Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Whats the most embarrasing thing you've ever done whilst really drunk

Notices

Whats the most embarrasing thing you've ever done whilst really drunk

Old 04-11-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Junegirl View Post
By the way, for those that say these are useless threads or it's time to move on, I find that offensive. If you don't find them useful that's fine, but please don't discourage others with your negative comments. I see a lot of threads that I don't find particularly useful to me but I would never be so disrespectful as to post that, in case others feel differently and are made to feel dumb for starting that thread or wanting to post to a thread that someone else is downing. A lot of us are still figuring out our sobriety and feel sensitive about these things, small as they may be.

June
Yes and we are explaining that these threads are really not helpful Do we want to live
in the past or in the present and focus on recovery.

If thinking about the past bothers me and I want to move on and that's how I feel I will post it.

I am not responsible for how you feel or what you find offensive.

You have your opinion and I have mine. And by the way I did send a pm to the original poster
explaining to him why these posts are not helpful and that no one means to offend him. Bringing up
the past can be a trigger. And I sent it to him 7 hours before you were offended and he completely
understood.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally, I'm not a fan of these threads...but I took a fairly unscientific poll not too long ago and a significant amount of members (mainly newcomers) found them beneficial.

Trust me, and the other forum staff, to make sure we focus on recovery and don't descend into pointless war stories or perverse competitions

Post or don't post, read or don't read, but I think it's easier to move on than it is to post that you don't like something.

D
Old 04-11-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

By the way, for those that say these are useless threads or it's time to move on, I find that offensive. If you don't find them useful that's fine, but please don't discourage others with your negative comments. I see a lot of threads that I don't find particularly useful to me but I would never be so disrespectful as to post that, in case others feel differently and are made to feel dumb for starting that thread or wanting to post to a thread that someone else is downing. A lot of us are still figuring out our sobriety and feel sensitive about these things, small as they may be.

June
You are, and if you'll notice, it always seems those newer to sobriety who have an interest in war stories.

When you are around a while longer, which I sincerely hope for everyone here, you will see why this is not a good path to go down.

We are calling it how we see it, because we have learned what works and doesn't work.

You might be sensitive to these so called negative comments, but it's not intended to hurt you. And in this instance, you are getting offended on behalf of another person, which, quite frankly, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If the original poster asked why I saw no benefit to these threads, I'd clearly explain.

As I did in a later post, by the way. For some of us, peeing a bed is literally the least of our troubles. Embarrassing yes, but it goes WAY deeper for some of us.

Hurting people physically, going to jail, seeing deaths of friends and strangers, not so fun to discuss.

Understanding the true depth of our addiction is not a lark, not a fun story, and not an amusing anecdote, it is wrought with pain and agony of the worst kind.

What did you do when you were drunk? Oh I killed my best friend, lol!

See what I mean?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Personally, I'm not a fan of these threads...but I took a fairly unscientific poll not too long ago and a significant amount of members (mainly newcomers) found them beneficial.

Trust me, and the other forum staff, to make sure we focus on recovery and don't descend into pointless war stories or perverse competitions

Post or don't post, read or don't read, but I think it's easier to move on than it is to post that you don't like something.

D
Old 04-11-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Very early in my sobriety journey, threads like these made me feel not so alone.
The also made me come to terms with my alcoholism. When I was trying to figure it all out. They were relatable.

Now with a bit more time under my belt, I understand why the best thing we can do for ourselves is begin to move forward. Dwelling In the past tends to keep us stuck, because barring a death, getting your "drink on" always has a slight and subtle undertone of "fun and frivolity". Party party party !

It's ingrained in us .

And once you get it, you realize there is NOTHING funny or humorous or lighthearted about flirting with death.

Our own or, heaven forbid, another's.

In retrospect, I now reflect on my drunkalogues and shudder at the thought. Most I can't even believe I survived.

It serves to remind me of how insidious this disease really is.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great great great. Hmmmm now, is this embarrassement in front of people, or just the craziest thing you ever done doesnt matter who saw it.

Crapping the pants is a big one. Many times. Puking in cabs, in bars. Puke stains on the front of the shirt. Crap logs stuck to pants and/or shirt.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've said it before...I can;t believe I have to say it twice.

If this thread offends you you do not have to participate

I'll find the War Stories thread I mentioned before and bump it, so that everyone who has a head of steam up about these sorts of threads can vent there

D.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-stories.html

D
Old 04-11-2014, 10:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
We are calling it how we see it, because we have learned what works and doesn't work.
You know what works and what doesn't work for YOU. Alcoholism is not a one size fits all disease. I'm not new to sobriety and these threads help me. They serve as a reminder of where I was and where I never want to go again. If you don't find these threads useful then please don't click on them.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I have sat in some AA meetings and not only will some folk discuss awfully embarrassing things while drinking. I would even go so far as to say some also sound braggy or out doing each other on the scale of how low an alcoholic or drunkenness can go.

Personally, the embarrassing and humiliating things don't trigger me, there is not a thing I can do about them except learn from them and work on never repeating the drunkenness again... My most humiliating has to be face planting into my dinner while out to dinner in slow motion...going going splat. Watched by everyone.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Admins,

Please close my account.
Really? There's no reason to quit a forum that is such a great help to so many people just because someone doesn't agree with you on something. Please don't let your ego get in the way of what is a very helpful forum filled with wonderful people. We may not always see eye-to-eye on everything, but we all have the same goal.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

There seems to be a lot of people trying to control the discourse here.
I don't like being ignored.

