Notices

What does it mean to be a “good” sponsor?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What does it mean to be a “good” sponsor?

here's an article I find helpful....

https://www.nacr.org/wordpress/68/th...ond-the-basics

by Margaret Bullitt-Jonas

Ask people with a long stretch of recovery what contributes to their capacity to live without relapse, and it’s likely that many of them will mention sponsoring and being sponsored. The tool of sponsorship is one of the great gifts of the Twelve Step program, bearing an extraordinary power to turn a person’s life around. Just about anyone in recovery can tell a story or two about a breakthrough conversation with a sponsor and about the difference it made to receive the personal support of a fellow sufferer, to be given a timely word of wisdom or insight, and to be listened to with respect. Serving as a sponsor can likewise strengthen our recovery as we experience the joy of passing on what we have received and of watching our sponsees grow.

At the same time, I expect that many of us could also tell stories about times when the sponsoring relationship broke down–times, for instance, when we experienced our sponsor as being rigid or judgmental, or when our own distractions and preoccupations interfered with our ability to listen with full attention to someone we were sponsoring. Sponsorship may be a powerful tool, but it’s one we don’t always wield wisely.

What does it mean to be a “good” sponsor? What helps and what harms the sponsoring relationship? What difficulties do we experience as sponsors and sponsees? How can we work through our difficulties and use them as opportunities to grow? What skills might help us to become more effective sponsors? These are some of the questions I began asking myself almost 25 years ago, when I first began exploring the give-and-take of sponsoring and being sponsored in the Twelve Step program. I quickly discovered that sponsorship must be practiced more as an art than a science. There is no single “best” way to sponsor, no cookie-cutter formula for how to sponsor well. What’s more, people need different things in a sponsor, depending on where they are in their own journey of recovery. Given all this, it’s not surprising that being a good sponsor takes imagination, creativity, flexibility, a willingness to risk and to make mistakes, and a desire to learn.

Some Twelve Step members exercise a model of sponsorship that sets up a fairly rigid, strict, and authoritarian relationship between sponsor and sponsee, in which a “good” sponsor lays down the rules and a “good” sponsee reacts with unquestioning obedience. My own approach to sponsorship assumes a more egalitarian relationship, one that seeks to function as collaboration or alliance rather than as domination. I like a dynamic, developmental model of sponsorship, one that may in some cases begin in a comparatively authoritarian way but that always seeks to strengthen the sponsees’ healthy autonomy and their capacity to trust themselves. I value doing what we can to establish and maintain a relationship between sponsor and sponsee that is flexible–changing over time and adapting to the sponsee’s emerging freedom. As sponsors, we try to help our sponsees move beyond isolation (what the Big Book calls “self-will run riot”) and also beyond clingy over-dependence and subservience. We want to support our sponsees in their quest, with God’s help, to discover and to follow their own inner wisdom as they learn, one day at a time, to live without their drug.

Ask clarifying questions

Questions of clarification signal that you are still listening, that your attention continues to be focused on the sponsee, that you want to understand what he or she is saying, and that you care. Asking a clarifying question is not the same as prying. Offering a paraphrase (“What I hear you saying is…”) is another good way of staying connected with your sponsee, inviting him or her to correct our possible misinterpretation. Remarks such as “Tell me about it” or “Would you like to say more about that?” are a refreshing change from what people often give each other: criticism, advice, moral lessons, or interpretation.
Of course, there are moments when offering our sponsee some advice and guidance is just what is needed, but taking time to ask clarifying questions first, or to paraphrase what we hear, helps to ensure that our advice is sound. What’s more, pausing to ask some questions and to listen to the answers can cut through a habit common to many of us: eagerly jumping in to judge, rescue, fix, solve, or otherwise try to control our sponsees’ lives. Asking clarifying questions can help to keep the locus of change where it belongs: in the sponsee’s hands, not ours.

Listen for feelings

Many addicts at the beginning of recovery are quite cut off from their feelings. They may feel chronically angry, depressed, spacey or numb. When they put down their drug, a day at a time, all sorts of long-suppressed feelings can come roaring back to the surface. This is not comfortable. Some sponsees handle it by talking and talking very fast, as if a rush of words could control the feelings and keep them at bay. As sponsors, we want to give permission for feelings to be felt. Whatever the sponsee is feeling is OK. Of course, taking destructive action on a feeling is not OK, but we want to give our sponsees the freedom to feel what they feel. Asking questions such as “What are you feeling right now?,” “When did you start to feel that way?,” “How do you feel now as you say that?,” or “Where in your body do you feel it?” can support our sponsees to be more comfortable with their felt experience.
I cringe when I hear people say at a meeting that their sponsor told them to “get off the pity-pot.” Obsessive self-pity is one thing, but maybe the sponsee simply needed to grieve. What the sponsor dismissed as “self-pity” may in fact be genuine sorrow. Being sad is fine. Being angry is fine. It is normal to have feelings. If we sponsors are not comfortable with our own strong feelings, we may well become anxious when our sponsees feel something, and do our best to shut them down. Sensing our discomfort, our sponsees may in turn begin censoring how much they tell us, for fear of “being a burden.” This is not helpful.
I must also acknowledge that some recovering addicts do get stuck in particular emotional patterns, such as endlessly ranting or complaining. Our job as sponsors is not to be a therapist but to listen with patience and, if possible, with empathy, and to suggest how our sponsees can best work the program in the given situation (for example, is it time for them to work a particular Step? to make a gratitude list? to take a moral inventory? to pray for guidance? to offer service?). We can also suggest professional therapeutic help.

