Notices

Still going strong.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol Abistence- 03-18-2014

Still going strong.

Hey all, it's been awhile since I posted a personal update. Since the 18th of last month I've been sober. Not a beer or shot to my name. It feels great. As some of you know from my day 1 post here on SR, I was in a rough spot job and friend wise.

First and foremost I want to thank everyone here again for the words of advice, sharing their own stories of success and/or failure, and just being around in general. This has become like my own little safe haven when any thoughts of drinking come up. So thank you again SR.

The job thing has been going well, I start a new one on the 17th doing some Limo driving. Not the most glamorous job, but hey, it pays the same as my old one and I get tips. Can't argue with that! lol.

The friend thing has been a bit tougher. A lot of them initially thought I was doing it as an excuse to be forgiven, but I'm trying to prove them wrong in that regards. I've written each a personal apology, and a few have outright said that it took guts and consider wrong doings forgiven. Others haven't, but that's to be expected.

I did have a funny request yesterday from some friends, with my reply blowing their minds it seemed. We were having a bar-b-que, and one of my buds started talking about what they would do for the weekend. Of course going to the bar came up, and they asked if I wanted to go. I politely declined, stating that I'm an alcoholic and going to the bar isn't very conductive to me staying sober. One of my friends said "Well, we can just give you some O'Doules (Not sure how it's spelt), and tear off the logo." so I can pretend like I'm drinking a real beer. When I told him it had alcohol in it, he looked like he just realized the sky was blue. Had this sort of half twisted, ****-eyed gaze of disbelief. Long story short, I won a 50$ bet from it, and I got one of the better laughs of my life.

Here's to a good day 17 and a hopefully awesome day 18. Keep strong all.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Nate. I just went back to your original post where you were disgusted with yourself and just wanted out of your lifestyle. I've read lots of posts like that, where people just want to opt out of the drunken cycle, usually because they've done something they were ashamed of.
They keep it up for a day or two, then the cravings hit, and they relapse.
It's wonderful to read a post like yours, more than 2 weeks on where you are still going strong. Keep it up!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol Abistence- 03-18-2014

Appreciated FeelingGreat. There were too many "It won't happen again" for this to be a two day, three day, or even a week event at this point. As I said, my rock bottom was hit. No job, friends around the neighborhood disgusted with me, and me disgusted with myself. I consider myself fortunate that this is all it took-- since I'm still alive and I don't regret putting down the bottle or the can one bit.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Well done Nate
Old 04-04-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear you're doing well Nate

D