Notices

tough situation

Old 04-09-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tough situation

Hi guys, excuse the rant, I've got tinnitus, I've got to avoid loud noise because it can get worse. Well yesterday I went to the dentist because of a lump on my gum, turns out its an infection and I need root canal, that means loud drills! I need 3 fillings as well but I refused, too much noise!

I was going to wear earplugs but apparently wearing them makes the vibration noise from the drill even louder in the head! Big chance it might make me tinnitus louder! So even though its a tooth at the front I'm going to have to get it pulled out instead, I'm only in my twenties I'm having it done on Friday and I swear if the ringing gets louder I'm going to be a wreck! And that scares me because there's no guarantees I won't hit the drink again because my life will be screwed! I'm in for a nervous couple of days!
Old 04-09-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you explained your problem to the dentist AS?

I've had several root canals - the drilling isn't actually for that long - there's more drilling in a filling.

maybe you can wear headphones, listen to your favorite music?

do whatever you can to stop loosing a tooth, man

D
Old 04-09-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have you explained your problem to the dentist AS?

I've had several root canals - the drilling isn't actually for that long - there's more drilling in a filling.

maybe you can wear headphones, listen to your favorite music?

do whatever you can to stop loosing a tooth, man

D
Hi dee, I was all in for saving the tooth, was going to use earplugs and ear muffs, but that causes something called the "occlusion effect" basically stick your fingers in your ears and talk, notice your voice is louder? Apparently with earplugs in the vibration noises of the drill will be louder in the head, some people recommended not using them because of this, but drills are so loud! There is a risk either way, I'm so scared my tinnitus is going to get louder! Tinnitus is why I started drinking everyday, I'd rather have dentures at 27 than severe tinnitus! I'm racking my brains on what to do.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have tinnitus too remember?
Earplugs will make your tinnitus louder yeah - but only until you take the ear plugs out.

I've had extensive dental work done and it didn't change my tinnitus one bit AS- honest

D
Old 04-10-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have tinnitus too remember?
Earplugs will make your tinnitus louder yeah - but only until you take the ear plugs out.

I've had extensive dental work done and it didn't change my tinnitus one bit AS- honest

D
Sorry for the late reply dee, its was past 1 in the morning with my last post, so I went to bed.

Did you wear earplugs when having dental work done dee? Is your tinnitus noise induced? Mine has got permanently louder 5 months ago from dropping a plate on the floor, that made me even more scared of noise.

Going to the dentists is bad enough (haven't been in 10 years) but with tinnitus.....well that's just terrifying! Lol.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't use earplugs no - I find the vibration is worse than the tinnitus.

I've had tinnitus for a long time - I had a lot of operations on my ears as a kid, and then later on, being a rock muso (bass guitar) didn't help

I seem to have gotten used to it now, AS.

D
Old 04-10-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks dee, I've only had tinnitus for a few years, with it recently getting louder I'm still struggling with it, well at least I'm not drinking over it anymore the dentists actually just phoned me to rearrange the appointment until next month, I feel my stress levels getting lower already. Lol