Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Is the Big Book constantly updated or is it a kind of bible that remains the same

Notices

Is the Big Book constantly updated or is it a kind of bible that remains the same

Old 04-11-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I loved reading many of the stories, but kind of thought perhaps the steps needed a bit of a revamp, but that's just me. However, even the Catholic Church has moved with the times somewhat.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The truth is the truth is the truth. Just like the self help craze where every PhD was writing thier version of how to find your "true self." At the core of the book are Universal Spiritual principles (Truth) common to most all religions and or spiritual practices. You can tweak it or put your spin on it, or add a few stories to it, but the foundation or Truth remains. It works to get drunks sober too.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

....Oh and to add a note, the problem with alcohol has been around for 1000's of years.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
Your info is correct, but perhaps misunderstood. When a copyright expires (like on the first 164 pages of th BB), they rae considered in the public domain. If one writes a new book (like the 3rd ed of the BB) that includes those 'public domain' pages, adds stories, etc., and then copyrights this new book, that copyright only covers the new add-on's and does not cover the 'public domain' pages; they're still free 'n clear in 'public domain.'

(o:
NoelleR
AAWS have copyright requirements they've asked us to abide by so we'll still be doing that

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...opyrights.html

D
Old 04-11-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Cool

Yes, Dee, I read Morning Glorry's post 6 years ago. The problem is it's incorrect. AA does NOT still have a copyright on the basic text info of the BB (first 164 pages),not on any of the first or second editions.The only editions under copyright now ae the third and fourth editions (excluding the first 164 pages, of course). Those pages ARE in the public domain. Other publishing/printing companies publish/print their own BB'swith no asking AAWS or GSO.......cause it's just not necessary.

Here's a link to check out............: Big Book copyright - AA FAQ

"...There has not been a valid US copyright on the main text of Alcoholics Anonymous for more than 40 years.

"...The 1986 General Service Conference Final Report explains the end of the book's US copyright this way:
The copyright on the first edition of the Big Book lapsed in 1967, and the copyright on the new material in the second edition lapsed in 1983-both because of a failure to renew them in a timely fashion. There was a mistaken belief that registering the copyright on the second edition in 1956 served to revive the copyright on the first edition; the misconception continued, with respect to the second edition, when the third edition was copyrighted in 1976..."
Old 04-11-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looks like you'll need to take that up with AAWS Noelle

D
Old 04-11-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

don't need to; AAWS admits that they no longer hold the copyright on the first 164 pages of the BB; this is why you'll find other publishing/printing companies with their own copies of thos pages.....ie: anonpress (which also published a reproduction of the entire first edition....again no 'used by pemission')

(o:
Old 04-12-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Looks like you'll need to take that up with AAWS Noelle

D
C'mon Dee, please reread my quote from GSO.....here it is sgain....:

"...The 1986 General Service Conference Final Report explains the end of the book's US copyright this way:
The copyright on the first edition of the Big Book lapsed in 1967, and the copyright on the new material in the second edition lapsed in 1983-both because of a failure to renew them in a timely fashion. There was a mistaken belief that registering the copyright on the second edition in 1956 served to revive the copyright on the first edition; the misconception continued, with respect to the second edition, when the third edition was copyrighted in 1976..."
Old 04-12-2014, 12:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noelle - with all due respect? I simply do not care.
I'll keep applying the guidelines I've been told to until someone in charge tells me to stop.

if you feel strongly about this, it's something you need to take up other people, not with me - and not in this thread.
It's getting seriously hijacked.

(and please don't send me a PM either. I'm done.)

thanks

D
Old 04-12-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I don't care who owns the copyright, but I do care about misinformation.

Guess I'll stick with what AA itself has to say regarding the copyrights. Since AAWS is the publishing arm of the GSO (General Services Organisation), and they have said...................: "...The copyright on the first edition of the Big Book lapsed in 1967, and the copyright on the new material in the second edition lapsed in 1983-both because of a failure to renew them in a timely fashion. There was a mistaken belief that registering the copyright on the second edition in 1956 served to revive the copyright on the first edition; the misconception continued, with respect to the second edition, when the third edition was copyrighted in 1976..."

(o:
NoelleR
Old 04-12-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
~sb

it's still under copyright in other countries, just not in USA.....in Canada, it's under copyright until 2021......this site is international, as we all know......"AA World Services Inc. continues to claim ownership of the book in all non-US countries....It is settled law in The USA and Canada but apart from those nations it is too expensive to find out. AAWS has made it clear that they intend to hold onto their claims of ownership as long as possible." (anonpress.org).

Old 04-12-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
...this site is international, as we all know...
Actually, I just verified, this site, although like most internet sites, it can be viewed and accessed internationally, it is a US site, located in Pasadena, CA (kinda like Amazon.com is a US site and Amazon.ca is a Canadian site.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 04-12-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK...My apologies to the OP for the thread hijack.

If the original question is still of interest to anyone, please continue.

D