Notices

craving whiskey rant coming up!

Old 03-26-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

craving whiskey rant coming up!

Hi guys, really unhappy at the minute! Warning rant coming up!

A few days ago I developed a tooth abscess, painful, annoying, depressing, can't sleep, I need antibiotics....BUT....I can't take antibiotics because I have tinnitus (ringing ears) and antibiotics are ototoxic (damage the inner ear) terrified they will make my tinnitus permanently louder which to me would be a death sentence, reason I was a heavy drinker, its no joke!

So I tried using raw garlic which has made the abscess even more painful, I really have no options, I'm not going to drink but i am craving whiskey so much! To numb the pain and to sleep! I can't even take painkillers because they are ototoxic as well! So fed up!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by AlwaysSober1 View Post
Hi guys, really unhappy at the minute! Warning rant coming up!

A few days ago I developed a tooth abscess, painful, annoying, depressing, can't sleep, I need antibiotics....BUT....I can't take antibiotics because I have tinnitus (ringing ears) and antibiotics are ototoxic (damage the inner ear) terrified they will make my tinnitus permanently louder which to me would be a death sentence, reason I was a heavy drinker, its no joke!

So I tried using raw garlic which has made the abscess even more painful, I really have no options, I'm not going to drink but i am craving whiskey so much! To numb the pain and to sleep! I can't even take painkillers because they are ototoxic as well! So fed up!

Sorry to hear that mate, toothache is the worst thing isn't it? On another point I've had more trouble with my teeth since I quit drinking than ever in my life I think.. But like you so rightly point out not gonna drink over it. Hope you are feeling better soon. All the best. Stuart.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Stuart, I'm hoping it will go on its own without the need of medications, I got a 2 week wait to see the dentist, I'm seriously considering popping it with a sterile needle!

This is also my first troubles with my teeth, alcohol much have had an antibacterial effect.

I'm not going to drink over it, I so hope its better in a few days.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Thanks Stuart, I'm hoping it will go on its own without the need of medications, I got a 2 week wait to see the dentist, I'm seriously considering popping it with a sterile needle!

This is also my first troubles with my teeth, alcohol much have had an antibacterial effect.

I'm not going to drink over it, I so hope its better in a few days.
Ohh I couldn't pop it with a needle if it was me! The teeth thing is a mystery, when I first quit even brushing my teeth normally would make my gums bleed hard, the alcohol like you say must have an effect on that too, 2 weeks for a dentist is a killer though especially if you can't take antibiotics. My painkiller of choice for all those years was a cold beer but never again. Hope you feel better soon buddy. Stuart.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When all else fails, try a warm salt water rinse?
Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Nikki, I will give it a try.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds awful. Do they have emergency dentists there, abscess would certainly qualify.
Or emergency Docs, someone to drain it.
I get the whisky, I recently just got over the flu and my throat was hurting and I thought of sipping scotch.
I didn't and I am so glad I didn't....it would have made it worse in the long run.
I learnt a new word 'ototoxic', I had no idea that so many otc meds could potentially cause so much damage.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't pop anything - it just spreads the infection, solves nothing.

When I can't get into a dentist I see my Dr - I'd try that.

They'll tell you not all antibiotics are oxotoxic

D
Old 03-26-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
It sounds awful. Do they have emergency dentists there, abscess would certainly qualify.
Or emergency Docs, someone to drain it.
I get the whisky, I recently just got over the flu and my throat was hurting and I thought of sipping scotch.
I didn't and I am so glad I didn't....it would have made it worse in the long run.
I learnt a new word 'ototoxic', I had no idea that so many otc meds could potentially cause so much damage.
Thanks, I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and going to the hospital for antibiotics, even though not knowing if it will worsen my tinnitus is terrifying!

I think taking meds that claim to be ototoxic are fine for people with no hearing issues, but I have read a lot of stories of peoples tinnitus getting a lot worse from antibiotics, painkillers etc, worse as in going from mild (only hearing the ringing in a quiet room) to severe (where you can't even hear conversations because of the screaming in your ears!)

