Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Been feeling "off" the last week or so, please advise

Notices

Been feeling "off" the last week or so, please advise

Old 04-09-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Been feeling "off" the last week or so, please advise

Day 51.

Although I have been sleeping better and better without the help of sleep aids or sleep pills....... I notice I have just been feeling a little "off" the last 5 days or so. I am conscious and everything, senses are working just fine, my memory is intact........ and yet I just seem to have a sort of "spacing out" feeling. It's not really lightheadedness, but its just a really....... "spacy" feeling that i get throughout the day.

It feels like a sort of "fog" in my mind that is subtle, but I can tell this was not there before. My first guess is that it's the lack of sleep finally catching up to me........ even though I have been getting sleep more consistently the last 3 weeks I notice it is only ever 5-6 hours max and not the "standard" 8-9 hours that sober people get.

Some other information I thought I would mention:

- Max sleep my body achieves naturally is like 5.5 - 6 hours, with 1 or 2 hours of lying there with eyes closed before it finally goes to sleep

- Got a new pair of glasses back in March, they seem to make me a little dizzy so i think i will need to take them back or something

- Very little human interaction as i work from home, it's all emails and such....... with 1 or 2 phone conversations and thats it, no face to face except maybe when i go to the store and speak to a cashier

- I find myself rather bored without the crutch of alcohol to kill time with, i've been told that even simple boredom can trigger lack of energy........ or at least the perception that you are tired or "foggy"

- Have about 24% body-fat, so i know i need to lose weight........ although i should note that i never noticed lack of energy when i was drinking, despite the same (roughly) amount of weight

I can carry out conversations just fine and my memory has not seen any changes, to the contrary....... my memory seems to be improving, I had some more flashbacks just earlier today. This leads me to believe it might not be PAWS, as i notice most of the common symptoms reported involve memory issues and concentration issues.

The other thing im wondering is........ maybe my body just isn't "used to" being sober after the length of time I was drinking? Probably the last time I went a full day completely sober with no alcohol OR coffee was sometime in 2010. Perhaps it's just the body trying to go back to default settings and im just feeling "off" in the meantime?

Anyone have thoughts or opinions for me? I am stumped........ is it PAWS? or is it just one or more of the factors i mentioned above?
Old 04-09-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey grubby! I have no idea what it is, but I am willing to bet it will pass. It does sound a bit like PAWS. Maybe get a checkup if you haven't had one recently? And maybe throw in a little exercise when you start feeling spacey, even just a walk around the block. That Might get the blood flowing and help you tune back in.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Beware---every thirty days we get "off" and you are coming up on 60 days soon!

You are So Very Normal In Recovery Now!

Keep moving forward!!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear
Beware---every thirty days we get "off" and you are coming up on 60 days soon!

You are So Very Normal In Recovery Now!

Keep moving forward!!
Strangely, i feel no urge to drink at this point......... im so glad my brain is starting to forget about it and focus on other things. At this point i seem more concerned with health and trying to return to the standard 8-9 hours of sleep a night that everyone else gets.

As the communist conscript soldiers were told....... "not ONE step backwards!"
Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

It's not always about an urge to drink. It's about our body healing. As you said, "maybe my body just isn't "used to" being sober after the length of time I was drinking?"

Keep staying stopped!