Notices

Am I an alcoholic?

Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I an alcoholic?

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I think I might have a drinking problem, but I'm not really sure. I think part of it is just laziness on my part.

I didn't start drinking until I was about 22. I didn't even go out on my 21st birthday. Anyway, up until I was about 30, I drank maybe once a month. I am now 37. I drink 5 or 6 nights a week. Each year it has increased. I have never had problems with law, or getting into fights or losing relationships. Some days I might drink 4 or 5 beers and go to bed. Other days, I'll have a 12 pack and a few shots. If I go to a bar, I'll drink 2 or 3 beers before going home. (I'm 6'4" and weigh 290 lbs.) I'm sure I've driven when I shouldn't have but I've been lucky. Never got pulled over. I've never gotten into an argument about drinking too much.

I think the biggest reason I drink is because I'm bored. I grew up in the northeast and moved to S. Florida about 5 years ago. If I hang out with friends or family, I have no problems not drinking or only having a beer. I dated and lived with a girl for 3 months about a year ago. Other than New Year's Eve, I might have had 5 beers total in that 3 months. If I am around people that don't drink, I don't drink. It honestly doesn't occur to me.

The past year or so, I have not been working. I went back to college and have been taking classes. Drinking has not affected my classes. Because I grew up in the northeast, I don't know a lot of people where I live in Florida. So most nights, I just hang out at home, watch TV and drink. Even right now, I'm watching the NCAA basketball game and on my 3rd beer.

I'm wondering if I am a functioning alcoholic. The reason I think I might have a problem is because a lot of times when I'm drinking I think of things I want to to do. Work out, exercise, lose weight, etc. But then during the day, I never do these things. I'm always thinking "I'll do it tomorrow." and then the cycle repeats itself. I rarely drink during the day. I've never drank in the AM when I wake up. If I drink before 3 or 4, 99% of the time it's because I'm watching a big sporting event.

So anyway, that's my story. If I am not an alcoholic, I think I am on the verge of being one. Interested in knowing what people here think.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

I was born in the northeast spent a few years here then moved to south florida then I high tailed out of there and moved back north east after 20 years down there haha.

anyhow it sounds like you got some good potential to have a problem. Change the pattern you said you think about doing things but then you never do them you procrastinate. Why not bite the bullet start going for a 30 min walk each day for execise or something get some fresh air and sunshine etc.. You might start to feel better and maybe you wont need that drink?

I was concerned about my drinking when i drank like you did. I could really take it to an unhealthy level and i new that but I felt i had it under control at that time and I probably did. I guess I was just building my skills. I morphed into a heavy daily drinker just in the evenings then I started to have to hav on at lunch or breakfast or early evening to take the edge off. I new i had issues at that point and the panic attacks where unstoppable.

My weight had ballooned my health was in the toilet etc.. In hindsite I shoulda cut the nonsense out a long long time ago. I know my past self would have never listened to my future self or anyone else for that matter.

So at 33 years old I quit and quit my 2 pack a day cigarette habit shortly after went from 275lbs to 150lbs and I run 60 miles a week. It was dang hard work. I shoulda never have let it get so out of control. Thankfully for me the body healed well ::knock on wood::

so maybe you have a problem maybe you dont yet..... but you could just nip it in the bud now.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CS007 View Post
I'm wondering if I am a functioning alcoholic. The reason I think I might have a problem is because a lot of times when I'm drinking I think of things I want to to do. Work out, exercise, lose weight, etc. But then during the day, I never do these things. I'm always thinking "I'll do it tomorrow." and then the cycle repeats itself.

The above does not sound like you are functioning to well.

But your question Am I an alcoholic? Let me just say this. People who are not alcoholics do not come to recovery
forums and ask if they are an alcoholic.

People who are not alcoholics know without a doubt that they are not alcoholics and never even think about it.

Is alcohol causing problems in your life? If so, maybe it's time to stop.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

its also a simple equation what are you gaining by drinking what will you gain by not drinking. There is no real benefit to drinking.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Nip it in the bud. That's cool you run 60 miles a week. I would love to do a marathon or triathlon. When you stopped drinking, what did you deal with? Meaning cravings or keeping yourself busy so you didn't drink? I'm thinking of getting rid of my TV. I think the alcohol advertising has an effect on me.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i nixed TV a while ago I couldnt stand paying for cable and i never watched it and yes its amazing how your mind changes when your not bombarded with ads.

I was in pretty deep so I had to find anything to occupy my anxious ansty out of my mind self. I researched ways to get healthy read anything and everything i could to beat it. I read books got a tea habit. got other stupid hobbies polishing this or that building this or that totally useless stuff but it kept me busy and sane.

cravings where aweful. But honestly the anxiety and panic for me was the worst. I climbed the walls it was all i could do to try and remain calm and relaxed.

6 months into my quit I couldnt take it I had to give up the cigarettes too the day after that I started exercising. and dieting this gave me something to obsess over and occupy myself. I felt awesome exercising each day it blew off those frustrations and helped all around. I just did a simple walk each day and lost the bulk of the weight just like that.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
The above does not sound like you are functioning to well.

