Notices

Am I an alchoholic?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I an alchoholic?

Hey everyone I'm new here. I have alcoholism in my family on both sides. I started drinking when I was 19 years old. I've never had a DIU before and I've never been arrested for drinking in public. I started noticing late last year around November that I was drinking a little bit too much so I decided to try to calm my alcohol intake down. When i first decided to stop drinking cold turkey, within the first two weeks of being sober I started craving cigarettes even though I don't smoke. Then I broke my vow to stop drinking and went on a drinking splurge. Then mid last month I decided to quit again and I've been sober ever since. Sometimes I get really bad cravings. I feel a weird feeling in my arms and legs when the cravings start. I don't feel them every day, I would say three times a week. About 30 minutes ago I started getting an alcohol craving that was really bad, but I didn't give in to it. Then I started getting the urge to smoke cigarets again so I went to the store and bought a pack and smoked a cigaret. The weird thing about this whole situation is that I hate cigarets so I don't understand why I'm craving them after I don't satisfy my need to drink.

Can someone please give me some insight on what's going on with me.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crowscare863 View Post
Hey everyone I'm new here. I have alcoholism in my family on both sides. I started drinking when I was 19 years old. I've never had a DIU before and I've never been arrested for drinking in public. I started noticing late last year around November that I was drinking a little bit too much so I decided to try to calm my alcohol intake down. When i first decided to stop drinking cold turkey, within the first two weeks of being sober I started craving cigarettes even though I don't smoke. Then I broke my vow to stop drinking and went on a drinking splurge. Then mid last month I decided to quit again and I've been sober ever since. Sometimes I get really bad cravings. I feel a weird feeling in my arms and legs when the cravings start. I don't feel them every day, I would say three times a week. About 30 minutes ago I started getting an alcohol craving that was really bad, but I didn't give in to it. Then I started getting the urge to smoke cigarets again so I went to the store and bought a pack and smoked a cigaret. The weird thing about this whole situation is that I hate cigarets so I don't understand why I'm craving them after I don't satisfy my need to drink.

Can someone please give me some insight on what's going on with me.
Havent had "whatever (DUI's, arrested, mischief charges, assault charges, DUI causing death charges, manslaughter charges)" Yet!!!!!
Cravings dont happen unless you took a drink. All you are expiriencing is what is called an obsession. This happens when were 100% sober. An idea that over-rides all other ideas to the contrary. So the insanity of it all is that you take a drink, knowing what happens to you when you take a drink. The brain will block that, and look at the miniscule good times you had. If you have progressed like I have. This disease is progressive, chronic and fatal. It progresses even when you dont drink, that is why you see people with years in, get in really bad shape and die very quickly. You never read "Died of alcoholism" on their gravestone or obituaries. So your question, Am I an alchoholic? Well I know for a fact am. No one can say if you are, only you can decide for yourself. Perhaps answer the questions AA asks, I think theres like 12 I cant remember. Its a good indicator for sure. Wish you th e best.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wonder this too because I can go weeks without and I've never been in any bad trouble but I don't like myself when I drink and it doesn't give me any happiness or fun anymore so going to do things sober and have fun that way.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Why not google that question & will get surveys that ask 5-10 questions & based on them can tell if an alki or not. But since posting this question, might be. Could be wrong & only you can make decision
Old 03-29-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crowscare863 View Post
I've never had a DUI before and I've never been arrested for drinking in public.
I never have either and I drank for 26 years.

If you are craving it I think that may tell you something. Normal, everyday social drinkers do not crave alcohol.

Only you can answer the question. It is something that you have to come to terms with and then do something about. I never thought I was and then when I did think I was I called myself a functional alcoholic because I never had any major consequences like jail or DUI.

The fact was, my life centered around that crave and I fed it everyday. I was an everyday drinker, some are binge drinkers, meaning they only go out every couple days or weeks but when they do, there is no stopping once they have that first drink.

It still comes down to you admitting it to yourself if that is in fact the case.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
oak

I also have never had a DUI or legal problems. Even though I did not drink much, alcohol was a big problem for me. Sobriety works so much better for me.

I assume the smoking is a way to alter your mood. It is common to replace one addiction for another.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cravings are a definate sign of alcoholism. Because when you give into the lie that you are THINKING, the obsession, and you take a drink then the body takes over and you crave more and more. Do not get the two terms misunderstood as it commonly is. When you are sober you never crave alcohol, its just an obsession of the mind. The cravings only start onces you drink, and the cravings get stronger and stronger with each drink. This explained a lot in my drinking case. I could barely walk, I could barely talk, puking, drooling, past out, but yet I wanted more alcohol and did whatever it took to get it. These are the essential facts about alcoholism and the basis of step one.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Does it matter if you meet the threshold for the label "alcoholic" or not? I'd ask if your drinking causes you problems, if the drinking seem to be escalating, and if you can stop without feeling the compulsion to drink. The fact that you are having trouble staying quit and the way you describe your desire to drink are definitely red flags to me.

Alcoholism is a progressive problem, where you slowly (or sometimes rapidly) get worse and the problems get bigger. Do you want to let it go to the point where it's clear that you are an alcoholic?

If you're having trouble staying quit, I'd suggest looking into getting some help - from close friends/family, doctors, addiction counselors, AA groups, whatever. I'd get on top of it now, don't wait until you have a DUI or an arrest or you lose your job or any of the other horrible things that can happen with an uncontrolled drinking problem.

Taking the time now to reflect on your drinking and asking questions is a great first step. Don't let your drinking drag you too far down, there's a long, long way down that you could go.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

Recommended AA related reading: "Living Sober."

Its a scary thing to think to your self you might be a alcoholic. I was there once and then many times later.

The book Living Sober is only about 60 pages long and will tell you sooooo much about what it means to be an alcoholic.

The reason I suggest it to you is because reading that book will either help you identify with having a alcohol problem or it will just give you some quick info on what it means to be an alcoholic and some tips on how to deal with alcoholism (outside of AA).

Check it out.., you can probably get it online PDF for free but better yet go to a AA meeting and donate $ there to but a book for yourself.