to quit.

Jess
Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
Snuff and beer on the same day at the same time proved to be too much .

Very edgy ,I decided to go forward with the not drinking beer .

I feel not drinking is the most important .

Got a can of Copenhagen today .

Ill wait a while ,then kick that habit .
It was quite obvious that you were biting off too much. Just concentrate on the drinking for now, worry about the snuff later. I would look back at your last thread to see who thought it would be cool to stop both at once and then go a different route to them because some if us can do it and some cannot, it's not a competition:-)
Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stoogy View Post
Hey Karate, really hope you are doing well, and I totally understand, this forum is meant to be a source of support but some people just don't get that.

All the best Karate and well done for not drinking.
Some of the best support I have received has been the cold hard truth. No sugar coating, no feel good verbs and adjectives. Plain ole truth. It's not insensitive just because it's not a cookie cutter response/advice.

I needed (and others need to as well) to be called out for my blind selfish refusing to admit ways.

jdooner has spent countless pages and time helping (specifically ) karate.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I don't want to sound judgmental with my above post , and my comment about "blind selfish ways" is not specific to karate. I was/am the same way. For the most part people are not on here rummaging through threads trying to be a jerk or insensitive with their responses. They are only trying to help. I myself have been "called out" on these very forums and chat, and I'm glad I was.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

You're obviously a man of action Weaver. Might I suggest a real shirt and a re-centering of your camera.

I'm kidding

But seriously, I intend to be careful here when wielding my hammer. A very nice/good person here unintentionally and well meaningly scared me off of the site for months when he knew I had relapsed. Perhaps it was the best thing for me at that time, perhaps not, I really don't know.

I want to be very careful though. I feel that tough love is a good thing sometimes but I'm going to tread lightly because, like the person I just mentioned, the last thing I want to do his scare anyone outta here. We all need each other.

Keep coming back!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Weaver thank you for the post.

Karate I hope your Grandmother is doing better or at least at peace. I am sure she appreciates you being by her side and being sober allows you to take in the moments.

Dsober - tough love is difficult when its not someone you are close to - it often backfires. I am often triggered when I see qualities in myself in others that I don't like. My post to Karate was somewhat rude and aggressive and partly because I want to shake him to try and help. Partly because I see things in him that I see in my old self and it upsets me. And partly because I feel he just desires the attention, which is why for the past year he is at the exact same place he began. Whatever the case may be, my post was more of a response and out of line.

I do care for Karate, as much as you can on a virtual sober website but I also recognize that nothing I post is going to change him and perhaps this is also frustrating (my own need to help and inability to - ego). Whatever the true motives conscious or unconscious my post was rude and aggressive and I apologize.

Good luck Karate.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Weaver thank you for the post.

Karate I hope your Grandmother is doing better or at least at peace. I am sure she appreciates you being by her side and being sober allows you to take in the moments.

Dsober - tough love is difficult when its not someone you are close to - it often backfires. I am often triggered when I see qualities in myself in others that I don't like. My post to Karate was somewhat rude and aggressive and partly because I want to shake him to try and help. Partly because I see things in him that I see in my old self and it upsets me. And partly because I feel he just desires the attention, which is why for the past year he is at the exact same place he began. Whatever the case may be, my post was more of a response and out of line.

I do care for Karate, as much as you can on a virtual sober website but I also recognize that nothing I post is going to change him and perhaps this is also frustrating (my own need to help and inability to - ego). Whatever the true motives conscious or unconscious my post was rude and aggressive and I apologize.

Good luck Karate.

No harm here ,or hard feelings ,now .

If we had been in person while I was on day 3 no snuff or beer ,the outcome may have been different .

Those first 3 days I could not stand to hear the voice of another human .

It really bothered me just listening to my boy or wife .

Beer AND nicotine at the same time proved a bit too much .

I sure was nervious /edgy ,better now .

Don't know what day im on ,I actually forgot .