Notices

Sometimes I don't want to do service work

Old 04-05-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sometimes I don't want to do service work

My friend called me for a ride Last night to a meeting this morning. I wanted to say no because it is out of my way and it would waste gas and I would have to get up extra early. She asks a lot of other people but some don't help her out and her sponsor we share the same sponsor. I feel bad to say no and if she asks me for a ride and I say yes but can't do it in the end I usually end up finding someone else for her. I guess we just have to do what we can for others it's hard for me because I still like to be selfish.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Or it might be other adults are responsible to have a car .

Don't beat yourself up .

IMO -you do that a lot
Old 04-05-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You cannot do EVERYTHING you are ever asked to do. It is silly to feel guilty or selfish about this.

And why not let her find someone else? Why would you find someone for her? I think if anything is selfish, that is. There is no reason to keep her all to yourself and cut off her contact with others. If she asks other she will need to talk to others--which is a good thing.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Miami fella has it right. I used to give people rides all the time, especially guys in halfway houses. I also asked a few other people if they would mind if I gave their numbers out. People I knew would help and be happy to do their bit.

Karate I am glad your alcoholism has never left you broke, or minus a license, or minus a car. Lots of people in aa have no way to get to meetings. They need money? No. I am not an atm, but, I try to live up to the saying about being responsible if someone asks for help. Peace.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I don't think it's so much about service work as it is about you learning to set boundaries and learning to say no. Maybe some issues with people pleasing in your corner? I tend to struggle with it too. This is why I put "Behold the power of NO" in my signature, it's a good daily reminder for me.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You are not obliged to do do anything out of your comfort zone.That is detrimental in my opinion xxxx
Old 04-06-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Our primary purpose is to stay sober and to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety."

Most times we do this we get a lot of personal satisfaction. This is the way the fellowship works and without it we wither on the vine.

BE WELL