Notices

Dealing with evenings

Old 03-18-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with evenings

In the morning I have all motivation in the world. I wake up and do the following:

- have coffees while reading news
- work on my online business
- take shower and go to the gym
- work out
- do some grocery shopping and back home.

This part goes well and my mood is great. But from 2-3 pm I just sit around and start thinking about my life, about things missing in my life and my mood goes downhill. By the evening time, everything begin to suck so damn much that I begin thinking about beer. Some time ago I tried to limit myself by drinking 2 liters of light beer and then switch to sparkling water, but more often than not I end up in hell totally blasted by 3 a.m. So it's not an option, and my body doesn't really want that beer.

Have anyone dealt with mood decrease throughout a day, and what do you do?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can you plan things to do at night Freddie? and I don't mean going out, I mean hobbies or interests at home, or a funny movie on DVD, home improvements, little projects?

If you think this is a clinical thing, can you see your Dr?

D
Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Can you plan things to do at night Freddie? and I don't mean going out, I mean hobbies or interests at home, or a funny movie on DVD, home improvements, little projects?

If you think this is a clinical thing, can you see your Dr?

D
I have prepared lots of movies, but find to unable to concentrate on it. Every 5 minutes or so I jump off from the sofa and go to kitchen, snack, check emails, etc. I can't sit for the whole time and enjoy it or everything else. And how the Dr can help? Prescribe some tranks to slow me down, or some other mind altering pills? Don't really see the point, how it's so much better than alcohol?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well I'm not a Dr Freddie - I don't know if you have a clinical problem or not

I don't think I'm offending you if I say as a solution alcohol doesn't seem to working for you too well, tho?

D
Old 03-18-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't think I'm offending you if I say as a solution alcohol doesn't seem to working for you too well, tho?
D
No, it doesn't. Only one hour of feeling good followed by 1-2 days of being totally down and depressed.

The problem is I only feel great for about several days after a binge, then it all begins to fade. I still have to find the solution...
Old 03-18-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi Freddie.

It sounds like it might be depression. Many people feel worse upon wakening, and their mood improves throughout the day. And then at night they're okay.

Working at home is a dream job for some people, but a potential nightmare for others. I personally don't care for it, and it takes a lot of effort for me to make it work for me for the several hours each week that I do work at home. It's possible that the absence of human interaction for you over the course of the morning and early-afternoon hours affects your mood, and may be compounded by your spending hours later in the day and into the evening relatively isolated.

Antidepressants don't change who we are; they make it easier for us to just be. They stifle the brain when it's telling us we're down when we aren't, and allow us to live with relative peace of mind without the nasty consequences of drinking or other drug use.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I am working on a recovery program that stresses the importance of meditation, and I do not see any time for meditation in your schedule. I and many others that work my program find that a few minutes of meditation or prayer in the morning can set your whole day right. For example, if you prepare yourself for your day and what you will and can't accomplish, you might not find yourself at 2 pm wondering about life and is it all worth it.

It is possible for some people with certain psychiatric conditions that meditation is not a good idea...
Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you considered spending some of your afternoon doing volunteer work? It gets you out of the house and around people, the best part is that it's free As the time goes by you will have adopted a new positive habit. I hope things get better for you soon
Old 03-19-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What I've been doing lately is forcing myself to slow down my type A tendencies by taking scheduled breaks throughout the day. I also tend to wake up with the engine raring to go and fly through all of the healthy things I "should" be doing, and then once it's all done it's like, so, ummm....now what? Haha.

What I've been doing is breaking my day up into chunks of "productive" activity interspersed with planned things that are sometimes downright silly. Not even altruistic volunteering! Like, I'm going to have lunch by myself at that place I've always been wanting to try. Or, I'm going to go to a film during the middle of the day.

Front-loading the day was burning me out until the evenings were unbearable. By breaking it up a bit, it's really helped! Just a thought.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

PS I also work from home often and it's a blessing and a curse. Sometimes it gets so lonely that I'll even talk to a telemarketer! Just exchanging pleasantries while out and about with neighbors even is a nice boost.