Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Do you know what is at the root of your problem? Alcohol or anxiety

Notices

Do you know what is at the root of your problem? Alcohol or anxiety

Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Do you know what is at the root of your problem? Alcohol or anxiety

Do you drink to overcome your anxiety?

or

Does alcohol cause you to have anxiety?

Can you ever really overcome your problem until you know what is really causing you to drink and how do you find out?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When I stopped drinking an amazing amount of mental and physical problems vanished
Old 04-09-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I periodically have anxiety and elements of depressive illness, and both are made considerably worse by alcohol.

Ditto paranoia
Old 04-09-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol always caused me to have anxiety the next day.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

it relieved what i did not realize was just mild anxiety in the begining that could have been managed in much healthier ways. Then it ended up just causing much more severe anxiety and panic as it wore off.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I could not fix my anxiety while I was drinking - the drinking magnified it tenfold. So no matter which is first, chicken or egg, I needed to fix the drinking first.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've suffered from mental health problems (anxiety related) for many years before drinking. It heightens it by far though.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Both. I tried to self medicate for my anxiety and eventually became an alcoholic.
By the end alcohol was actually exacerbating my anxiety.

D
Old 04-09-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

Put down the thing that's killing you first.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol was but a symptom of me and my problem(s)......Yes, it did cause a great deal of anxiety!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Looking4Help123 View Post
I could not fix my anxiety while I was drinking - the drinking magnified it tenfold. So no matter which is first, chicken or egg, I needed to fix the drinking first.
Agree. It's definitely a chicken and egg debate. Regardless of what came first, putting down the drink will only help in the long run.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Both for me too. What finally worked for me was to stop worrying about why or how I became an alcoholic and simply accepting that I AM an alcoholic. Then I was able to move forward with getting better.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure most of us drank to calm our minds or to feel better, i started during a pretty low point in my life.

Im guessing that the people who drink just for fun or just for the hell of it are in the minority......

Alcohol makes you artificially "happy" for a few hours, so from that we can deduce that most of the people who picked up the bottle did so to numb themselves to reality

......... at least that was my experience, my life sucked at the time, so? i started drinking
Old 04-09-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

I gotta go along with both too. It's a vicious downward spiral that can only be stopped and reversed by stopping the drinking. I found that was causing it in me was a lack of real belief, faith if you will, that it could be stopped and reversed. Since I found that, it's become much easier.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Alcoholism was the cause of my problems and the solution (at least for a while at the same time.

The real root cause was selfishness and self centredness. Anxiety came from the fears that my base instincts for security, sex, prestige, would not be statisfied, and that I would not get my own way, that things would not turn out how I wanted, people would not behave how I wanted.

Anxiety and depression are documented symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, and are part and parcel of untreated alcoholism. They are brought on by alcoholism, but cannot cause alcoholism.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For a long time I thought that I knew the reason I drank, but I think I was just repeating what other people said. Since I've started self inquiry, I've had to let those beliefs fall away and accept that I really don't know why I drank or used.

On the surface it was because I loved the feeling, beyond that I really don't know. The only truth I know of in regards to my drinking and drugging is that I can never take another drink or another puff of the pipe, if I do, then the madness will start all over again.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Alcoholism was the cause of my problems and the solution (at least for a while at the same time.

The real root cause was selfishness and self centredness. Anxiety came from the fears that my base instincts for security, sex, prestige, would not be statisfied, and that I would not get my own way, that things would not turn out how I wanted, people would not behave how I wanted.

Anxiety and depression are documented symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, and are part and parcel of untreated alcoholism. They are brought on by alcoholism, but cannot cause alcoholism.
I was waiting for that answer. The Spiritual Malady as laid out in The Big Book.
yep
Old 04-09-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan1888 View Post
Do you drink to overcome your anxiety?
or
Does alcohol cause you to have anxiety?
Can you ever really overcome your problem until you know what is really causing you to drink and how do you find out?
I didn't think I had any anxiety issues until I quit drinking. By some weird coincidence, I no longer have issues with flying or heights, and I no longer fly off the handle at minor things not going according to plan. Alcohol had an enormous impact on my thinking, personality, and outlook. I had no clue and would have sworn on a stack of Bibles it wasn't true... I simply didn't know that I didn't know.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Both. I tried to self medicate for my anxiety and eventually became an alcoholic.
By the end alcohol was actually exacerbating my anxiety.

D
I think this is very common for so many people, myself included.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I agree with Admiral. I wanted to know why I drank, but it was like an itch I couldn't scratch. In the end, the "why" had nothing to do with the solution.