Notices

78 days sober feel down

Old 03-19-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

78 days sober feel down

Hi guys, sorry for the constant posts, rant, but as the days go on I feel like I need daily support to keep going.

1st month I felt pretty good, tired...but happy, 2nd month slowly my mood started getting lower, now only 12 days to 3 months and I feel sad, feel down..

I assure you it isn't me being inactive or anything, even doing fun activities no longer interest me. I just feel mentally fed up compared to the first month or so.

I'm proud that I have got this far but with me feeling rubbish all the time its a daily struggle.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hey AS, I'm sorry you're feeling so down. Do you think it's threatening your sobriety?
It sounds to me like depression when fun things don't interest you any more. I'm not saying it is, but maybe you could visit your doctor and tell him or her about it? I'm sure the doc will be very impressed with your progress and sobriety, and want to support you and help you get well. Doctors see so many patients with alcohol problems, they like hearing from ones who are doing something about it.
There are some websites where you can take a test to see if you're depressed, and they have lots of help in dealing with it as well. One I know about is called BeyondBlue.
Anyway, mood aside, you're coming up for 3 months which is a huge thing, so congratulate yourself.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

78 days sober is GREAT!!! How long did you drink? I'd be willing to bet you drank a lot more than 78 days. Our bodies go through a lot of changes getting back to "normal" after we stop drinking, and as much as there are similarities for all of us, we are all different, as well. Research PAWS, but if you are THAT concerned, you should see a professional.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AS1,
Feeling down huh? Today is day 81 for me. I have my ups and downs. The past couple weeks I was in a funk. Not feeling like doing ANYTHING. Today I know I have to motivate myself to get off my rear end and make some things happen. As long as I do one thing it will be a start. My plan is to start some plants that I was supposed to do ten days ago. Peppers won't grow unless they're planted...
Keep hanging in there. It will get better. Just don't dwell on it. If you just feel like sitting around it's okay. But don't just sit around and mope. Think of just one thing you'd like to accomplish or can accomplish with not so much effort. Clean out your sock drawer. Pack a bag of old clothes to give away if you have them. Anything simple is a start. Wipe the dust off the top of the TV.

You may find once to start something - anything, it will take your mind off your mind.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I haven't had a drink since new years eve, feels like I've been sober forever, in January I was exited to make the change in my life, had bad days but told myself I will feel good near 3 months sober mark....of course that hasn't happened yet. I'm worried that because it feels like I've been sober quite a bit of time I'm not going to feel good, this is the new "normal", which is a daunting feeling.

I drank for a decade, for years getting drunk 3 or 4 times a week, last 2 years I was drinking/getting drunk everyday. I just don't know when I will feel better?

I am putting my hopes in PAWS as the cause of the low mood, I got sober to feel better not worse! But I'm just taking in one day at a time.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm feeling the same way still but I think it's just our brains adjusting to this new normal...before normal was waking up feeling still drunk and groggy, going to work for a 10 hour day, stop at liquor store on way home to get my nightly 6 or 8 pack....we just have to take it day by day
Old 03-19-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Mrmellow, i actually felt fine drinking, never had hangovers etc, but i knew i was harming my health. I've got to have faith I will feel differently soon, just got to hang on.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Same here...the last few days have been rough with anxiety and brain fog....it seems like it comes in weekly cycles for me
Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by AlwaysSober1 View Post
Hi guys, sorry for the constant posts, rant, but as the days go on I feel like I need daily support to keep going.

1st month I felt pretty good, tired...but happy, 2nd month slowly my mood started getting lower, now only 12 days to 3 months and I feel sad, feel down..

I assure you it isn't me being inactive or anything, even doing fun activities no longer interest me. I just feel mentally fed up compared to the first month or so.

I'm proud that I have got this far but with me feeling rubbish all the time its a daily struggle.
Hi,
New member here although I have been reading most of the stories since the end of last year as a source of strength, you are doing great first of all remember every day that passes is another small victory but a huge step in the right direction, I am now sober since early December 2013 which is almost 4 months ish, feeling great about my decision, really do and won't go back ever to what was a shocking life of looking through the bottom of a glass and wondering when it will be refilled. Still have days and moments where I could easily curl up and sleep at certain points of the day but I am gradually feeling better drinking fresh juice and buckets of water, vitamin b is huge for energy levels. The first 6 weeks seem impossible at times but it's amazing how quick time passes when you can focus and remember the hangovers, driving in the morning and constantly worrying about having a bump as you will no doubt fail a breath test etc. timeline varies depending on how much you drink. I would drink maybe 6-7 beers a night and more at weekends so I know it is a huge culture shock to the mind and body and can effect us all in different ways, the worst for me were as follows in the first few weeks.
1- insomnia
2- lack of appetite
3- night sweats and chills
4- shakes (visible)
5- feeling exhausted 24/7

Theses all lifted after 2 weeks apart from the tiredness which still kicks me in the ass from nowhere some days but this is much better than being hungover and exhausted, headaches still come and go, maybe unrelated as I have sinus issues but worth a mention as it may be common too. Sorry about the long post but these helped me enormously in the really early days.
Good luck pholks, thinking of you.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
AS1,
Feeling down huh? Today is day 81 for me. I have my ups and downs. The past couple weeks I was in a funk. Not feeling like doing ANYTHING. Today I know I have to motivate myself to get off my rear end and make some things happen. As long as I do one thing it will be a start. My plan is to start some plants that I was supposed to do ten days ago. Peppers won't grow unless they're planted...
Keep hanging in there. It will get better. Just don't dwell on it. If you just feel like sitting around it's okay. But don't just sit around and mope. Think of just one thing you'd like to accomplish or can accomplish with not so much effort. Clean out your sock drawer. Pack a bag of old clothes to give away if you have them. Anything simple is a start. Wipe the dust off the top of the TV.

You may find once to start something - anything, it will take your mind off your mind.
Totally agree with you, it is sometimes the thought of doing something that is the hard part, once I forced myself to wash the car etc I found it actually quite easy considering my body feels like I have been hit by a bus sometimes, it makes you wonder how toxic alcohol truly is when it takes months to recover normal energy doesn't it? Sometimes hard to get through the day, but focus only on the negatives and damage being done while you down that beer, be strong time passes regardless, and remember how tough the first few weeks were and I could not go through that part again for any alcohol at all.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by AlwaysSober1 View Post

This is my 3rd ever post, just joined this great site today after months of reading, you are right on schedule by what I have read and learned with so many stories, the initial change is great although very tiring, after a couple of months the mind starts to play games and tries to convince you to drink again like something is missing, but after this period of time you no longer need it and that's most important, wanting it Is a different story, but I always thought I "needed" it, after almost 4 months I know I don't, the ties are broken but the urge is never far away. I always had a beer after a bad day at work etc truth is there is always a reason to drink whether drowning our sorrows or celebrating drink was the obvious fit for most of us. You are doing great, we all are making strides even by posting or thinking of quiting etc as once you realise you have a problem it is half the battle. All the best guys.