Notices

Hobbies & sobriety

Old 04-06-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hobbies & sobriety

How many of you have started a new hobby since quiting? Whether it be an exercise regime or a sport of some kind, I've always played golf my whole life but since I stopped drinking I have found a new love for it that was always there but buried under a thousand beer bottles⛳️
What has kept you guys busy? Thanks.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am looking for a hobby... Think i need something to do just for me... Dunno what though!!! Just enjoying having the energy to do housework n gardening atm
Enjoy the golf!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I have gotten interested in fountain pens. To use them I have started writing letters to friends and family.

Some even write back.

I also journal.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Coloring books made for grown ups.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Running, not very fast and not very pretty, but I have completed 7 ultras and 8 marathons.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pixy View Post
Running, not very fast and not very pretty, but I have completed 7 ultras and 8 marathons.
Running , love it . Gives me a free natural high. Doing first half this year and intend to go further.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Doggone Carl - write to me! I love getting and writing letters :-)

I haven't taken up new hobbies, but re-engaged with my old ones that I let slide, and old friends.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love fountain pens and sealing wax, too. I have a particular fondness for green ink. But I have gotten so out of practice with the act of handwriting. My penmanship is atrocious! I like to write and send, but people have a tough time deciphering!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Writing and singing karaoke. That was scary the first time I forced myself to do it sober xxxx
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I now pop into the gym near work almost every evening as it's literally on my way home. "Before" I would have found any excuse to meet up with friends and go to the pub, but when you're not drinking the allure of standing about for hours in a crowded bar drinking Coke isn't as appealing as it used to be when that Coke would have been mixed with Bacardi!

I love the classes in my gym, especially yoga and pilates (very relaxing and you can feel your body detoxing!), also boxfit, pump and Zumba. I like not having to think too much in the gym - it's great just following the instructor, knowing that you're getting a great workout without too much mental effort!

I've also taken up ski lessons at a local snow dome (indoor ski slope) as I want to improve my technique before next year's ski holiday. I also find that hangover-free weekends mean I can fit so much more in than before, when I would have spent all of Saturday and Sunday feeling rotten, hiding under my duvet waiting to feel a bit human again. Weekends are amazing now, whether I'm meeting up with family or friends for (alcohol-free) lunches or dinners, going to the theatre or music gigs, shopping, treating myself to hair appointments or massages, or just pootling about at home tidying/cleaning or just chilling out watching TV or reading. Weekends are actually fun and fulfilling now, rather than being empty hungover voids of yuckiness!!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I'm off and on with the exercise. If only it would stick like the wine did... Lol I recently started running and I like the no thinking that is involved in it (with the exception of why are these **^~£!¥*€? earbuds not staying in my ears?)

I also took up dance lessons. I am taking a break because the private lessons were expensive so I am waiting on the next round of group lessons to start.

I also got into reading again. I was always an avid reader but it is hard to concentrate with a bottle of wine in you.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Running , love it . Gives me a free natural high. Doing first half this year and intend to go further.
I signed up for a Disney half early next year. I'm scared and excited all at once.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to love fishing when I was younger, so I got back into that. It's not expensive unless you want it to be. For less than $75 I had a nice rod/reel and some tackle. It's a good way to get some peace and quiet and be outside. Plenty of fishing from the shore at a bunch of places. Next goal is a fishing kayak or small canoe.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to the warmer weather over in the UK so I can start fishing again....the early mornings never appealed on a massive Sunday morning hangover. Caught a 26lbs Pike over on the West Coast of Ireland about 10 years ago....one of my proudest moments

And obviously as the username suggests....I've rediscovered running.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I started a salt water reef tank back several years ago when I first quit.
Now that I'm not drinking, I'm very much into that hobby again.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My hobby is radio controlled airplanes. It also was when I was drinking. But a big part of the hobby is building them. So when I was drinking,I spent a lot of time fixing the things I did trying to build them when I was drunk.
Since I have been sober I have built some pretty elaborate airplanes. It's a pretty flexible hobby. If all you want to do is fly,you can buy them pretty much ready to fly. Or you can go completely the other direction,and design and cutout with an exacto knife,and build.
Electric motors and batteries have come a long way in the last few years. You can even wind your own electric motors if that interests you. Like I say.it's a pretty flexible hobby,and most anyone that likes things that fly can find something of interest.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php

Fred
Old 04-07-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Taking up my old hobby, scrapbooking and reading, and I ditched FB, to much negativity
Old 04-07-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I do MORE woodworking. (I would drive drunk, but I would never touch my power saws drunk. Possibly the only one of my original thou shalt nots that I never broke.)

I took some personal finance classes.

I exercise a bit more. (Still not enough.)

Wife and I are taking a Tuesday evening gardening course.

Watch a little more TV (or maybe I just remember what I watched, so it seems like more)
Old 04-07-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Exercising a lot more, playing my guitar again albeit poorly lol, learning how to work on my truck. Simple and accessible works for me!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

All since getting sober
bicycle riding
remote control off road race cars
hiking
fishing
MM