Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Everyone tells us about the damage alcohol causes the liver

Notices

Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's a well known fact that alcohol will destroy the liver over a long period of time. But, what most people don't know is what it can do to your entire body through high blood pressure. Before I made my changes, I consistently had high blood pressure readings. 150/90, 140/80 160/90, whatever...it was high. I chalked it up to anxiety and stress...tried exercising, meditation or fish oils...nothing worked. I always felt like someone had my guts clenched in their fist.

I never attributed it to alcohol. But, I was on a horrible cycle. Drink at night and then suffer with a mild hangover until about 11:00, then have the accompanying anxiety. Then when I got home, I would drink again to relieve the anxiety. It was downright miserable. I tried quitting, but I really missed the relaxation that came with a few (stress few) beers.

Since I have been on my plan - I don't remember the day, but it's probably been about two months, my blood pressure has dropped unbelievably. I took it this morning and it was 115/65. I exercise a lot so that helps too.

I guess the point is that I was always concerned about my BP, but I failed to see what was really causing it.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't seem to remember but is your plan abstaining from alcohol?

Excessive alcohol consumption has negative effects on every vital organ in your body.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to hear to hear that your blood pressure has normalized, crossfitdad; great news.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The health dangers from alcohol are well documented.

Yet they weren't enough to get me to quit.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nope.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

After 6 years on the highest dose of statin my liver could tolerate (40 mg) the doctor took me off it less than a year after I quit drinking. My cholesterol had returned to normal. No other dietary changes.

Coincidence? Unlikely.

My BP, however, remains elevated. I am overweight, so that's a factor, but I was hoping for at least a small dip in BP from not drinking. But...Nothing. (I was also hoping the weight would fall off, but that hasn't happened either. At least not fast enough for my liking.)
Old 04-03-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
Nope.
Gtocha - I hope it works out for you, moderation never did for me though. I am glad you are reducing in any event - based on user name assuming you are health conscious.

For me, I was unable to achieve the peace and serenity I now feel until I removed it for good and built a spiritual program. I too used to use exercise to get right - certain body fat % etc. But I always used alcohol and to a lesser extent drugs for emotional escape. This basically resulted in all my hard work in the gym or in sports being nothing more than binge fad diets. It would work for a period of time but there would always be something to draw me back. I found I had to break the spell or negative cycle once and for all.

Again this just my experience. However, once getting right mentally, I have found everything else has fallen into place, including my health and fitness too.

Good luck

NonSensical - My weight loss did not occur in earnest until I applied the same techniques to drinking and drugs to my other addictions. This included removing all processed sugars and wheat from my diet entirely. I am now down 26lbs in 4 months and below 17% body fat. All vital signs and BP are in great shape.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As soon as i stopped drinking , my blood pressure went from 180/90 to 110/60 -120/70

And continues to stay that way after 9 months sober . My cholesterol is better , my blood sugar is better , my liver enzymes are almost normal . I have gone from slow suicide to normality .

Alcohol has a lot to answer for . It solves no problems , only exacerbates everything .

Glad yours has come down too crossfitdad.

;-)
Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

NonSensical - My weight loss did not occur in earnest until I applied the same techniques to drinking and drugs to my other addictions. This included removing all processed sugars and wheat from my diet entirely. I am now down 26lbs in 4 months and below 17% body fat. All vital signs and BP are in great shape.
I cut processed sugars and wheat pretty much out of my diet as well.

In regards to the moderation thing: I am very happy with it. It may not be for everybody. Like I have said it previous posts, I don't doubt one single bit that I became physically dependent on alcohol. I never got the shakes or anything, but if I went a few days without it, I would get night sweats and have terrible trouble sleeping. In all honesty, I wasn't drinking a whole lot, but it was too much for me. I was never the type to not be able to stop when I wanted...even when blitzed...I knew when I reached the tipping point. I think I just got into a bad habit of relying on alcohol and then I began physically dependent on it. I don't think I ever drank to "escape"...I really don't have anything to escape from...I thank God for my wonderful family and life...I am blessed beyond reason. Even though my drinking never progressed over the years, I knew it was possible. I knew I had a problem.

