Notices

Nearly 12 hours without alcohol

Old 06-30-2004, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Nearly 12 hours without alcohol

Hi,

My last was 1am last night. It took me 20 min just to go to the kitchen, sweated, with shaking body - just stealing few hours more...
My first job this morning was to get rid of all beer. It is my 5 drinking day. Luckilly I got the paper from doctor for my absense. I am tired,tired,tired.This is not the first serious alcohol case - just I did it again after few months. I have never wanted to stop in general, but to drink less... It doesnt work!
Now I have to stop. Forever, not for few months. I DO WANT IT. NOW!
How do you overcame the idea of not-drinking? Do you count every day? I have a feeling that I am going crazy if I know, that I will count every day of my life - another day without alcohol! Or maybe after few months I will stop to pay attention? I understand that everybody here has got this situation and I understand that I am not a special case-I still have a family and job. Well, my wife knows, but she will support me. But I am feeling empty. Absolutelly empty.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Welcome to SR, Caramell!!

Forever, not for few months...How do you overcame the idea of not-drinking? Do you count every day?
Just think of it as not drinking TODAY! We do this ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Here is a link for German Alcoholics Anonymous. Maybe you could learn more there. Wish you the very best! Don't forget—one day at a time.
Love, Eddie
Old 06-30-2004, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Eddie, thanks for the link and for the advice. Meantime I am still sober-faiting with all demons in my head,shaking and sweeting. But I think I am a bit better. I do want to sleep for 1-2 hours, but I can't slow down. I have no fast hearth-beat or pain,just it is terrible. I know this feeling as this happened many times. I just have to suffer for few hours. And there is no danger for new alcohol today - after such havy(for me) few drinking days, I don't drink for a long time, To my best regret not long enought. Friends, I just made a decision. To stop forever.For me it doesnt work to drink and to live normal live like my father for instance - he is not alcoholic, but is drinking from time to time, but never crossing the line. I lied myself that I can control myself too long. That just few beers at the evening will not stop me from going work next morning...
Some things in the live are very important and can't be posponed-the alcohol stopping is one of them.Wish you only the best,

Caramell
Old 06-30-2004, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Caramell
I lied myself that I can control myself too long. That just few beers at the evening will not stop me from going work next morning...
Welcome to SoberRecovery Caramell!
My name's Dan, I'm an addict in recovery. And in the end, alcohol had become my favorite drug and poison. I abused it in such a way that almost killed me many times. And yet, I held on to the crazy notion that I could control how much I drank. After a few days of recovering from awful binges and promising to myself and my family that I was done, the thoughts that this time I'll get it right would start dancing around in my head and I started believing that I could be a normal, social drinker.
I'm glad you're here, all the way from Germany no less! Willkommen
Old 06-30-2004, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, Caramell!! Keep coming back and let us know how things are going for you, OK?
Love, Eddie
Old 06-30-2004, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Caramell,

Like I did, you're focusing on the 'not drinking forever'. That is huge and it's overwhelming and much easier to keep it small and say not drinking today. It really works. Try to get through the withdrawls and keep a positive attitude. You're doing something really good for yourself.

Love, Anna
Old 06-30-2004, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Anna,

Maybe you are right - i just 'have stoped' hundreds of times. So, I can't imagine other solution. If I concentrate only for today, I am afraid that after 5 days/months - when I am better - that one good drink just will come in my mind. And this make me crazy! I want to stop forever and never to be afraid that this could happen again! So, the only solution is stopping now. Well, I have to live with this idea-the alcohol is something forbidden.

Love,
Caramell
Old 06-30-2004, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eddie z.
You're welcome, Caramell!! Keep coming back and let us know how things are going for you, OK?
Love, Eddie
I will try. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I will stay away from the alkohol today - the most dangerous part (for me the first 12-20 hours after stop) is over - but I don't want to promise. No promises. Just action.

Kind regards and luck,
Old 06-30-2004, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Salvador Doggie

Dear Caramell,

My name is Rudiger and I am an alcoholic like you. Welcome to the boards.

Alcoholism a is thing we most likely have to deal with for the rest of our lives. But like Gianna said, the solution to not drinking is in the moment and the day. It is too much for me to fathom a life-long abstinance. Every morning I make a new resolve to not drink. It's just 24 hours and it is just so much more manageable.

After you start feeling better and the shakes begin to subside, the thoughts will enter your mind that you are ok to try again. The big part of our problem (disease) is that our disease itself convinces us that it does not exist. This idea that we can drink like "normal" people is what I call "The Crazy Idea". It does go away more and more after time but it is something all alcoholics must watch for and be ready to combat with some rational thought.

Read some of the posts here and get a good dose of healthy thinking. Remember you are not alone in your quest of abstnance. When problems arise in your life you will and can find better ways to handle them than the bottle. When good things come your way you can and will find better ways to rewadrd yourself. Always remember your experience of the problems drinking brought to you. Give these memories some healthy respect and let them guide you when it comes to making a decision weather or not to drink. In time you will, like many on these boards, find a new way to approach life without alcohol. It does not suck by the way. It is actually more rewarding and fullfilling than you can possibly imagine now.

