Notices

3/27 - 5 years Sober

Old 03-27-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

3/27 - 5 years Sober

Today is my 5 year anniversary. I want to share with you all some of my story...

I am "Ryno" and I am a alcoholic. First drink at 11. Did not like taste or smell so I dumped out beer a little at a time but made it look like I was drinking. My first drunk at 12. I stole a bottle of vodka left over from a social gathering my Mom had. Drank it with a friend and blacked out and woke up next morning with vomit everywhere and I didn't remember a thing.

From then on I wasn't afraid to actually drink at high school parties even though I was still in junior high. I became a regular Black out drinker but my intentions were always to Drink to party. At parties in highschool I always tried to drink more than everyone else. I had lots of friends in college so by the age of 16 highschool parties became boring and I started partying at colleges in New England.

I graduated highschool as s athlete and went onto college to play hockey. Classes almost never happened and I got kicked off team and suspended from the college.

Things did not get any better from there. I continued to go to parties with friends and I always brought alcohol. On several occasions I did stupid things (crimes) with people who were 21 so that they would buy me booze. I began to hang out with people who did drugs because they were f*kd up on drugs and i felt at norm being drunk around them on booze. I miraculously never used drugs but It seemed I was always around them. One time the Police served a no knock search warrant on the apartment next to a drug house I was in. When we heard them kick the door down we thought they were coming for us but were relieved when they went next door. But that scare didnt stop me from coming back.

At age of 20 I went to court for a violation charge of a minor in possession. I was forced to go to My to First AA meeting. I stayed sober for 6months but then turned 21.

I began frequenting bars and driving drunk. One time a bouncer that knew me as a regular stopped me from driving home and haled me a cab. I regularly got in fights with people at parties or bars and somehow always made it home.

On one ocassion I was with "friends" in the back seat of a car when the driver and passenger began arguing over drugs. They got out of car and got into a fist fight. Cops came and driver told them I was driving. All three of us got taken to PD but I was released because when they did intox I was below legal limit. I stopped talking to those two "friends" after that but continued drinking.

I Went back to school and graduated with honors. When not in school I was drinking at parties or at the bar. While in school I made lots of girl friends who were constantly reminding me I was a drunk. On one ocassion I tried to have sex sober and wasnt able to do it. I left the room with the intention of making a drink and returning drunk to have sex...but I woke up next morning to girl telling me i am a a-hole and slamming apartment door as she left. Roomates told me I left her in the room got drunk and went to a pArty with other people and later passed out on couch because she locked me out of my own room.

It wasnt long after that A friend in AA sent me a book called living sober. I read the book and the wheels in my head began to turn with ideas that I might be an alcoholic. One night I was out with friends at a birthday party at a bar and Everyone ordered a drink. I drank my smithwicks in on my a moments time and then I looked around and even after about 10minutes had passed everyone else at table still had at least half of a beer left. The waitress asked me if I wanted a refill and I suddenly felt nauseous with a realization that I am an alcoholic. I left the party and went home. That was my last drink. March 26, 2009.

The next 6months I became verry "religious" and I went to church every day and eventually gave a gold ole catholic confession to a priest. Soon after tgat I found the halls of AA once again and begsn attending meetings regularly. I got in service and became a greeter andI read sometimes at meetings. On march 27, 2010 i reached 1 year of sobriety and I spoke for the first time at my homegroup. I was 40lbs lighter and no longer smoked cigarettes. It was easier than I thought to speak and by the grace of God I have continued to attend meetings and stay sober the past 4 years. I found sober recover this summer and I try to post daily. Thank you to everyone on here and remember to take it one day at a time!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations and thanks sharing with us
Old 03-27-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Congrats and thanks for sharing your story.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Brilliant achievement, Ryno, and fantastic post too
Old 03-27-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go, ryno; job very well done.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five years sober!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Grats on 5 years
Old 03-27-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you Ryno! Five years is fabulous.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Ryno03272009, 5 years sober is so FANTASTIC, congratulations. Rootin for ya.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Excellent Ryno! You are a true INSPIRATION! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Fabulouso xxxxx
Old 03-27-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

CongratulationsI congratulate you Ryno on your five years of sobriety plus!plus!plus!

