Notices

How many times did it take

Old 04-09-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

How many times did it take

Hi,
Just a thought for all of you who are succeeding in your quest for sobriety, can I ask how many attempts have there been so far to stay clean? This just interest me because it must make you even more determined to right the wrongs of previous attempts and was there Any one specific thing that Made this time different? I'm not asking health questions just what was the motivation.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My motivation was not only for myself
but for my family. I entered rehab 8-10-90
upon a court order after a family intervention
took place. My second full day 8-11-90 in a
controlled inviroment was my first full day
with no alcohol.

From that day on armed with knowledge and
tools of a recovery program has guided me
for 23 yrs sober continuously.

I don't think id be here today if it wasn't
for determination, willingness, openmindedned,
and finally honesty to live a healthy, happy,
life in recovery using Faith, Steps and Principles
as a guideline.

This of course is how it has worked for me.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sharon , you're amazing ! Welldone ;-)

Stoogy , it took me endless times over 15 years a couple of stints in rehab . The first time i didn't drink for over a year , the second time was only a few months.

In the end my body couldn't take it anymore , my personality changed from being bubbly and happy , to cranky , short tempered and impatient .

It was all about me ;-(

I got fatty liver and pancreas , i didn't have a choice .

SR is my saviour .

This is truly the first time i can actually say i know i will never drink anymore .

Your body just gets sick and tired of being sick and tired .

Something has to give as there is only one wY it ends .

Good luck hun , keep fighting the fight ;-))) xxxx
Old 04-09-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me nearly two years of trying and failing to finally "get it right". Now I'm sober over four years.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Whatever works. No matter how many times
it takes to make it stick is whats important.

Remaining teachable is also Important as
I continue to remain teachable by learning
from you all here in SR.

You can too..!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
Sharon , you're amazing ! Welldone ;-)

Stoogy , it took me endless times over 15 years a couple of stints in rehab . The first time i didn't drink for over a year , the second time was only a few months.

In the end my body couldn't take it anymore , my personality changed from being bubbly and happy , to cranky , short tempered and impatient .

It was all about me ;-(

I got fatty liver and pancreas , i didn't have a choice .

SR is my saviour .

This is truly the first time i can actually say i know i will never drink anymore .

Your body just gets sick and tired of being sick and tired .

Something has to give as there is only one wY it ends .

Good luck hun , keep fighting the fight ;-))) xxxx
Thanx SnoozyQ,

Well done, your a star and an inspiration.
Take care.
Stuart.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At least 1000 times ending up quitting in the morning and being drunk by the evening. Still thought every time that I didn't need any advice or help and ione day I would wake up and not want to drink anymore. Good times:-)
Old 04-09-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One and done. Prior to this year, I had quit several times for fixed periods (30 - 70 days). This is the first time I have decided to be done with it for good.

While the first few weeks were rather tumultuous and unpleasant, I feel so much better now that alcohol no longer holds any attraction for me. To be honest, if I had tried to quit for good at an earlier stage, I would likely have failed because I wasn't ready and somehow, deep down, I knew that I wasn't ready.

For a long time I knew I should quit, but I had to wait until I really wanted to quit. Once I truly made up my mind, it was a matter of getting a plan and putting it into action.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm fortunate when decided to try and quit. I did and I have not relapsed. I attempted reducing it before but that never worked. and I never thought my problem was serious enough to merit a full on quit till it was.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by BradJustBrad View Post
One and done. Prior to this year, I had quit several times for fixed periods (30 - 70 days). This is the first time I have decided to be done with it for good.

While the first few weeks were rather tumultuous and unpleasant, I feel so much better now that alcohol no longer holds any attraction for me. To be honest, if I had tried to quit for good at an earlier stage, I would likely have failed because I wasn't ready and somehow, deep down, I knew that I wasn't ready.

For a long time I knew I should quit, but I had to wait until I really wanted to quit. Once I truly made up my mind, it was a matter of getting a plan and putting it into action.
Great point Brad, I was exactly the same, I needed to finally want to quit, I knew I had too for years but until I finally accepted it there was no attempts at all to try. This is the first time I have tried I will make sure it is the last.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Three years ago I might have told you I quit countless times. But in the 3 + years I've been sober I understand I can't count the times I woke up vowing to quit and drinking that night, or a couple nights later. Because that wasn't really an attempt to recover. I was just seeking a respite.

