Notices

101 days sober, feeling down :(

Old 04-11-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

101 days sober, feeling down :(

Hi guys,

I'm 101 days sober and feel pretty down, I would feel down in the past and have a "blow out" at the weekend, like a reset button, like people would wait for the weekend and let their hair down, have some fun, a laugh, everyday sober seems like a weekday...Lol!

I know you have got to get up and make changes for things improve, but I thought I would be feeling at least half decent by now...I'm mean its mid April!

But I'm used to staying sober now out of habit, just another day.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You really need to find some interests, hobbies etc, idle time is the devil's workshop as they say. I know it's not easy and believe me there are days when I feel the same but you have to work hard on shake it off. Every day is not going to be sugar and spice and everything nice. Also, I found that thinking it through helps. All these people that say they have fun and love the drinking life style are fooling themselves. Yes there are people who can enjoy Alcohol and get something out of it, but I dare to say that for every person who can do that, there's several who can't. It's all an escape from reality.

I don't mean this as a lecture or to be a downer on you, but more of a let's take a step back and smell the roses.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to be a downer, your right, I do need some hobbies, I need a job! Lol, been unemployed for a few years because of another issue, I guess I do have too much time on my hands, it could be worse!

Edit: yeah I agree that that the majority use alcohol to escape reality, even the people who NEED that glass of wine after work to forget the days stressors etc, dependence even in moderation!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like you have not learned how to live sober. There is a difference between not drinking and living a sober life.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Sounds to me like you have not learned how to live sober. There is a difference between not drinking and living a sober life.
Main reason I quit drinking is because I wanted to feel good, I doubt most people would stay sober if they didn't feel better.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlwaysSober1 View Post
Main reason I quit drinking is because I wanted to feel good, I doubt most people would stay sober if they didn't feel better.
I agree. Are you doing anything recovery wise to feel better? Are you active in recovery?
Old 04-11-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Life is what you make AS, alcoholic or not

D
Old 04-11-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your unemployment. That is an issue which will add to the burden I know. However, try to find some low cost alternatives to kill time instead of dwelling on alcohol thoughts. Maybe go to a library and find some good books to read, anything to kill time more meaningful than you have been able to do until now. Hang in there!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I agree. Are you doing anything recovery wise to feel better? Are you active in recovery?
I'm not doing much, just waiting for the day I feel better, I'm thinking maybe in another couple of months I'll feel differently.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
Sorry to hear about your unemployment. That is an issue which will add to the burden I know. However, try to find some low cost alternatives to kill time instead of dwelling on alcohol thoughts. Maybe go to a library and find some good books to read, anything to kill time more meaningful than you have been able to do until now. Hang in there!
A library would be torture for me, lol, 19 months ago I got tinnitus, cannot stand quiet places, the ringing is too intense, most likely the source of my depression, but I'm slowly trying to get used to it.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with tnman. Play the tape through and find some hobbies. I have found that through sobriety the possibilities are endless. I can do whatever I want now and I don't have to be a slave to get my drink on at a certain time or feel so sick I can't think straight. Now's the time to do whatever you dreamed of.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

you're on your way to 4 months, this is awesome!

give time time, we don't heal over night!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
you're on your way to 4 months, this is awesome!

give time time, we don't heal over night!
Thanks sugarbear, don't get me wrong I will find it near impossible to start drinking again, I'm in it for the long haul!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think its pretty normal to feel "bored" during sobriety, that's been my experience and I am only on day 53.

The thing is, the truth of the matter is that........... most activities simply cannot "match" the high provided by drugs........ alcohol being one. I think the non-drug activity which comes CLOSEST to providing a comparable "good feeling" is sex. But even that, depending on the person and how long either party lasts, only lasts between 20 mins to a few hours.

It's not easy, but I guess reality has always been rather dull........ hence why people historically turned to drugs in a lot of cases. I think when we suddenly "stop" drugs it is a shock to our mind to experience sobriety after being on that cloud of warm/fuzzy feelings for so long........ this results in boredom. Im guessing that it will get better with time, at least i hope that is the case.