(for the rest of the article, click the link)

https://www.nacr.org/wordpress/68/th...ond-the-basics
Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interestingly, I heard this at the AA meeting today, and this one lady said, "when a sponsor tells you to stand on your head, you should do it".

She was basically telling newcomers to stop questioning their sponsors and the program, and do what they are told, because 'obviously' their way did not work.

food for thought...
Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not food for thought at all!

I can't be bothered to but why don't you google the AA criteria for sponsorship, it will answer your questions:-)
Old 03-20-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

actuallly already read it,
http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf
Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

From AAnoob reference.

The process of matching newcomer and sponsor
is as informal as everything else in A.A. Often,
the new person simply approaches a more experienced
member who seems compatible, and asks
that member to be a sponsor. Most A.A.s are
happy and grateful to receive such a request.
An old A.A. saying suggests, “Stick with
the winners.” It’s only reasonable to seek a
sharing of experience with a member who seems
to be using the A.A. program successfully in
everyday life. There are no specific rules, but a
good sponsor probably should be a year or more
away from the last drink — and should seem to be
enjoying sobriety.

BE WELL
Old 03-20-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

No it is not food for thought at all.

The AA approved literature will answer any questions you have.

This forum is about Alcoholism not about AA.There is an Alcoholism 12 step support forum,any questions you have will be answered there.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
No it is not food for thought at all.

This forum is about Alcoholism not about AA.There is an Alcoholism 12 step support forum,any questions you have will be answered there.
You MAY be correct but I hesitate to have someone at the end of a wire dictate what is right or wrong especially when it can help someone. Isn't that the reason for these forums.
By the way I can think of only one organization that has helped more alcoholics than probably all others combined.

BE WELL
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Another thread on sponsorship, Noob?!

Personally, I think you are presenting as one with an agenda since you keep bringing the topic up...

What do you think?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by AAnoob View Post
Interestingly, I heard this at the AA meeting today, and this one lady said, "when a sponsor tells you to stand on your head, you should do it".

She was basically telling newcomers to stop questioning their sponsors and the program, and do what they are told, because 'obviously' their way did not work.

food for thought...

Do you seriously think newcomers are this dumb to not see she is dead wrong? In fact, any new comers who do believe such dumbness are in trouble in more ways then just alcoholism. You know, there is no remedy for stupid. Life happens.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post

Personally, I think you are presenting as one with an agenda since you keep bringing the topic up...
I thought I was the only one, Robby. Combined with the OP's comments on his other AA thread, it seems he's managed to smuggle in ongoing criticism of AA under the guise of a desire to learn other people's opinions, a common tactic in the service of deflecting criticism.

The typical response to such criticism is along the lines of, "See? I told you that you can't speak openly about AA (or whatever the relevant issue is) without people getting defensive!"

I'm certain that had I chosen to concentrate on other people's behaviors in AA and then go about criticizing them in a safe place to do so, I'd still be drinking.

Frankly, I've read enough. Lots of goofy folks in AA, just like everywhere else, and lots of goofy behaviors. For many of us who achieved sobriety in AA, all of that craziness becomes just so much noise in the system and an occasional minor annoyance when the focus turns to getting sober.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What do you think?

Just sharing an insightful article that might be helpful to other AA newcomers.

Seems like you have an agenda to defend AA in every possible way (often in a twisted fashion) as shown by your bizzare response to the article in my 'dogma' thread.

My other thread on 'picking out a sponsor' was in the 'newcomers' section,
which does not allow any form of criticism of recovery method.
"Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed"

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-sponsor.html
Old 03-21-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do you seriously think newcomers are this dumb to not see she is dead wrong? In fact, any new comers who do believe such dumbness are in trouble in more ways then just alcoholism. You know, there is no remedy for stupid. Life happens.
I find her views common in AA.

In fact, another lady said a similar thing at tonight's meeting, that she should just listen to her sponsor, do what she says, and stop question her.
(she had 8 years of on and off)

I like both of these ladies actually. They seem to be honest in what they felt was the right way to approach the sponsor/sponsee relationship. And I respect what they have to say.