[QUOTE=Ryno03272009;4553973]Today is my 5 year anniversary. I want to share with you all some of my story... I congratulate tou Ryno on your five years of sobriety and I also congratulate you on your athletic abilities! I find that very exciting to say the least!

I am "Ryno" and I am a alcoholic. First drink at 11. Did not like taste or smell so I dumped out beer a little at a time but made it look like I was drinking. My first drunk at 12. I stole a bottle of vodka left over from a social gathering my Mom had. Drank it with a friend and blacked out and woke up next morning with vomit everywhere and I didn't remember a thing.

From then on I wasn't afraid to actually drink at high school parties even though I was still in junior high. I became a regular Black out drinker but my intentions were always to Drink to party. At parties in highschool I always tried to drink more than everyone else. I had lots of friends in college so by the age of 16 highschool parties became boring and I started partying at colleges in New England.

I graduated highschool as s athlete and went onto college to play hockey. Classes almost never happened and I got kicked off team and suspended from the college.

Things did not get any better from there. I continued to go to parties with friends and I always brought alcohol. On several occasions I did stupid things (crimes) with people who were 21 so that they would buy me booze. I began to hang out with people who did drugs because they were f*kd up on drugs and i felt at norm being drunk around them on booze. I miraculously never used drugs but It seemed I was always around them. One time the Police served a no knock search warrant on the apartment next to a drug house I was in. When we heard them kick the door down we thought they were coming for us but were relieved when they went next door. But that scare didnt stop me from coming back.

At age of 20 I went to court for a violation charge of a minor in possession. I was forced to go to My to First AA meeting. I stayed sober for 6months but then turned 21.

I began frequenting bars and driving drunk. One time a bouncer that knew me as a regular stopped me from driving home and haled me a cab. I regularly got in fights with people at parties or bars and somehow always made it home.

On one ocassion I was with "friends" in the back seat of a car when the driver and passenger began arguing over drugs. They got out of car and got into a fist fight. Cops came and driver told them I was driving. All three of us got taken to PD but I was released because when they did intox I was below legal limit. I stopped talking to those two "friends" after that but continued drinking.

I Went back to school and graduated with honors. When not in school I was drinking at parties or at the bar. While in school I made lots of girl friends who were constantly reminding me I was a drunk. On one ocassion I tried to have sex sober and wasnt able to do it. I left the room with the intention of making a drink and returning drunk to have sex...but I woke up next morning to girl telling me i am a a-hole and slamming apartment door as she left. Roomates told me I left her in the room got drunk and went to a pArty with other people and later passed out on couch because she locked me out of my own room.

It wasnt long after that A friend in AA sent me a book called living sober. I read the book and the wheels in my head began to turn with ideas that I might be an alcoholic. One night I was out with friends at a birthday party at a bar and Everyone ordered a drink. I drank my smithwicks in on my a moments time and then I looked around and even after about 10minutes had passed everyone else at table still had at least half of a beer left. The waitress asked me if I wanted a refill and I suddenly felt nauseous with a realization that I am an alcoholic. I left the party and went home. That was my last drink. March 26, 2009.

The next 6months I became verry "religious" and I went to church every day and eventually gave a gold ole catholic confession to a priest. Soon after tgat I found the halls of AA once again and begsn attending meetings regularly. I got in service and became a greeter andI read sometimes at meetings. On march 27, 2010 i reached 1 year of sobriety and I spoke for the first time at my homegroup. I was 40lbs lighter and no longer smoked cigarettes. It was easier than I thought to speak and by the grace of God I have continued to attend meetings and stay sober the past 4 years. I found sober recover this summer and I try to post daily. Thank you to everyone on here and remember to take it one day at a time!

I congratulate you Ryno on your five years of sobriety and I also congratulate you on your athletic abilities! I find that very exciting to say the least!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 years.

Fred
Old 03-27-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Ryno

D
Old 03-27-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great work Ryno. I dig your avatar man... steal your face right off your head..
Old 03-27-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story Ryno. Much Congrstulations to you on 5 years! Bobbi
Old 03-27-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, I found your post very inspiring

Congrats on five years!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great story. Congratulations and honor to have you here!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

That's great! We share same b.DAY ie mine is 27th also(19 mths) today but will be 2 yrs young in Aug! Sooo excited
Thanks for story