For this last "serious" attempt, I quit in Aug of 2010, relapsed and quit again on Sept. 4, 2010. I've been sober since. My attempt prior to that was in 1997. When I relapsed, I drank for 13 more years.

Lesson? Get it right the first time.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

When I knew it was sober or dead I swallowed my pride and went to an AA meeting with a friend who I knew was sober. I have stood on the edge a couple of times, but with the support and my fear that I didn't know if I would come back if I went out I have been sober for quite awhile now.

AA worked for me, but regardless of how a person chooses to stop, I do believe that support and a clear path and alternative to drink is at the least important and may be imperative.

Best wishes,
Jon
Old 04-09-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i lost count.i just new life is better without booze.i just keep trying.aa does ruin your drinking trust me.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tried three times before my current sobriety but during this current "attempt" (for lack of a better word) I've realized that those previous three times I was not sober-I was just dry. My last blackout was horrible and I woke up the next morning wanting to be sober more than I wanted to drink. Enough was finally enough. I haven't had a drop since that day.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

25 multiplied by 365......

the last time worked well
Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Took three cracks at it:

2001: 21 days in rehab, star pupil, relapsed 30 days out.

2002: Seven-day benzo detox. Went back to the same prescribing shrink for benzos before I could get back to work. I had a disease (panic and anxiety) that required medication like insulin for the diabetic, shrink said. Was drinking two days after reinstating benzos.

2010: Quit drinking, quit benzos cold-turkey, two weeks later I ended up in the hospital, the first three days in ICU and tethered to the bed in four-point restraints. Got out of the hospital, bought a pint of brandy, drank it, and nothing. Booze had quit working. That was my last drink. Quit drinking and benzos on September 15, 2010. Ambulance ride to hospital September 28, 2010. Discharge October 8, 2010. Was still on some meds for a few days, so set sobriety for October 15, 2010.

Today is my 1,272nd sober day. I might make it through the day.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I didn't really get serious about quitting until about 3 years ago. I tried moderating or temporarily quitting many, many times before that but never really followed through after a day or two. I had 2 "serious" attempts where I enlisted the support of SR and even a local counselor. In both of those I had several weeks of total sobriety but then went back to moderate drinking, and then daily drinking within a few weeks afterwards.

The last attempt has stuck for about 15 months. I can't honestly say what exactly I did differently to get started, but I can say the biggest difference is that I know and accept that I cannot drink, ever. If I do, I will return to daily drinking no matter what. And I"m OK with that now - it's just part of me and I accept it. And I also realize that my life is much better without alcohol. I also still use SR every single day as my primary support - it's a great place.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stoogy View Post
Hi, Just a thought for all of you who are succeeding in your quest for sobriety, can I ask how many attempts have there been so far to stay clean? This just interest me because it must make you even more determined to right the wrongs of previous attempts and was there Any one specific thing that Made this time different? I'm not asking health questions just what was the motivation.
The motivation for me was realizing I was headed for an early tragic death. But that's not what induced the sobriety that I have. The solution I chose led to the sobriety. I am not sober because of more determination. I am sober because I sought a solution and it worked.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Once I really set my mind to it, I quit for good. I took a couple of one month "Alcohol Free Challenges". They made me look like some kind of super hero to my drinking buddies but they actually made me scared of really quitting. It was horrible torture. I didn't know how much better it would get. Not ever wanting to do the first thirty days again is a big motivator for me.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I tried countless times to quit, however, I think deep down at the time I wasn't ready. I always had a handy excuse for why I could pick up again. And I would tell myself that it wasn't my fault, it was either the situation or someone else. I really wasn't willing to put the effort into staying sober, because staying drunk was easier.

I don't know really, I think something just clicked in my head the last time. I was just so exhausted mentally and physically and I was just so sick and tired of being sick and tired. I have no other way to explain it.

This time was different because I was willing to do ANYTHING to stay sober and willing to go outside my comfort zone to stay that way. I had to realize that I was the problem, not the alcohol and I had to be willing to change things and me.