Notices

Coming up on 100 days

Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming up on 100 days

The calendar tells me that it will be 100 days this Saturday since my last (hopefully ever) slip. The people of this forum have been there for me on several occasions where I really needed to work things through with folks who understand "The Problem" and I think I owe you all quite the debt.

This time last year, I was in the process of getting myself fired from a high-profile position, I was jeopardizing my relationship with my now-wife, and was just generally being miserable. Now, I find myself at a new, better job, on track for a promotion, and taking part in hobbies that had slid by the wayside when my weekends were spent hungover or drunk.

I realize 100 days is not much. I had a few big chunks of sobriety last year punctuated with a few rather spectacular relapses and even that was a huge improvement. My life has improved immeasurably since I've started to address my drinking and this forum, a number of AA meetings and some support from my doctor have all been incredibly helpful.

So, thanks!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 100 days sober! That's terrific!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats NWD

D
Old 03-21-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by newwestdork View Post
The calendar tells me that it will be 100 days this Saturday since my last (hopefully ever) slip. The people of this forum have been there for me on several occasions where I really needed to work things through with folks who understand "The Problem" and I think I owe you all quite the debt.

This time last year, I was in the process of getting myself fired from a high-profile position, I was jeopardizing my relationship with my now-wife, and was just generally being miserable. Now, I find myself at a new, better job, on track for a promotion, and taking part in hobbies that had slid by the wayside when my weekends were spent hungover or drunk.

I realize 100 days is not much. I had a few big chunks of sobriety last year punctuated with a few rather spectacular relapses and even that was a huge improvement. My life has improved immeasurably since I've started to address my drinking and this forum, a number of AA meetings and some support from my doctor have all been incredibly helpful.

So, thanks!
Well done 100 days is a fantastic landmark for any of us, I am just a week or so behind you so can I ask how you feel day to day? Any tiredness, aches etc?

Again congrats on a fantastic achievement.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stoogy View Post
Well done 100 days is a fantastic landmark for any of us, I am just a week or so behind you so can I ask how you feel day to day? Any tiredness, aches etc?

Again congrats on a fantastic achievement.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear you're right behind me, it's quite the positive change to make.

I'm feeling good right now, actually. The relapse I had 99 days ago was a single night and I'd been working on sobriety since the early summer at that point, so most of the physical symptoms had left me by then. Early on - the first time I hit 100 days - I had a lot of sweating and a few aches, but for me the killer was the constant anxiety. The anxiety has been fading into the background, and I have the time and energy now to do things like fishing which really helps me calm down.

At that point I was still really resenting not being able to drink, and it took me quite a while to move past the idea of drinking as some sort of thing that I was 'being deprived' of and onto the point of view that I had better things to do with my life than getting ********* constantly.

Those first few months I found to be really tough but if you can stick it out, it starts getting a lot easier as time passes.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats on 100 days! The good news is it just keeps gettin' better and better
Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by newwestdork View Post
Thanks! I'm glad to hear you're right behind me, it's quite the positive change to make.

I'm feeling good right now, actually. The relapse I had 99 days ago was a single night and I'd been working on sobriety since the early summer at that point, so most of the physical symptoms had left me by then. Early on - the first time I hit 100 days - I had a lot of sweating and a few aches, but for me the killer was the constant anxiety. The anxiety has been fading into the background, and I have the time and energy now to do things like fishing which really helps me calm down.

At that point I was still really resenting not being able to drink, and it took me quite a while to move past the idea of drinking as some sort of thing that I was 'being deprived' of and onto the point of view that I had better things to do with my life than getting ********* constantly.

Those first few months I found to be really tough but if you can stick it out, it starts getting a lot easier as time passes.

Thanks for the insight of your experiences to date, it really helps me too. The worst thing now is indeed the anxiety, constant worry over health issues etc "the mind is racing while the body is 2 Laps behind"
All the best guys
Old 03-21-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
him

congrats!!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

100 days is wonderful - we commend you NWD!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very nice newwest. It sounds like you're enjoying your new sober life, and reaping the benefits of sobriety.