But your question Am I an alcoholic? Let me just say this. People who are not alcoholics do not come to recovery
forums and ask if they are an alcoholic.

People who are not alcoholics know without a doubt that they are not alcoholics and never even think about it.

Is alcohol causing problems in your life? If so, maybe it's time to stop.
Umm... I disagree. I tend to think about everything I do. To me, coming here and asking is not proof I am an alcoholic. I do not think it's a black and white issue. If it were, there's a specific line that you cross. I think I might be edging close (if there is one) to the line and that's what I am here. Is alcohol causing problems in my life? No. The only time I drink a lot is when I'm bored. I've never cancelled anything in my life or rescheduled something because of alcohol.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
yeah i nixed TV a while ago I couldnt stand paying for cable and i never watched it and yes its amazing how your mind changes when your not bombarded with ads.

I was in pretty deep so I had to find anything to occupy my anxious ansty out of my mind self. I researched ways to get healthy read anything and everything i could to beat it. I read books got a tea habit. got other stupid hobbies polishing this or that building this or that totally useless stuff but it kept me busy and sane.

cravings where aweful. But honestly the anxiety and panic for me was the worst. I climbed the walls it was all i could do to try and remain calm and relaxed.

6 months into my quit I couldnt take it I had to give up the cigarettes too the day after that I started exercising. and dieting this gave me something to obsess over and occupy myself. I felt awesome exercising each day it blew off those frustrations and helped all around. I just did a simple walk each day and lost the bulk of the weight just like that.
Haha yea the reason I know TV ads are bad is because I went backpacking last year for 3 weeks. While backpacking, I woke up at sunrise and went to bed at sunset. Never overate or drank. Lost like 30 lbs. Subliminal messages from TV ads really are the devil. LOL.

I like your idea of doing hobbies that are pointless. It's something to occupy your mind when you are bored.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Functional alcoholism isn't a type of alcoholism, it's a stage in a progressive disease.
Sounds like things are already progressing.

Generally people don't seek out a forum like this unless they are concerned. There is obviously a small question in your mind that something isn't quite right.

I think the best thing to do would be to quit for a while, 90 days, or more, and see how you feel. Less than 90 days is really not going to teach you much.

If you are being honest with yourself, YOU will know the answer.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try and go 30 days without drinking and see what happens. That will give you a lot of insight.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

The question is easy, can you have a non alcoholic beverage instead of alcohol?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There is nothing in your post that makes me think you are alcoholic. No mention of cravings or loss of control, no mention of the obsession of the mind, no mention of the spiritual malady.

You sound more like someone who is dveloping a health problem because they drink too much. The answer is simple, stop or moderate. You don't seem to have any trouble not drinking when the circumstances call for it.

Function alcoholic is an odd term. It means means someone who is alcoholic but doing so well at life that they are not near the bottom. The truth is they are usually well on the way but don't realise it. It's a kind of denial.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Only you can answer the "am I or aren't I" question. If booze is interfering with your life,or altering the outcome. And you find yourself drinking when you told yourself "I'm not gonna do that this time". You might be well on your way to a huge problem.
Personally, I see some "red flags" in your post. And I hope you don't take this the wrong way (I am just trying to be honest). But some of your description of your drinking seems to be making excuses for your drinking habits. Which is something a lot of us here do.
But yes,one good test is simply to quit drinking for a spell. If you find you can't do it. You will have to answer the question yourself.
Fred
Old 04-08-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah doublebarrel is right. I tried quiting cigarettes one time by getting those nicotine free ones. I figured I liked smoking cigarettes and could do without the nicotine. I learned I didnt like smoking cigarettes at all I really just liked nicotine.

I also tried non alcoholic beer to quit drinking. Thought oh i'll be fine. I just like beer I'm not after the alcohol its just a biproduct. I promptly stopped that insanity and got the real stuff. I then realized I didnt like beer But I sure loved alcohol.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We are glad you are here, amigo.

I saw a whole lot of my story in your post, particularly in the statement that "Each year it has increased."

If I shared my story, you may think that I had plaigerized your post.

I hope that you stick around.

If this way of life was bad, I wouldn't keep doing it.

But I have had a very blessed life and it all started when I sought help for my problem drinking/alcoholism.

Please keep coming back.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CS007 View Post
Is alcohol causing problems in my life? No.
Then why are you here?
Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi CS

Noone here can proclaim you an alcoholic

The reason I think I might have a problem is because a lot of times when I'm drinking I think of things I want to to do. Work out, exercise, lose weight, etc. But then during the day, I never do these things.
why not write a list and instead of drinking to alleviate boredom, start doing those things?

If you can do that, and not obsess about or miss drinking, then there's no problem

D
Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Can you live without drinking? For how long?

Define "boredom" and you can change all of this if alcohol isn't a true concern and boredom really is the problem?
Glad you found SR!!