Hmmm

Old 04-05-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~sb

Hmmm

Old 04-05-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Very cool, SB, I am all over that advice, I think it is spot on. The big surprise is the source, huh?

Thanks for posting it.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That never got me far...in sobriety I learned that I am not schizophrenic and the "voice" was me(slight exaggeration I never really heard voices like a schizophrenic can, no offence to anyone with this illness).I needed to change not some other thing in my head! Jeez!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

of course that voice is me, too!

It still had me going for a long, long time.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Sugarbear1, FANTASTIC. Rootin for ya.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If it works for some people I am all for it. I remember guys in NA who had been to rehab using the term SLICK to mean their Addict Voice so whenever the voice told them to use or do something plain stupid they would try not to listen to it.

I already had a multitude of voices in my head when I walked into AA and definitely for this alcoholic being told that one of them was real and not to listen to it would have been in my mind at the time confirming just how crazy I thought I was anyway.

Kind of reminds me of people that think the Devil us inside them! I only robbed the post office because the Devil told me to do it but when I helped the old lady across the road that was me;-)
Old 04-05-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

What despair that message creates for me. You mean 'just don't drink", what a revolutionary thought! That would never occur to an alcoholic?

The message asks me to do the impossible. It hints that eveyone else can do it, why can't I? I must be weak or not worthy. I tried so many times to follow this advice, and almost died as a result.

I am expected to overcome a craving that is beyond my ability to control. There is no hope for me.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Sounds like recognizing the AV when it starts its nonsense and not picking up the first drink/drug and feed the beast no matter what. That's the basis of AVRT.
He has some good techniques for recognizing and dissociating oneself from one's addiction >that nasty little voice which tries to get us to pick up< and I have used some of it before. I don't believe in throwing out the baby with the bath water and like to have as many tools on my belt as possible.