Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What do you say when people ask why you aren't drinking?

Notices

What do you say when people ask why you aren't drinking?

Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Funny - I had a dream last night that I was flying and my friend asked me if I wanted to drink.

I replied "No thanks. I don't drink"

Can't even violate my sobriety in my subconscious.

My advice - say whatever you want to say. If you feel like talking about it, great. If not, that's great too. Often depends on the company I am keeping at the moment. Truth be told, most people don't really care one way or another. Unless, of course, it evokes an emotional response in them. To which I would question their need for my approval.

OR lack thereof...
Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I had a dream the other night that I smoked and drank.,.it was so real I couldn't believe it...I woke up thinking it really happened
Old 03-21-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I always remember from what Ive learned
in recovery over the years is about being
honest and not to lie. If I was to tell a lie,
my conscience would bother me, Id feel
guilty for tellin that lie, and remorse would
set in wishing I had not lied, because that
is not keeping with a purpose of staying sober,
happy and honest.

To tell a lie by me would mean I'd have to
apologize to that person for not being truthful
from the beginning. And I hate or do not like
confrontations. So, I make sure that I have a
plan in mind incase someone does ask me
why I don't drink.

If I am on medication, then that is a good
reason to not mix alcohol with drugs. If,
I have children and im driving, then I will
not be drinking and driving. If you have a
meeting to go to or a Dr. appointment,
or you are playing golf, , whatever I
have planned for the day or not, without
going into detail, I just simply state I am
driving with kids or whatever it is saying
it as honestly as I can.

For me, I live a quiet life with just my
husband and we do just about everything
together, so we don't ever have that question
asked to us. We just don't place ourselves
in sticky situations where alcohol or drugs
is flowing.

That's just me and us in recovery.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
LDT

I give one of two responses 1. "No thank you", or 2.) " I don't drink." In earlier sobriety I was known to say " because I got full." Seriously, the only people that would push it are those that are having a problem with it themselves ( IMHO ). But like some of the other posters here, I avoided parties in early sobriety. Longer sobriety revealed to me that not nearly as many people drink as I thought did.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

If you are ever pushed beyond the first question, I find a "why do you ask?" turns things back on them and is really a very nice and polite version of "this is a nosy question".
Old 03-21-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Today it is common for people to be on all sorts of health kicks. Cutting alcohol out of your life isn't odd, especially if youre on a health kick
Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I never had anyone say much about it .

Most people don't notice .

I have gone periods of 5 or more years without drinking .
Old 03-21-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I also was really concerned about this question for the first 6 months. After that two things happened: (1) People who I saw regularly put me in the "non drinker" category and moved on. (2) I realized that people I'm just meeting aren't paying that close attention when I order a soft drink instead of alcohol. No one is really that interested.

Here are the questions I get 99% and my suggested answers:

1. Would you like something to drink? Yes, a Diet Coke please.

2. Can I get you a glass of wine? No thanks, water or Diet Coke is fine.

Really, once those close to you get it, no one else is going to phrase the question this way : "How come you're not drinking alcohol?" If they did, I imagine myself saying "I don't drink." and moving on.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I was just talking with a group of ladies about "cleansing" your body for 3 days by drinking fruit juice only. I said I haven't had a drink in 6 1/2 weeks, I'm clean enough. One lady said, "Pam how do you resist? I need to quit I'm not an alcoholic or anything but I'm not NOT one either........"

say what..................................
Old 03-21-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

"Explosive Diarrhea"
Old 03-21-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunrise1 View Post
If you are ever pushed beyond the first question, I find a "why do you ask?" turns things back on them and is really a very nice and polite version of "this is a nosy question".
oooh.... good one!

Fortunately I haven't ever been grilled on it, but the few times I've been asked I just replied "I'm trying to cut back." But I only say this cause its with friends who know I used to drink.

As far as I can tell "I don't drink" is the best answer. In fact, now that I'm paying attention to it, most of the people I know who verbally say "I don't drink" never had a problem with it in the first place, they just want to be healthier and no one ever suspects otherwise. I'm guessing we'd just blend in with these people.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

I guess I'm a bit different, always have been an outspoken kind of guy, but when I get asked why I don't drink anymore, I just say that I had to shut it down, I don't like things that take control of me, and that is that....
Old 03-21-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

If someone asks, I just say, "I find I feel better when I don't drink." This also happens to be true. For most everybody.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sometimes we can build it up into an issue, when in reality the person asking is just curious and after being given an answer doesnt give it a second thought.

In the early days i would psyche myself up waiting for someone to ask, inevitibly someone always did and I would fluff my way through it, now I just tell them I dont drink, on the odd occasion I have been pushed for more details I tend to say I used to drink quite heavily and now feel better not drinking, most people respect you for it. In the early days I just used to say im taking a break for a while, as in reality I didnt know whether I was going to go back to drinking.

Its never an issue unless I choose to make it one in my head.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I was faced with this question for the first time shortly after starting a new job five months ago from my new colleague. I had to fend off my nervousness when I could detect his curiosity peaking during a friendly conversation relating to the topic of nightlife in other cultures. My new job was a huge turn in my life and while being extremely careful not disclosing that part of my background, I managed to steer clear of the subject in a graceful and friendly enough manner while keeping the chat interesting.

The topic of beer, wine, etc. surfaced again last Friday and eventually he asked when I quit drinking. I mentioned the length of time - but with no precise details. He's turned out to be an affable person who's not only smart enough to put the pieces together and probably get the idea, but also trustworthy and respectful enough to leave the subject alone.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Just that it's a lifestyle choice I made, to get healthy. I might mention that I'm trying to lose weight. All of this is true, albeit not the full truth.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Quite frankly I've never been asked. I was afraid I would be at first, but then I realized that it was really just me being obsessed with my lack of drinking vs anyone else caring. People really don't care in the least for the most part.

If you truly do have friends that "grill you" on why you arent' drinking you honestly might want to find some different ones. They have no place in the life of a sober person.
This ^^^^^^^

It's amazing how little most people drink. I still can't get my head around it.

I go to restaurants, even bars occasionally, and NEVER see people imbibing like I did.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

No one has really asked with real interest why I'm not drinking. If people have asked I think it's more just making chit chat and trying to connect rather than any specific interest in the content of my glass.

I just say I don't feel like it or I avoid it because it gives me headaches. Both of which are true.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Doublebarrel - I was the same! I was amazed to see people in bars and functions not drinking, or sitting on the one glass all night.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Sick of being on paper!