My goal was to taper down from my usual 5-6 beers to 4-5. I did that for several weeks. Then I went to 3-4. I'm down to 2-3 beers...and I have zero desire to go beyond that third beer. As I said in other posts, I can't guarantee I will never get drunk again, but I can guarantee that I will never be hungover for a work day again...it's just too miserable. Perhaps 2 beers a night isn't the best thing for me, but neither is red meat.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As soon as i stopped drinking , my blood pressure went from 180/90 to 110/60 -120/70
It really is amazing isn't it? I can see why...when I was hanging (whether slight or great), I felt like my insides were in a vice. I went to a therapist for stress reduction, I tried taking herbs...I had no idea what was causing it. Nowadays, I have very little stress or anxiety - except for what my business causes me.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I guess the point is that I was always concerned about my BP, but I failed to see what was really causing it.

good to hear that you are doing so much better

all we have to do is

keep doing what we have been doing

things that have helped us to stay sober

I just don't change or mess with my Program

MM
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post

Excessive alcohol consumption has negative effects on every vital organ in your body.
Your skeletal structure can be considered an 'organ' in this sense. After a bone scan about ten years ago my doc said I need to stop drinking. But did I listen?
Osteoporosis is another side effect in many. I was in my 40's - male - when I was told this. Hopefully I won't need new knees soon.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't think I ever drank to "escape"...I really don't have anything to escape from...I thank God for my wonderful family and life...I am blessed beyond reason. Even though my drinking never progressed over the years, I knew it was possible. I knew I had a problem.
Did you ever drink after a bad day or drink after a really good day? For me I found my drinking was tied to an emotional state of mind. At first this was not a problem. But then as tolerance grew it would take more for me to achieve the state of bliss that I desired. Then the effects of the alcohol started to affect my moods. Said differently alcohol was not a problem until it became its own problem.

I too was always able to use will to put down the drink. Until I couldn't. But there would be those infrequent at first nights that I would deserve to go all out. Those too became more. It is progressive.

Listen, I don't agree with your approach bc it never worked for me and there are countless pages of other fails with respect to moderation and addicts. Maybe your just a normal drinker that likes to hang on a sober website? More power. One thing is for sure it will either work or it won't in the end I am sure you will gain the clarity. In the meantime, I am glad your health is improving.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Your skeletal structure can be considered an 'organ' in this sense. After a bone scan about ten years ago my doc said I need to stop drinking. But did I listen?
Osteoporosis is another side effect in many. I was in my 40's - male - when I was told this. Hopefully I won't need new knees soon.
I was reading yesterday about vitamin D levels and osteoporosis, I believe VitD helps facilitate the absorption of calcium. I know a lot of us have low D levels.

My blood pressure the day before I left rehab after 29 days sober was 99/66, how weird is that? Talk about zen.

Re the OP, something that I didn't realize was how high ammonia levels can be when we are drinking, I was tested right before I got sober and they put me on something immediately. Research a bit about high ammonia levels and the brain…makes sobriety look like a walk in the park next to the damage we could do.http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...-2/143-145.htm
Old 04-03-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, in fact alcohol , in excess, damages every single system in the body to some degree. Every organ, the nervous systems, bones, the whole darn lot. The liver is actually often the last to go as it's fairly resilient compared to the other organs.

I get annoyed though when people think the only damage alcohol causes is purely physical. I mean the psychological stuff hurts just as much, if not a whole lot more than the physical stuff. The anxiety and that deep dark depression that accompanies heavy drinking was far worse for me than the fact my doctor said I had slightly elevated liver enzymes and slightly high blood pressure when I first quit. Of course major liver problems are very bad to live with but I think people all too often leave out the psychological damage alcohol can do to you...
Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maybe your just a normal drinker that likes to hang on a sober website?
I wrote several explanations for this, but they either came off as defensive or somewhat appearing like I'm only here to read cautionary tales or just to waste time. I deleted those words and thought about it. I think you're right. It only brings me down anyway and makes me focus way too much on drinking. It's not healthy for me to be on this site and I waste way too much time here. Plus, it's probably not good for others for me to post regarding moderation.

This will be my last post. I'm confident in my ability to live a normal life while also enjoying life. Good luck and prayers to everyone.

Crossfitdad
Old 04-03-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I cut processed sugars and wheat pretty much out of my diet as well.
I did that 4 years ago. It has had no impact on my physique or blood test results, but my moods are more stable and I get significantly less indigestion.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

After years of sobriety I'm amazed how much alcohol messed with my brain/mind and the heavy changes that happened when I quit. I was warned about this by a Doc once (and I was of course lying about how much I was drinking). That AV is an evil little dude! It takes longer than I thought to pull him out of the cockpit.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't think you should read too much into what others think or write. What's important is what you are doing is working for *you*. That is a fabulous thing!

For many, many people, physical dependence equates to psychological dependence / addiction and complete abstinence is the *only* way that will work for them.

For me it seems the only thing that works is complete abstinence and sober living. I have been living a sober life for over 14 months now.

Best wishes, hugs and smiles from me to you.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah you should do what works for you....I tried that and it wasn't for me so I realize I can never drink again but I'm fine with after going thru PAWS and the accompanying anxiety and brain fog I'll never think of drinking again