Notices

Day 5 and having odd withdrawal symptoms :/

Old 03-25-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 and having odd withdrawal symptoms :/

Hey guys, just joined the forum and looking to stay. I'm a 28 year old guy. I have always enjoyed a couple glasses of wine in the evenings, perhaps more at times, and was on the high end of 'moderate' for a good stretch. About three months ago, I lost my uncle due to cancer and, well, went off the deep end. I turned into a ridiculously heavy drinker, and self-medicated to an extreme, getting drunk every night. Then, I started to feel myself falling apart, I lost my fiancee, and finally said 'enough'. The first two days of withdrawal were pure hell. Shaking, auditory hallucinations, feeling so loop that I cannot even think...it was insane. Stuck to lots of water and healthy, clean food. Could not even exercise, just spent the entire time bedridden, unable to function..

Day 3 was when the weirdness began. I began to feel weird, 'burning' sensations (almost pins and needles) on my feed and hands, and they would get all clammy whenever I would do anything that I usually did while drinking. Pizza, smoking, playing games...it's super weird. But then, whenever I was out or doing anything fun or exercising, they'd be gone...

Day 4 was more of the same, but better by a bit.

Today has been small pangs of them here and there. I get slight itches as well, and I can feel the 'craving' aspect of the alcoholism creeping in.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this in the realm of detox/withdrawal. Much appreciated, and thank you

Look forward to chatting with all of you lovely, sober people!
Old 03-25-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, and welcome to SR. I can't really help a lot because I did not have any of that. If you are worried you should see a DR. I heard that is the safe way to detox. I just quit like you did, and I am okay now, over eight months. I was lucky. I could have really hurt myself. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Congrats on quitting. Hope to see you often on the boards.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Greetings,

Sounds like you were in acute alcohol withdrawal for the first couple days. It is normal to go through those feelings, but it's not the safest thing to do. But, I think you are in the post acute phase now, it will get better. I have done what you did twice, second time not nearly as bad. First time I thought I was going to die, I was a really heavy drinker for many years the first time. I had to take off work for 6 weeks in order to be able to function. Just take it slow, stay home and rest. PLus, exercise if you can. That really seems to help people the most .....

Mostly, just hang in there. Being clean from alcohol feels great, you will just have to work through this tough time, you know?

Take Care ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Old 03-25-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please, if you ever need to detox again get some medical supervision. It sounds like you may have made it past the worst danger but you really could have gotten permanent damage.

That said, congratulations on your decision to get sober and for making it five days. It gets better the farther you go, just don't give in for those first couple months.