Notices

Startin over, picking up the pieces

Old 03-20-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Startin over, picking up the pieces

My addiction has brought me to this point in my life where all I can do is try and make the best of the situation I am now in and pick up the pieces. The booze has taken such a huge toll on my life. But I know if I continue to drink there will be no pieces left to pick up. I have a chance to redeem my life and this could be my last chance. I dont want to blow it, I am really going to give it my all this time!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it
Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Welcome!

Are you still drinking? If not, how long have you been sober?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eurika View Post
My addiction has brought me to this point in my life where all I can do is try and make the best of the situation I am now in and pick up the pieces. The booze has taken such a huge toll on my life. But I know if I continue to drink there will be no pieces left to pick up. I have a chance to redeem my life and this could be my last chance. I dont want to blow it, I am really going to give it my all this time!
What is your game plan?
What are you going to do?
What are you willing to do?

We can have all the greatest of intentions in the world.
But if we do nothing about it. Nothing happens.
Good luck in your "plans"
Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol Abistence- 03-18-2014

Hey Eurika, just hang in there. I agree about those pieces, I unfortunately got to my own 'rock bottom' before figuring out it was my own doing and drinking that caused it. Hang in there though! One day at a time, one hour if need be. When you wake up, if it helps, just tell yourself "I've already gone x hours without a drink, what's one more?" Then turn that into a half day, a full day, and soon you'll be celebrating a week, a year, then a decade.

It won't be easy, as I'm sure all of us know. The temptation will be there when hanging out, or with old routines where you might have had a drink to start the night. Just trade that off with a water, or milk, or juice, or whatever you enjoy besides alcohol. Just remember why you want to stay clean, and use that as a mantra when the urges get tough.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
What is your game plan?
What are you going to do?
What are you willing to do?

We can have all the greatest of intentions in the world.
But if we do nothing about it. Nothing happens.
Good luck in your "plans"
I do have a plan, to stop drinking firstly, which I have done. (Now entering day 3). I spent the first day making enquiries to join a group and have been lucky enough to find a mentor.
I am going to focus my mind on positive things and stay around optomistic cheerful people in a sober non drinking environment. I am also going to get myself more active and start work again.
I am willing to do what it takes to stay sober and help other people along the way who are also trying to rid themselves of the addiction and improve their lives in any small way I can, as I know by helping others I am helping myself.
No right minded person can expect any positive change in their life without making the effort and doing the work. Of that I am very well aware.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement Tetra! Best wishes!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

nice work!!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Nate, thanks for your message. I have quit before cold turkey a few times but never gone more than a couple of months. It always seems the initial improvements in health, mood, energy, appetite and general well being etc get followed by a kind of depression and sadness. Im sure thats the underlying issue that drives so many like me back to the bottle. I plan to try and address this after a few weeks of sobriety whether by meds or counselling or whatever. I have always been dogged by irrational fears, anxieties etc. Drinking ,I know just masks the problem with an even bigger and deadlier one. Good luck to you!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi eurika,
Now that you've found it :-) use the forum to help you through the dark days.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey Eureka Well done for giving up. And well done for recognising that you can only start from where you are. I had similar problems several weeks and months in. I was disappointed that I wasn't filed with energy and vigour. And I even put on weight (not quite sure how, I guess I must have been eating even more cake than I used to drink beer!). But perhaps having had that experience gives you some more insight in how your own body recovers, you'll know to be patient and gentle with yourself at those times. I think a problem we face is that other people expect us to be full of energy by a few weeks or months after stopping drinking. But many of us still need to be gentle and patient with ourselves. Take your time. Be kind to yourself. And be especially gentle and patient with yourself. And well done for giving up again!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stopping the drink is the easy part. The work involved to stay stopped is the hard part.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Like Matt4x4 says, staying stopped is the real trick.

I'd suggest making it a priority to find some people to help you stay stopped - close friends, AA meetings, a doctor you feel you can trust, something.

It can be hard to admit that you need help from others, but once you do you'll be surprised at the level of support and compassion that people are willing to offer you.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes I agree, I have made steps to get help. Its a challenge as where I live there is not much support in English but I have found some help here already and will continue from there.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
him

Hang in there Eurika...
Old 03-21-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome eurika. I'm so glad you've decided to reclaim you life. You have a good attitude.

I was feeling exactly the same way at the end of my drinking career. I'd been trying to control it for decades & was completely dependent on it when I came to SR. The support & encouragement I found here helped me find the courage to stop destroying myself. You can do this - you can get free.