If you have anecdotes to add to the topic of embarrassing stories? go ahead.
If you want to respond to an off topic post in this thread? please send a PM.
If you want to vent about these kinds of threads? I've given you an alternative link.

Simples.

D
Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberween View Post
You know what works and what doesn't work for YOU. Alcoholism is not a one size fits all disease. I'm not new to sobriety and these threads help me. They serve as a reminder of where I was and where I never want to go again. If you don't find these threads useful then please don't click on them.
That is a fair point, and agree. I should have been more clear.

I don't want anyone leaving the site over this. I hope cooler heads prevail. My post was being written as Dee posted his message,and if you want to delete it, go ahead.

I'm out of this thread.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

When I was new in AA and had the opportunity to chair a meeting, I often put up a subject that, on the face of it, was a bit irrelevant. One was should I do the dishes before or after coming to a meeting. Older members would lead the discussion around to the real issue I was having, in that case selfishness.

This thread could well be about shame. If you sit in a meeting listening to general sharing, you may never hear some of the things you did. It was like that for me, as I' ve said before.

I subsequently found out, one on one with a recovered alcoholic, that everything I did was just run of the mill alcoholic stuff. Nothing special or especially bad about me.

And to those alcoholics posting here who are wondering, there is nothing you have done or thought about doing that I haven't done or thought about doing.

And it's not always spectacular stuff like bank robberies. A lot of the time what makes us unhappy is that we continually betray our own values. These things may seem trivial in the eyes of another, but are very serious for us.

Many of us have to find a way to deal with these issues if we want to overcome drinking. Burying them and never talking about them does not seem to work for some of us.

Sometimes, these things can be turned into assets rather that liabilities. They become very useful in helping others. My sponsors willingness to share with me on this level absolutely saved my life. It removed my sense of shame and apartness and showed me how my experience could help others.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
When I was new in AA and had the opportunity to chair a meeting, I often put up a subject that, on the face of it, was a bit irrelevant. One was should I do the dishes before or after coming to a meeting. Older members would lead the discussion around to the real issue I was having, in that case selfishness.

This thread could well be about shame. If you sit in a meeting listening to general sharing, you may never hear some of the things you did. It was like that for me, as I' ve said before.

I subsequently found out, one on one with a recovered alcoholic, that everything I did was just run of the mill alcoholic stuff. Nothing special or especially bad about me.

And to those alcoholics posting here who are wondering, there is nothing you have done or thought about doing that I haven't done or thought about doing.

And it's not always spectacular stuff like bank robberies. A lot of the time what makes us unhappy is that we continually betray our own values. These things may seem trivial in the eyes of another, but are very serious for us.
Many of us have to find a way to deal with these issues if we want to overcome drinking. Burying them and never talking about them does not seem to work for some of us.

YES!

Sometimes, these things can be turned into assets rather that liabilities. They become very useful in helping others. My sponsors willingness to share with me on this level absolutely saved my life. It removed my sense of shame and apartness and showed me how my experience could help others.

I had to come back because I saw this bit of gold written by Gottalife that really spoke to me and I had to say Wow! and thank you, Gottalife!
And speaking of apartness, thank you to those of you who reached out to me. Dee, thanks for the tip on that "ignore" function. You're the man!

June
Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Dunno. Probably jumping in a neighbors hot tub at 2 am. Then waking up realizing that in the process of disrobing my license fell out...Got a call the next day to come to the station. No charges were pressed though. I got lucky too many times..Almost makes me wish i got busted. Might have helped me realized I need to quit sooner heh.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I once apparently left a Hotel and blacked out ON train tracks out the back. Was woken in the morning by people out walking and moved on. I think I may have been there with a girl and passed out afterwards.

Very lucky to even be here.

I am now quite confident that normal drinkers don't do this s#%t.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I joined here because I have slipped after not drinking for over a year. I think I proven to myself I just am not able to stop once I start. It is not that I drink all the time, just cannot control it when I do.

As far as embarrassing things, I certainly have crossed lines morally where I would not do so sober. Mostly personal values stuff, where the values get tossed out when drunk. As I tend to often black out when drinking, there is probably a lot that has been said and done that I would be totally embarrassed of if I remembered. Nothing major luckily has happened, but I am sure I have shined plenty a poor light on myself as a person while behaving this way.

One thing that I struggled with initially when I started that year plus of being sober is I didn't know how I was going to face down my drunken shenanigans. It turned out that in time things kind of took care of themselves. Now that I have slipped (which is what I am seeing it as), I see how it instantly reverts back tot he old ways and this is not good.

I signed up here to give not drinking another go. I like the sober me better than who I become when drinking. By the way, I think a lot of my drinking and how I am when drunk is in many ways a defense against deep seated shame and hurt and anger over stuff from the past. I think I end up acting some of this stuff out in unhealthy ways.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post

I could not have said this better, Gottalife. I agree whole-heartedly and can definitely say that my inability to cope with the shame of betraying my own values kept me in a cyclical relationship with the bottle when I desperately wanted out. Being able to share in a "safe" place free of judgment with others who understood was essential to my being able to let go of the shame and begin to live in the solution.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

To be honest, I am much more embarassed about how I treated people during my drinking days when I was not under the direct influence of alcohol, drugs, etc. than my drinking exploits.

I try, not always with success, to minimize the need for making amends for that type of self-centered behavior.

God, AA and recovery have been very good to me.