Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How to stop drinking when significant other has no intention of quitting

Notices

How to stop drinking when significant other has no intention of quitting

Old 04-03-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
One thing that I have seen and to keep in mind is that people who drink and are alcoholics feel threatened when their drinking buddy or partner gets sober. My husband certainly tried to sabotage my earlier efforts by bringing home beer or asking me to get it for him. Probably because if I stopped then he would have to really look at what he was doing.
Yes, that's exactly what my boyfriend did last night. When he came home from work he brought a six pack of tall cans and asked me if I wanted one. I said no and I didn't drink at all, and it was actually pretty easy to not drink. He on the other hand, drank all six cans and wasn't even totally drunk. He just texted me RIGHT NOW as I'm typing this and asked if I wanted to drink tonight.
I understand that he is not going to change and he is not going to like it that I am going to change. I hope that we can work this out but if not, the kids and I will have to move on.