If you think they are just dumb,
well, .....

anyways, feel like I am talking to a wall....
Old 03-21-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post

somehow, I don't buy that.

AA approved literature are approved by AA believers.
It shows an obvious bias.

BTW, my Christian friends also tell me that the Bible will answer any questions I have about life.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cool

...AA approved literature are approved by AA believers. It shows an obvious bias.
This statement shows me that you don't understand the term 'AA approved Literature.' Just a wee FYI......AA neither approves nor disapproves any literature.

The term 'AA approved literature' only means that the specific literature is published/printed by AAWS.........thazit.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 03-21-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

AAnoob brings up a good point. I am going to work up the nerve to go just so I can't say I don't have a lesser problem with someone who is in. I have seen some things said that just drive me nuts though. Like if you see a crime committed in a meeting room you have to ask your sponsor what to do about it. Or someone with 2 years already under their belt is scolded because they don't pray right. Does anyone really have the right to interlope on that relationship?
I know I gravitate to any evidence that would support that I shouldn't go so there is that. Seriously though explain these attitudes. I have read some of the AA stickies and words do not seem to be matching up in actions.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

If you think they are just dumb,
well, .....

anyways, feel like I am talking to a wall....
Not so much am I a wall as I am more an informed listener already seasoned to your slanted offerings, Noob. As I read back on your posts, your often critical of AA methodology, AA approved literature, AA sponsorships, Old-timers, and so on... and of the opportunity for others to have supportive experiences of forums found here on SR. You made claim that such forums are not reflective of "real life" and so on. For me all this presents you as a unhappy misinformed malcontent who has plenty of opinions on other peoples opinions, including my opinions, obviously, since you tell me you feel like your talking to a wall.

You know, I want to respect your feelings about me, but I doubt your being straight with me, its more like I'm dealing with your projections, and that is my opinion of our interactions. I've also seen how you talk with others who are not in agreement with you on your opinions on other peoples opinions and other peoples experiences...

However as that may be, it is not my intention you feel like your talking to a wall when we exchange posts, Noob. I'm unsure how to remedy your experience with me, except perhaps to continue to extend my openness to your feelings about me.

As for people being dumb... and no cure for stupid...

Some people just refuse to think for themselves enough to readily take honest advantage of great opportunities laid out for them served up by nothing less than life itself. These routine refusals come at cost to the people doing the refusing because it leaves them with talking the talk but not walking the walk. They drown in ignorance and selfishness of their own making, and yet continue to point out the problems they supposedly perceive in others who offer them a helping hand in life.

None are more blind than those who refuse to see...
Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cool against my better judgement...

My sponsor is an idiot. But I love him to death. I listen. We have very different viewpoints of life and the world. My biggest hurdle with the 'program' was all this God stuff. I have adapted to the program. My sponsor has adapted to me.
He has criticized me for some things - I am always open to feedback. But has always done so in private and in a positive way. I admire this man. My reasoning for choosing this sponsor was because we were so different. I hope that means something to others reading. I needed someone who didn't think like I did. If everyone liked the color green we'd all be driving around in green cars and living in green houses. Wouldn't that suck?
The "If your sponsor tells you to stand on your head..." should be taken metaphorically. And the ask your sponsor before you take any action... I think most of us have at least a little common sense - I hope. All I know is this guy was way worse a drunk than I'll ever be. He hasn't had a drink in a long time. And he is one of the most spirited individuals I've come across in a long time.
He must be some sort of a genius.

There are no hard and fast rules. Roby Robot, maybe he thinks you're a wall because your avatar resembles a wall? Gosh, if I just looked at the pictures...
Old 03-21-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

food for thought...
"Never talk down to an alcoholic from any moral or spiritual hilltop; simply lay out the kit of spiritual tools for his inspection. Show him how they worked with you. Offer him friendship and fellowship. Tell him that if he wants to get well you will do anything to help."

Working With Others, Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 03-21-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

food for thought...
Questions are good. Skepticism is good. Sponsors answers are what they are. If a sponsor gets angry because you ask questions, or don't follow exactly what they say, there MAY be a control issue going on. Question that for sure. Personally, if I suggest something to one of my pigeons, I make sure he knows I wouldn't ask him to do anything I wouldn't, or didn't do. If he wants what I have, he'll do what I ask. If not, find another sponsor. I don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
There are no hard and fast rules. Roby Robot, maybe he thinks you're a wall because your avatar resembles a wall? Gosh, if I just looked at the pictures...
It does? Okay, I don't see that. Maybe you jest?

I think his meaning has more to do with his take on my measured responses to his comments than anything else.

My avatar for me its about living life out-of-the-box... no walls outside of the box... that sort of thing that goes with freedom of thought...