But I might be taking bigger risks letting it fester, causing complications.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Don't pop anything - it just spreads the infection, solves nothing.

When I can't get into a dentist I see my Dr - I'd try that.

They'll tell you not all antibiotics are oxotoxic

D
Thanks dee, I heard a few people taking some types with no tinnitus effects, low ototoxicity, but the uncertainty is terrifying! I will go to the doctors anyway.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks dee, I heard a few people taking some types with no tinnitus effects, low ototoxicity, but the uncertainty is terrifying! I will go to the doctors anyway.
Glad you're heading to the doctors.

I've been using heavy warm salt water for a wicked sore throat the last couple days. With what you're dealing with; a trip to the doc asap
....the sooner the better.

Good job not drinking !
Old 03-26-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
My wagon's in the mud.

Try swallowing the whole garlic segment peeled, a few at a time - even works on dogs.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluncain View Post
Try swallowing the whole garlic segment peeled, a few at a time - even works on dogs.
Thanks, the past few days I cut the garlic up then put it on the abscess for 5 minutes, burned like crazy, then swallowed the garlic, done this a few times but its not working....might need antibiotics.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

An abcess is an emergency. Get in to see the dentist asap or see a doctor who can drain it. They can give you an antibiotic rinse to use after they lance it and see if that helps the infection. Rinsing with warm salt water is good and so is a peroxide/water solution.

I work at a dental office and have also had horrible tooth problems in the past. It's not going to go away on its own. Seek medical attention as soon as you can.

Good luck. xo
Old 03-26-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have tinnitus and I believe it is mostly caused by exposure to excessively loud noise such as live music, power tools, guns, and also by substances like drinking. I know alcohol really made it worse. If it were me I would definitely take an anti-biotic. Drinking will solve nothing it wont help the infection and it will also make the tinnitus worse. Really just stop obsessing and just go to the hospital if its that bad. I also find that tinnitus is also made worse by obsessing. The best thing you can do is stay away from alcohol and loud noise, and find meditation techniques to help relax you when it is quite time.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
An abcess is an emergency. Get in to see the dentist asap or see a doctor who can drain it. They can give you an antibiotic rinse to use after they lance it and see if that helps the infection. Rinsing with warm salt water is good and so is a peroxide/water solution.

I work at a dental office and have also had horrible tooth problems in the past. It's not going to go away on its own. Seek medical attention as soon as you can.

Good luck. xo
Hi, I just used a salt water rinse, then applied garlic to the abscess, it bleed a bit and is mostly flat now, would it be dangerous to use this method for a few days? I've heard about abscesses turning septic and that scares me!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is draining which is good, but you need to see a dentist or a doctor for some kind of antibiotic treatment. I don't think garlic is going to cut it. If your cheek or face is swollen that is a bad sign.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Rar

I had a tooth abscess years ago while visiting a friend. It was almost the middle of the night and I went to the ER. The hospital was a large hospital in Buffalo, NY, so they had a dental person there. They lanced the abscess, gave me antibiotics and told me to see a dentist in the morning. Ultimately I needed a root canal, but at least the pain was lessened. I feel for you. In my opinion, thereis NO pain worse than toothache pain.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Did you end up seeing a dentist or doctor? I hope you're feeling better.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
Did you end up seeing a dentist or doctor? I hope you're feeling better.
Hi readerbaby71, I tried to forward the dentist appointment sooner, but they they couldn't see me sooner, I will have to wait.

I have been putting garlic on the abscess, also eating a few cloves aday, they say its a natural antibiotic, it has changed appearance, sort of blistery looking now, might have been caused be the garlic I'm not sure.

Its uncomfortable, painful but no where near the norm for abscesses, I've read some people can't even open theirs mouths its that painful! I'm more worried about the infection getting worse, possible complications, hopefully the antibacterial actions of the garlic are helping keep the infection at bay.

Hopefully when I'm seen in 2 weeks time I won't need root canal or the tooth pulled out, just have it drained and that's it. I really just want to pop it with a sterile needle, but I don't know if its safe doing that? Just have to tough it out for awhile.

Thanks for your help.