Notices

When does it start getting easier?

Old 03-22-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When does it start getting easier?

I'm a month or so now free but I am still moping about it, I still miss and want drink, I can't help but feel deprived, life just seems a bit joyless without it, every day is just the same. Going back is not an option because of the anxiety and depression it was causing me but still I want it. I gave up cigarettes 6 months ago now and have to say that was easier than this. Its now Saturday evening, my main night for drinking and the cravings are at their peak.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's not unusual. You're mourning your drinking self. I did it, too
What works for me is to always be conscious of the day after and the anxiety and depression alcohol gave you. I never want to go back to that.

And, I can tell you, it does get better. Life will seem like living again. Maybe it would help if you changed your routine to shake things up a little.
There's a lot to do now that you're sober. It's been over three years sober for me.
It's 30 degrees out and I just went and filled my bike tires, which had lost air over the winter, and I enjoyed it. It's the simple things.

My best to you and congratulations on that month. Keep it up, wait for the miracle.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The depression was troublesome at the lower levels I drank the last time
Old 03-22-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me about 7 months, hang in there it does get better.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes it takes about 6-7 months to really feel good but you will notice a big difference between now and say 3 month mark as well.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ghostlight I liked that part about the simple things. That's true for me,Im early in my sobriety but simple things like jobs round the house, shopping etc are more enjoyable. I feel somehow that the inner burden is easing. As though I can achieve a lot more with less effort.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Try practicing gratitude on a regular basis. It helps me to put things in perspective and gives me a more positive spin on my life. Give it a try.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Falko I felt that way for about 3 months. We go through many phases as we heal. I was very resentful & sorry for myself for awhile in the beginning - but everything got better.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I drank, every day was just the same too. I can't honestly say it was really fun the last few years. Just stuck in the claws of alcohol.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank for years...I missed it for a while.

It was three months before I realised I was still doing what I'd normally do when drinking - not much of anything.

If you're sat at home watching TV maybe you need to do more than that - there must be hobbies or interests you have Falko- things you'd like to do? anything that doesn't involve drinking?

D
Old 03-22-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thats how it was for me too.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by falko89 View Post
I'm a month or so now free but I am still moping about it, I still miss and want drink, I can't help but feel deprived, life just seems a bit joyless without it, every day is just the same. Going back is not an option because of the anxiety and depression it was causing me but still I want it. I gave up cigarettes 6 months ago now and have to say that was easier than this. Its now Saturday evening, my main night for drinking and the cravings are at their peak.
Hi,

First of all well done for a month sober, that is a bigger achievement than most people think simply because it is by far the single hardest 4 weeks you are likely to experience, it is all in the mind, whether it is Monday afternoon or Saturday night it is just a clock and the time will pass regardless. Well done again my friend.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with some others that a change of scenery/habit might be best. I experienced the same feelings. I was full of remorse about quitting alcohol in the beginning, because I was sitting in the same spot on the couch doing the same things...only minus the drink.

A lot of us found that quitting alcohol was just the first step in some major life changes. It's not just about putting down the drink, it's about kicking into gear in some other areas.

At some point as well, you might want to try to mentally "bury" the alcohol. Let it go, instead of wishing for it to come back. That might be for later down the road. In the meantime, some fun distractions and new activities might be just the thing for you!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Falko

For me it was about 4 months before I felt reasonably good. Somewhere between 9-12 months I really started to enjoy and love sobriety.

Some people seem to feel much more positive a lot faster. Some of us seem to be rather slower it seems.

Hang in there!

Michael
Old 03-23-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eurika View Post
Ghostlight I liked that part about the simple things. That's true for me,Im early in my sobriety but simple things like jobs round the house, shopping etc are more enjoyable. I feel somehow that the inner burden is easing. As though I can achieve a lot more with less effort.
I also liked what Dee said. Yep, I fond I'm just doing the same things lately. My heavy drinking started in the fall and I went into - work - drink - work - drink - day off,drink all day and do nothing.

One thing I discovered that when I do leave the house for other than going to a meeting I find myself wanting to stay out. If I went shopping I'd get what I needed and spend hours just walking around looking at things I don't need. But I stay out for hours just to not be at home - I did 99% of my drinking at home. I would drive an extra ten miles aimlessly just to be 'out'. I finally moved a couple shelving units in the house yesterday. Believe me it was a big accomplishment considering they were sitting in the upstairs hall for months just waiting to take themselves into the basement.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What Dee said is extremely true in my case. Sitting around not doing much used to be my MO because I was drunk all the time. Sober,what a drag.

I have embraced a more active life and more interests again. It has been lifestyle changes that have kept my mind and body occupied, and away from the idea that life is boring now, without alcohol.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

"When does it start getting easier?"

Well it all depends. It might never get easier, or, it might get easier tomorrow. Depends on how hard you are working to get well everyday. See some people never get healthy, they are just a dry drunk. They put down the bottle or drug, but change nothing else. Almost just wanna put a bottle in front of them, make em smile, or laugh.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

I heard a person in AA once say he was on the phone with his sponsor saying similar things that Falko88 is experiencing right now and you know what his sponsor said? "PICK UP THE PACK! Have a smoke."

I am not suggesting you smoke cigarettes again but if your cravings are at their peak and you need something a smoke may not be healthy for you but in the morning at least you wont have a hangover snd/or have to deal with what you did the night before.

But really the best suggestion I have for you is to go to AA meetings and get involved! You will meet so many people there young and old that are sober and have experienced or are experiencing the same thoughts as you. Not only that but if you are around sober people your mind will be occupied and so will you.

Keep up the healthy living and do whats necessary to stay sober.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think there are healthier ways to deal with cravings than smoking

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I get all down sometimes as well, but it is better than pooping my paints in jail like the days of old.