Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Brief history on how AA got to be where it is today

Notices

Brief history on how AA got to be where it is today

Old 04-02-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Setting aside questions about the OP’s recovery or his motivations for posting, I’d like to address the linked article itself for a moment if I may.

LOL...

hmmm, what article?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I want to thank the community at large for some really great reasoned open minded and balanced posts here.
are we reading the same thread??

Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Be at peace brother 'noob'
Angst such as yours can seriously damage ones health.
Relax back and enjoy your newfound (i assume that you are a newcomer) sobriety.
G
Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAnoob View Post
are we reading the same thread??

It's interesting that you find value in the comments section of the article you posted, full of common everyday folks, but not in the people here, who are experts in addiction and recovery by virtue of real life experience, and often clinical work on both sides of the aisle as well.

What are you looking for? Acknowledgement that AA isn't perfect? It isn't. No one has the answer as to how to consistently treat alcoholism successfully. It's an extremely complicated blend of mind body genetic spiritual and behavioral inter connectedness.

We, those in recovery, are blessed to have escaped alive, and it's not due to being more clever than the next guy.

But you seem to have all the answers. What are you trying to prove to us? That with a couple months sobriety that you understand addiction better than those who have battled and won over decades?

OK, your turn. What's the solution? Are you just shooting down and criticizing without an answer of your own?

Or are you setting up for relapse, cause honestly that what it looks like to me. Intellectualizing all the reasons AA isn't perfect, so you have something to blame when it fails for you.

I hope I'm wrong. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed some posts under rules 3 and 4.

D
Old 04-02-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

breif thoughts on the matter

I have posted several threads regarding AA
and have attended a couple of thousand meetings during 45 years or so
and now attend prox 2 to 3 meetings a week
and I have a lot of close friends in AA
everyone I know works a different Program
some strictly AA
some AA with church and bible studies
some work what they think to be the Doctor Bob Program
some work what they think to be the Bill Wilson Program
some work the Program mixed with what they learned in treatment
and the list goes on and on

main 5 points
AA seems to work good for some
and then there are others who stay perfectly sober without it
some like the old AA
some like the new AA
some are willing to do and believe in anything so as to stay sober

being a Christian I can't believe in everything taught in AA
thus I work what I think to be my Program
a mixture of AA, church and this site for support

I have recommended this site and other recovery sites to friends in AA
to date no one seems interested
not a problem
seems that we all need to find our own road to recovery
I always like to throw in -- with God's help
then there are others who seem not to want anything to do with God

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink

MM
Old 04-02-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
*sigh* A simple program for complicated people.
Okay read the whole thread and this just stood out for me. This just says it all to me. I use to make things so complicated. Even in early recovery I made it complicated.

Instead of trying to make everything so complicated I decided to try keeping it simple. There is something to that.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
full of common everyday folks, but not in the people here, who are experts in addiction and recovery by virtue of real life experience, and often clinical work on both sides of the aisle as well.
You are joking right?

Or are you setting up for relapse, cause honestly that what it looks like to me. Intellectualizing all the reasons AA isn't perfect, so you have something to blame when it fails for you.
let's not play dr phil here...
Old 04-03-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Noob, there is a book I hope you have time to look up and further your quest for AA history.
It's in PDF, but the book is better cos I have one and enjoy reading it.
That book is "how it worked" @

How It Worked -THE STORY OF CLARENCE H. SNYDER

When you klik Chapter 1, I totally relate to this
lol

I Was Born At A Very Early Age

An individual becomes an alcoholic for three main reasons:

1. As a result of inheritance. He possesses a nervous system which is non-resistant to alcohol. (In no sense is a direct craving transmitted from parent to offspring.)

Old 04-03-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

AAnoob, well at least you are spending a lot of time diverting your attention away from using by pointing out the problems with AA, I just hope it works in the long run. Rootin for ya.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I truly believe that some things have to be learned on our own.

I know there are times I have heard things over and over again and although I was not confused about what was being said I just sort of tucked it away as some AA slogan or babble that can go around and around the rooms. Then every so often, like a mini lightening bolt something hits me and I get it.

