Notices

Think I need to rework the steps

Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think I need to rework the steps

I think I have done the steps to the best of my ability I am going through a quick review of the steps 8, 9,10,11,12with my sponsor but I think I need to focus on steps 6 and 7 primarily more. My sponsor and I are moving onto the traditions. In a week. I have two more amends I have to make. I don't have anymore 4th or 5th steps right now to do. I told all my secrets. My character defects keep popping up again. I was thinking of asking my sponsor if we could read drop the rock while doing the traditions.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm scared I won't grow anymore or be able to sponsor anyone.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I think if you are aware of your defects and you do your 10 step everyday and recognize those behaviors and work to better them, it will come with time, right? I think going over the steps again is a good idea and reading that book is another great idea. But I think that getting better is a daily task rather than a destination.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

trust in your sponsor and in the process

if not, then write a 4th step on things bothering you today (lack of growth, your need to sponsor self, needing to tell sponsor how you will grow....)

Old 04-02-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
trust in your sponsor and in the process

if not, then write a 4th step on things bothering you today (lack of growth, your need to sponsor self, needing to tell sponsor how you will grow....)

I love how you say sponsor self thanks for the reminder last time I thought I knew better than my sponsor and I almost relapsed was 8 months sober. Coming up on a year on Sunday. I'm also telling my story for the 2nd time.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
I think if you are aware of your defects and you do your 10 step everyday and recognize those behaviors and work to better them, it will come with time, right? I think going over the steps again is a good idea and reading that book is another great idea. But I think that getting better is a daily task rather than a destination.
Thanks for the reminder of doing the 10th step.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"My character defects keep popping up again."
wouldn't it be great if them character defects/shortcomings just disappeared when we first did the 6-7th steps!?!?!
unfortunately, that is not how it goes:
This thought brings us to Step Ten, which suggests we continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along. We vigorously commenced this way of living as we cleaned up the past. We have entered the world of the Spirit. Our next function is to grow in understanding and effectiveness. This is not an overnight matter. it should continue for our lifetime.Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. Love and tolerance of others is our code.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Steps 6 and 7 are the ones to continue working on a daily basis to remove those character defects. It is crucial the you do a written daily inventory too because if you gave your defects staring you in the eye you are far more likely to want to do something about them. Our perception of ourselves sometimes goes askew hence why sometimes you will do a dally inventory and be very enlightened.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

my higher power decides which defects to remove and which ones will hang out and which ones can be useful to another.....if I could do this, I wouldn't need a higher power......

I can, however, be aware of my patterns of behavior and I can change those behaviors......

Talk with your sponsor some more.