Notices

The nursing world

Old 04-12-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The nursing world

First and foremost I want to thank you all here. I trolled this website a looooong time before getting clean and sober. I had an oxycodone addiction which is what brought me searching here in the first place, I later learned that I am an alcoholic and the pills just didn't seem to smell as bad in the workplace, but I digress. Little about me: I'm a nurse currently going through the board of nursing, sobriety has been hard. I've got six months off of pills and over two from alcohol and I am absolutely enamored by it. I wanted to post this because this site helped me but I never saw any nurses identifying themselves on here, so I figure I should. Y'all are amazing
Old 04-12-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome,

well there are plenty of nurses here,, trust me on that, and even a few doctors too. i am in the nursing world too. i known many nurses who developed an drug addiction simply due the easy access we have to strong pain medication. i seen several nurses not only lose there jobs but place there professional license at risk on top of that. i seen some get lectured for taking antibiotics for that common cold or flu, but most of the time managers i noticed turn a blind eye on that. i never touched the pain medication, besides a tylenol here or there for my hang overs.

my choice was alcohol. i ended with drinking heavy for about 2 or 3 year period. finally i had one of those sick and tired or sick and tired mornings. i tried AA and that was not my cup of Tea. so this place was a great help. the chat room offers real time chat for support and conversations. so check it out. addiction can be very strong, but your will power can be stronger.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey robgt, when somebody asks you if you want a beer, do you say, "Homey don't do dat!" ?
Old 04-12-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you Twoyearnurse! I'm glad you decided to post. Congratulations on your sober & clean time - you're doing great.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome twoyearnurse

D
Old 04-12-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

I was a nurse and midwife for 40years.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of support here. There are other nurses here too. I hope we can be a good source of help for you in staying clean and sober.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

Its great you are here. Addiction does not mix well with professional responsibilities. Living sober is easier when you add it all up.

I like SR because it takes anonymity to a new level.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not a nurse, but I am a senior administrator for medical students in Surgical Education.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hello and welcome Twoyearnurse !

I'm a nurse, and alcoholic...there are many nurses on these boards that I've interacted with.

I was talking today about my aa meetings, and how several of the women in my group are actually nurses. It seems to be an oddly high percentage, and we were discussing how the personality fits, and then you add on the triggers....working long shifts quite often leave me hungry, anxious, lonely AND tired haha....

but it's such a rewarding career, and I was an alcoholic before I became a nurse..I'm not working at the moment...and can't wait to go back and work while being sober, it will be whole new ball game, and I'm certain I'm going to love it even more.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome! I am glad you posted!

You can search for the word 'nurse'. The search link is along the blue horizontal bar near the top of the webpage.

I'm not a nurse, but i work in health care. It's been hard for me to integrate in my mind struggling with addiction with being a professional.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm a Respiratory Therapist. My favorite thing to say at work is "let me get your nurse."
Old 04-19-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Busted

Im an RN, addicted to pain pills. Got caught and fired Monday. It started a few years ago and i just couldnt stop. Im broke, terrified, and dont know where im going to work. Looking to talk to other nurses who can relate.