Thank you for helping me in my resolve for this, another 24 hours. Today we can both have our "daily reprieve" from alcoholism together.

With support and best wishes,

Rudiger
Old 06-30-2004, 08:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Welcome Caramell. You'll find a lot of support here. God bless, and good luck.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

Gutentag!

Truly, just one day at a time, no more no less. Try a meeting if you so desire. We're here for you and we do know how hard it is. I started my drinking career in Munich. What a great time it was, but what a sad thing I had become 20 years later... hang tough my friend.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Once again thanks to everybody who found time to say a few good words, nevertheless of the problems which probably everyone has! I am still clean, but very very tired,with bloody eyes - is it normal? I dont expect to look like popstar. Just it is time these nerves to disappear. But no way - I just have to wait few hours more. I donT think I have to visit the doctor, it is just withdrawal with all symptoms.
I will start with thse 4 min to think - every day. If it is necessary, will join some groups. But the best solution will be support from the family. The only one thing which kept me till now, is the fact that tomorrow this time I will be with wife and my small girl - for 3 weeks. I dont worry for this time - no problem to avoid drinking when we are together. And after 3 weeks I will be 3 weeks stronger - hope to say then to you -I was clean all the time and will not change my intention. But till tomorrow I have a lond night - please advice me something. I dont want to drink, but I have a feeling that I cant sleep and will spend the whole night walking in my appartment. How to overcome this? I read and browse www the whole day - I cant read anymore. not hungry, dont need cigarrete. But beer need less of all. Just any ideas?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Rudiger,
I like your expression. Can I steal it? teehee
This idea that we can drink like "normal" people is what I call "The Crazy Idea".
Caramell,
You can put your sobriety birthday in your profile and we can help you mark each day! Keep coming.
Love, Eddie
Old 06-30-2004, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pretty Is As Pretty Does

Hi Friend,

Even not drinking for 24 hours sometimes isn't enough. If you have to not drink for this one minute, one second, then do that. Don't worry about tomorrow, it will come fast enough.

Writing from experience .

Take care of this moment.

Christine
Old 06-30-2004, 02:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I have a few kind words, not much of import tho..... what Rudiger said.

And, Get thee to an AA meeting! Alcoholics need the support of other alcoholics.

If there isn't an AA meeting in your area or its not your thing, there's always alternatives. I'll edit this to give you the link in a minute....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/1...ernatives.html

Check out the SMART page. Alot of ppl have great results with SMART.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hei, it seems that I am one step to reach 24 hours from my real live!!! This make me really really happy! I spoke several times with my girl and with my mother and they really support me in all my steps. It is a good idea to think 5 min every day - Anna's proposal, but better is cut everything in ones. At least I feel it in thhis way. Because it is clear, that one beer, just one means for me after such time (maybe after 3 months like now) to be drunk again. One beer is nothing. But there will be another one after 1 months. The next is on its way - just after 2 weeks. And sooner or later I will be drunk one evening and will continue on the next day. So, words like 'just one very seldom' are TRUE S**T. For me the last time was 6 months. OK, maybe the next will be after 1 year. But if I dont relize that never means never, I have no chance. Stop forever. And next days I will meet the doctor. Live is nice somethimes!
Old 06-30-2004, 04:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramell

But I am feeling empty. Absolutelly empty.

I know that emptiness of which you speak. The kind of emptiness that oceans of alcohol just never seemed to fill.

Understanding where my emptiness came from is still sometimes a mystery for me but certain clues has lead me to believe that my emptiness was a product of lifelong needs that went unmet.

For years I tried to fill up that painful emptuness with drugs and alcohol and though for a short time it seemed to do the trick,inevitably it took me down a path of degradation and depravation.

I often hear people in recovery refer to that emptiness as a "spiritual void" and it is a description I am not adverse to because I myself has found release from that emptiness by adhering to some basic Spiritual principles.

But if I were to put it in simpler terms I guess I would have to say that for me relief comes in true acceptance and love for myself.

Welcome to the forums Melville.When we stop drinking we are often faced with the awesome enternity of a life without alcohol and the idea can often seem overwhelming but the reality is that we have only one day to concern ourselves with......today.If you can stop drinking for just today then you have mastered the secret of abstainance.Days turn into monthhs and before you even know it alcohol will be the furthest thing from your mind.

AA is a wonderful programme that has helped many people like us stay sober and I suggest you give them a call.Don't believe all the things you may hear about AA being a religious organization that caters only to skid row bums.Try going to a few meetings and decide for yourself if it will work for you.

In the meantime KEEP COMING BACK.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. I think we all here know the feelings that you are having all to well. While not fun they will start to go away after time. And make sure to rember them alays, for if you feel tempted to drink just recall these days to your mind and ask your self "is this what I want?" Stay strong.