Notices

Normal drinkers will just never understand

Old 04-05-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Normal drinkers will just never understand

But, you know what, I don't understand them sometimes either.

The way they only have one glass of wine on occasion with dinner. Really?? What is the point then? May as well not drink at all!

The way they look at you funny for drinking in the day (or morning). What is so magical about evening anyway?

The way they "better not have a drink" because they have stuff to do later. Umm...that's one of the reasons I drink. To help me get through my day.

The way they go to social functions and dinner with friends and just drink soda. I didn't get dressed up and leave my house to have soda. I'm here to party.

The way they don't really like the taste of alcohol. Pfft. Details. That's like not eating dessert because you aren't hungry.

Ok, anyway. I was just thinking about some normal or non- drinkers in my life just don't get my struggle with alcoholism, but I've never really understood their lack of desire to drink either.

Hope everyone is having a nice, sober weekend.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had a guy at the local package store tell me to mark a bottle label with a pencil so I know how much to drink per night. This was when he didn't have any pints left.
I was like, yeah ok.lol

More like black out was when I stopped.

I'm having a great sober night and weekend.
Getting a lot accomplish as usual since I put that bottle down over 8 months ago.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i never saw any reason to get a 6 pack and not finish it in one sitting. that made absolutly no sense to me. Or the ones that decide after a couple drinks there tired and going to bed. HA the night is still young.

Yeah i dont get them at all. And they REALLY dont understand me. I had to actually figure this out and accept it as such too.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same here. WTF good is a single drink (or even two or three)? You get that nice warm feeling, only to let it fade? "Oh, that was a nice glass of wine. I'm going to go do my laundry now." Craziness.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

What really used to get me was Easter. My sister in laws would sit and drink some wine before, during, and after dinner (slowly, like a normal drinker of course) and also during the cleanup. Then, they'd go for a 5 mile walk.

Who does that?????

Normal drinker's that's who.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like it when the ones who know I am alcoholic start hiding the booze. As if I can't smell bourbon in a windstorm.

I guess they think I'll snap and attack them for their drinks. I just let them guess.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

I took a POS job during my relapse so that I could drink before, during and after work. There was a staff party one night on the premises...I think it may have been Valentine's Day. A guy I worked with wanted to go and asked if I'd go to, just have some fun, and because he liked one of the women who was going to be there.

So I went, despite the fact that I'd become an almost exclusively drink-by-myself-at-home drinker by then, though I did drink outside when I needed to, or when it was pleasant or convenient to do so. Anyway, there was a two-drink maximum for staff, and they only served beer and wine. I had two Foster's but stayed a while longer since I always had at least two pints with me in my backpack. Otherwise, I never would have gone in the first place.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I had two Foster's but stayed a while longer since I always had at least two pints with me in my backpack. Otherwise, I never would have gone in the first place.
Wow, you just gave me a total revelation. I remember how important it was and how excited I would be to go to someone's house to see them on the weekends. Then, how equally important it became to leave once my 6 pack was gone.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

What really used to get me was Easter. My sister in laws would sit and drink some wine before, during, and after dinner (slowly, like a normal drinker of course) and also during the cleanup. Then, they'd go for a 5 mile walk.
LMFAO. GOOD GOD WHY!! Its time to eat some garbage food and drink some more. a 5 mile walk? HAHAHAHHAHAHA WHAT FOR!!!

I can laugh now. I'll go for a 5 mile run just for fun.

I remember the goodie 2 shoes types. Aaa what a nice meal wine was tasty too lets go do xyz now (that doesnt involve nor could it involve drinking) and i'd sit back and think oh god look at those lifeless loosers I'm gonna have another beer while they go do dumb stuff.

It is rather comical to think back on it. Now I'm the nerd sitting home on a sat night doing nothing but happily sober after my nice meal. Heck I even drove to the store at 8pm!! IN years prior that never happend i was good and liquored up by then no way i'd drive.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
LMFAO. GOOD GOD WHY!! Its time to eat some garbage food and drink some more. a 5 mile walk? HAHAHAHHAHAHA WHAT FOR!!!

I can laugh now. I'll go for a 5 mile run just for fun.

I remember the goodie 2 shoes types. Aaa what a nice meal wine was tasty too lets go do xyz now (that doesnt involve nor could it involve drinking) and i'd sit back and think oh god look at those lifeless loosers I'm gonna have another beer while they go do dumb stuff.

It is rather comical to think back on it. Now I'm the nerd sitting home on a sat night doing nothing but happily sober after my nice meal. Heck I even drove to the store at 8pm!! IN years prior that never happend i was good and liquored up by then no way i'd drive.
LMAO! No respect. Now we're sitting here SOBER and STILL making fun of them.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Originally Posted by zjw View Post

So funny you say this. I really thought every one else who didn't drink were the lame-ohs. What is so wrong with them that they don't like to have fun???? Ugh, so embarrassing to admit I thought that way.

You know why I never had sober fun? Because I was constantly agitated, obsessing over the next drink. Now that I no longer obsess, I have been having a lot of sober fun doing regular things.

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post

So I went, despite the fact that I'd become an almost exclusively drink-by-myself-at-home drinker by then, though I did drink outside when I needed to, or when it was pleasant or convenient to do so. Anyway, there was a two-drink maximum for staff, and they only served beer and wine. I had two Foster's but stayed a while longer since I always had at least two pints with me in my backpack. Otherwise, I never would have gone in the first place.
This reminds of another thing normal drinkers do. Give away their two free tickets for drinks at office parties. Yep, i was the collector of tickets that people weren't going to use because they don't drink and I got plastered. sigh
Old 04-05-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Omg, you guys! This thread is hilarious!
I've been down in the dumps today and reading this thread whilst laughing and nodding to myself in agreement has been the best medicine!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree, loving this thread!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

I could only ever drive one way to a bar or party. My poor wife. On Summer beach vacations she would want to have one nice dinner out as a couple. I would always try and dodge these because it meant I needed to drive.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

I've got serious insomnia to the point where for bout past decade been on prescribed narcotic( yeah believe it or not)-tamazepam to help sleep. So I'm 1 of these guys if I have a small amt of alc @ nite it will wake me up guranteed @ 3/4 in the mrg. So I was thinkin recently while talking to my brother that this may have been 1 of the reasons I turned into alki. But I do know that I'm not a normal drinker coz having 1/2 drinks & calling it a nite is alc abuse
Old 04-05-2014, 10:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by 1newcreation View Post
I've got serious insomnia to the point where for bout past decade been on prescribed narcotic( yeah believe it or not)-tamazepam to help sleep.
You might sleep better knowing that temazepam, though addictive, is not classified as a narcotic in the States. It's another benzo.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by GreenEggsAndHam View Post

This reminds of another thing normal drinkers do. Give away their two free tickets for drinks at office parties. Yep, i was the collector of tickets that people weren't going to use because they don't drink and I got plastered. sigh
Yes, been the collector of tickets as well. I'll be proud to give them away this year.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Then I suppose most of you cringed when Andy Dufresne said, "No thanks, I gave up drinking." in Shawshank Redemption.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Fantastic thread. Thanks, greeneggs.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Drinking in the shower.
Actually jugging alcohol while driving.

Sitting in an alley drinking.
Sitting by the ocean or river drinking.

Sitting at home alone, drinking.

Yeah man, I never understood a normal drinker until I was in AA for awhile. I understand them now.