What was being said over and over has finally sunk in and when I get those bolts of clarity it amazes me how simple it was. Once I see it, I can’t unsee it.

I think this may be one of those times that things need to be left alone and hopefully the lightening bolt will strike and they get it.

In the meantime.....patience tolerance and understanding.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

noob,

Seems to me that you are spending more time on debunking AA than you are with your drinking problem, Hay, if that keeps you sober, then go for it, but remember that what you post affects others. To me, you are just making fun of people with a serious problem at your expense. There is nothing funny about alcoholism. You are having a good time at peoples expenses. That's just cruel. If you were dealing with a serious problem you would know this. Personally, I think you are just a lonely guy looking for attention.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

noob

Did you consider this?

I think you may get a more positive response if you talk about the stuff that does help you instead of focusing on the stuff that needs to be different or the stuff that doesn't help
What does work for you?

If you want to dodge this question like you have most others, then I'll know why you are really spending time here at SR posting links to articles that bash AA.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

You are joking right?

let's not play dr phil here...
All im gonna say is that I see a lot of myself in your posts. Good luck noob.

I wish you all the best, but im not going to debate you.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
noob

Did you consider this?

What does work for you?

If you want to dodge this question like you have most others, then I'll know why you are really spending time here at SR posting links to articles that bash AA.
dodge?

I have mentioned more than a couple of times that I been going to AA meetings and enjoy the experience.

Is that so hard to believe?

I must hate AA so much, that I somehow keep going to these meetings.

(maybe it's because I got brainwashed by that catchy slogan, "Keep coming back, it works... if you work it!!!" :-)

And how convenient that you just posted an article of another Dr 'bashing' Dr. Dodes.

So it's ok for you to put up an article, but when I do it, it's horrible faux pas.

Perhaps it's just the general inability of people on here to handle any kind of criticisms that they have to get all defensive.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Perhaps it's just the general inability of people on here to handle any kind of criticisms that they have to get all defensive.
Perhaps not.

Defensive posturing is different then defending a community of like-minded members against biased slanted criticisms. Perhaps you're not skilled and knowledgeable of or with AA fellowship, program, history, and so on as really you pretty well just link to whatever interests you personally, and suggest this is important for newcomers. You stand on the shoulders of those before you and perhaps this encourages you to feel worthwhile and counted. Perhaps your own previous admission you don't do AA program is at the heart of your soapbox opinions on other peoples opinions.

Perhaps its unfortunate that you have confidence in other peoples linked opinions rather then your own real-life experiences to support your opinions of what is good and bad about AA. How satisfied you perhaps feel knowing thousands of such links are out there for you to remain interested and well occupied as you continue your research for the sake of AA newbies you have deemed are on a need-to-know basis.

Isn't the interwebs wonderful? Isn't it great that SR allows you to have these links on your threads, even though you make it abundantly clear you have no real experience with the real value of participating in and with the SR community. Perhaps this and perhaps that...

Welcome (again) to the SR internet community AAnoob!!
What's there not to love?!!

Old 04-04-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

And there's my answer.......

I wish you all the best AAnoob.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

One should not go into the home of another and intentionally insult their culture.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link AAnob.

There are lots of ways to get sober these days . . . and that is a good thing.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Perhaps not.
Perhaps, a little less focus on me and more focus on yourself...

and u might want to read this article at least a couple of times...

Your First AA Meeting<

Newcomers should also be prepared for the diversity and individuality of opinion that is usually expressed in meetings, and should realize that nobody in the meeting, regardless of how they may present themselves and their beliefs, is officially authorized to speak for AA itself. Everyone's opinion, from the rankest newcomer to the most seasoned and sober veteran, is simply their opinion. In AA there are no generals, no officers, nor even any non-coms. Everyone alike is a pfc – "private first class." This certainly does not mean that everyone's opinion is just as true or useful as everyone else's – but it does mean that no one has been officially commissioned with the AA authority to lord it over anyone else or to tell them with any authority beyond that of their personal opinion how they must practice their own program of recovery.