Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Told my story for the first time and it went better than I thought it would

Notices

Old 03-27-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Before I told my story my sponsor took me out in the hall and we said a prayer together. While how it works was being read and the traditions too I was freaking out on the inside then chair introduced me and I started talking and my hands were shaking and I was nervous but then after 1 minute I felt calmer and like a force was moving through me giving me the ability to speak. Words I thought I wouldn't say came out. Like in the beginning I said sober through the grace of god and AA. Afterwards the speaker introduced a topic people were touched by my story they said. I never thought I would have something to give back im so used to taking and it felt good to give back for a change.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So glad it went so well for you, Anoronha. Beautiful.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's awesome!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Brilliant. It is a lovely feeling xxxxx
Old 03-27-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome! And the bonus is that you didn't 'need' a drink to calm your nerves.

Keep it up!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is inspirational. I never got this far with AA...wow, you did so WELL. Congrats. I am happy for you =)
Old 03-27-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job!!
That is not easy to get in front of a room full of people and tell your story. I did it after my first year and my sponsor helped me come up with a plan to cover the bases you want to cover. I started out with the "How bad it was and covered everything I had lost in my life - virtually everything". I hated this part because I hate war stories and have left meetings where there just too much of it. But I felt it was important for the group to know where you came from. I got this part done quickly and tried to focus the rest of my story on the positive things that have happened in my life as a result of working the steps and how much better life is today - sober. I was really worried about the timing part of it but somehow I finished 5 minutes before the hour which was great for me as I thought I would burn out at 25 minutes and be staring at a blank room of people.

After going through the experience I will never do it again. I found it totally draining beforehand and when I told my story I found that I really let it loose and held nothing back. The intensity and reliving all of it was much more lasting than I thought it would be. It brought back a lot of pain that stayed with me a long time. Years later people I don't know say hello to me and will talk to me about my story and it freaks me out.

I have friends who have done their story many times and are completely comfortable with it. I'm just one that is not comfortable with doing it.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Good to hear that you battled through it
@ Dime...I prob will have same effect. Have never done my story before but the pain still lingers in my head & heart on all the destruction I caused that I think once will be enough
Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news and you had the support of your sponsor,priceless.